Sore Finger Tips

shellkl

Does anyone else suffer with tender/sore finger tips from blood sugar testing? My tips are so sore at the moment
Thanks

D

Deleted Account

I used to suffer from sore fingers but after 15 years they have toughened up.

Some things to try:
- warm your fingers before pricking. You could hold a hot cup of coffee.
- make sure your pricker is set to go as shallow as will produce blood. More are adjustable.
- if you get no blood, don't squeeze your fingers; this can bruise
- change fingers regularly. I split my day into four (one day part per finger) by meals (and night) and use my left hand for odd dates and even for even dates. If you have one two more sore fingers, avoid these for a few days.
- the bit that seems to be personal is where you prick: some find the side of the finger less painful whereas others find the fleshy bit on the front better and others find the very top the best. Try out different places for you

Or, if you are feeling rich you could give a Libre a try.
But if you take insulin, the usual advice is to still prick your finger to calculate doses as the Libre is not as accurate.

P

pollensa

Does anyone else suffer with tender/sore finger tips from blood sugar testing? My tips are so sore at the moment
Thanks
Sorry to hear, invest in Genteel finger prick tester, it does not hurt, allows you 6 different gradings of depth, i.e. thats because one can test anywhere on the body, fingers, palm, thumb, inner or outer arm and min 2cm above the knee wherever one prefers, its great to have choices, and by that means "happy fingers" not sore, as you can alternate daily, depending a little more than the average to purchase, but then its as everything you pay for what you get, and if that means helping sore tender fingers, little extra expense if one can be in a position to consider, is worth it.....look on google. Genteel, see the clip and how it works, suction method, just hear a click no pain, or prick, love it to bits....

Hope this helps re decisions.

shellkl

Thank you. Mine has an adjustable depth but I find I don’t release blood easily so have to go with a deeper depth.
Will try different places on the finger to see if that helps

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @shellkl ,

I realy can't add much more than what @helensaramay advised.
Though oddly, I do sqeeze a little, but on the finger pad when pricking the side? With no ill effect.
You could try shaking the intended hand, low to your side? (It's a little bit "improv actor" warm up technique.)
Do you prick the side of the fingers?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find washing my hands with warm/hot water before pricking, helps lots. This encourages the blood flow, so you can use less depth to get a drop of blood.

Also, my surgery have changed prescription strips to Gluco Nexus strips which take only the tiniest drop of blood - Brilliant on that score ;)

Best wishes

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the use a higher depth to get the blood out too - what helps me, running the finger under hot water or even soaking it in a glass of hot water, then drying it before testing. I also squeeze it before testing (not after). As well, I have to be well hydrated. I try to drink water when I wake to go to the washroom during the night, It makes the test first thing in the morning easier.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks
Just checking but you do know you don't actually prick the tips or the pads of your fingers where they are the most sensitive, but on the sides.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checking but you do know you don't actually prick the tips or the pads of your fingers where they are the most sensitive, but on the sides.

Sometimes I do sides and those hurt more. It's weird it varies for some reason

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
When I first had my SD Codefree, I screwed the wrong guard on. It was the “alternative site” guard which allows deeper penetration. I now set mine to 1.5 and don’t change my lancet nearly regularly enough!