Diabetic Tattoo

Natalie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone hope you are all well :), i am looking to get my first diabetic tattoo and I have made an enquiry to a local tattoo place with the tattoo that i want, they replied back and also said that i should check if i can get a tattoo with being diabetic, i know we can have tattoos but do i need to check with my dsn before having it done? As i have seen you need good control, but not sure how to go about. Thank you.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Natalie1993. I am covered in tattoos and have never asked my DSN or GP about it. As long as you are well controlled and keep an eye on your bloods you should be fine. Let your tatooist know you are diabetic as well. Healing, for me, as been fine as well. Enjoy the pain lol :) We need to see pics as well. Good luck

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No need to check with anyone, just keep an eye on it and make sure you look after it and yourself afterwards :)

Meganbutters

Hi @Natalie1993 I’m 20 years old and have had diabetes since I was 8, I always wore an id bracelet or necklace but always wanted a tattoo, to show it’s something everyone should be aware of, I had my diabetes tattoo at 19 without checking with anyone and I love it, I first had one the day after I turned 18 and not even my parent knew, the only thing you should be aware of is tattoos on feet!

Natalie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your kind responses, i will definitely be getting my first tattoo and will post a picture when ive had it :) xx

Tom.thomas61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been diabetic for nearly 9 years now, and I have a full sleeve and plenty of other tattoos. The only thing that affected me was after about 6 hours it's best to have a rest and check your sugars! Strangely the person who does my tattoos also has diabetes

Reactions: Manfer87

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
I'm covered in Ink, as you can see from my profile pic, that's my Diabetic tattoo, which did save my life when I had a hypo while snorkelling (another story don't ask.) My artist knows and is brilliant. Even before I knew I was diabetic she was great, but now she keeps checking if I'm OK and if I say no she stops, lets me take my sugar and drink some coke or have a Jelly baby or two.
But just one thing, since my diabetes kicked in I've noticed I am taking a little longer to heal. So make sure you take all the advice they give you about looking after your new ink. And when it's done, please post a picture.

Good luck.

Reactions: gemma_T1

ChrisBeechey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone hope you are all well :), i am looking to get my first diabetic tattoo and I have made an enquiry to a local tattoo place with the tattoo that i want, they replied back and also said that i should check if i can get a tattoo with being diabetic, i know we can have tattoos but do i need to check with my dsn before having it done? As i have seen you need good control, but not sure how to go about. Thank you.

Hey, I am a T1D and am soon to go for my second tattoo. I spoke to my DNS and she states that it will cause no complications as long as you have good control.
If your control is not good it could cause complications through infection as well as having a risk of becoming hypo while having the tattoo done apart from that it is all good.

I can't wait to see the finished picture!

Natalie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! Hope you are all well! Here is the tattoo :)

Attachments

• 838FC9C0-45DD-41B8-94B0-1A2654741A6B.jpeg
    838FC9C0-45DD-41B8-94B0-1A2654741A6B.jpeg
    904.7 KB · Views: 1,621
Reactions: Manfer87

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My wife suggested I get a tattoo she was thinking IDIOT across my forehead I declined.

@Natalie1993 I quite like your tattoo succinct and to the point but artistically understated that is not garish or over done if you see what I mean oh well maybe the wife was right.

Last edited:

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a Diabetes related tattoo done a few years ago now & I have only every had one person know that it is linked to Diabetes lol.

Here it is .. ..

Attachments

• Ink.PNG
    Ink.PNG
    213.1 KB · Views: 208