I Don’t Understand...

Daisydream92

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dr mentioned low blood sugar to me in the past. I thought maybe it could be..because I get so weak and cold at times. I figured that or low blood pressure as my blood pressure is often quite low. Like 80/60. Diabetes tests I had in May were normal. 29mmol A1C

I bought a blood glucose machine. It’s the caresens premier monitor.

Yesterday I had a tuna sandwich on wholegrain bread. After three hours it was 5.8mmog. Hour later it was 4.7mmog. Is that normal?

Well, I took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 6.1mmog. Which indicates prediabetes.
This was concerning to me and scary.

I am 26, female with a healthy diet. I am 59.3kgs.

I am pescatarian which doesn’t eat eggs or dairy (just recently cut dairy) but I eat vegan most days. I eat fruit, nuts, seeds, whole grain bread, soups (bought ones), plant milk (no added sugar), canned tuna and odd canned salmon, wholegrain crackers, brown or wild rice, odd pasta but going for quinoa pasta instead (not sure how healthy it is), olives, herbal tea (no added sugar), water, coconut water and veggie bread spreads. I don’t eat much veggies because our fridge is crazy small and it goes off quick. I do eat the odd salad and veggies once or so a week. I do eat the odd cucumber sandwich. Every meal I have is small. Apart from the odd time I’ve had larger dinners. But never anything unhealthy. Usually if it has happened, it’s too much vegetables I’ve eaten.
I eat no chocolate, no chips, no biscuits or candy, no sugary drinks..no takeaways like McDonald’s. Nothing like that

I am under a fairly stressful lifestyle due to verbal abuse and depression and anxiety. I have daily chest pain, jaw pain, left arm pain and stomach issues. I have had any echocardiogram which showed no heart related issues there. I don’t know what is going on

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I can only comment on the few blood glucose readings you have. They are perfectly normal.
Morning fasting readings are notoriously unreliable, and you need more than one to show trends. If you find yourself in the 6's every single morning, then that trend may indicate the beginnings of a problem, but remember that there are several factors that affect blood glucose, not just food - stress, illness, pain and poor sleep being some of these. If you have a disturbed and restless night, you may well see 6's in the morning. However, your HbA1c was phenomenal, and your readings yesterday after a tuna sandwich were normal.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Daisydream92

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested it again today. It’s been 5-6 hours after eating. My results were 6.1mmog again. Could this be a concern? I spoke to dr she just laughed and didn’t want to do fasting test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested it again today. It’s been 5-6 hours after eating. My results were 6.1mmog again. Could this be a concern? I spoke to dr she just laughed and didn’t want to do fasting test.
All looks perfectly normal to be honest.
For example say I had eaten your tuna sandwich on wholegrain bread my blood would probably have gone from a healthy 5 before eating to probably 10 after.. so your levels are fine. That's what Type 2 looks like.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Not much wrong with that. Much depends on what you did in that 5 to 6 hours. To stop you worrying, try a test immediately before you eat and a second and third test 1 hour and 2 hours after you started the meal. Random tests mean nothing at all and would need to be at leat 11mmol/l before most GPs would take action.

Reactions: zand

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The few readings you have quoted are in the typical range for a non diabetic person.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dr mentioned low blood sugar to me in the past. I thought maybe it could be..because I get so weak and cold at times. I figured that or low blood pressure as my blood pressure is often quite low. Like 80/60. Diabetes tests I had in May were normal. 29mmol A1C

I bought a blood glucose machine. It’s the caresens premier monitor.

Yesterday I had a tuna sandwich on wholegrain bread. After three hours it was 5.8mmog. Hour later it was 4.7mmog. Is that normal?

Well, I took my fasting blood sugar this morning and it was 6.1mmog. Which indicates prediabetes.
This was concerning to me and scary.

I am 26, female with a healthy diet. I am 59.3kgs.

I am pescatarian which doesn’t eat eggs or dairy (just recently cut dairy) but I eat vegan most days. I eat fruit, nuts, seeds, whole grain bread, soups (bought ones), plant milk (no added sugar), canned tuna and odd canned salmon, wholegrain crackers, brown or wild rice, odd pasta but going for quinoa pasta instead (not sure how healthy it is), olives, herbal tea (no added sugar), water, coconut water and veggie bread spreads. I don’t eat much veggies because our fridge is crazy small and it goes off quick. I do eat the odd salad and veggies once or so a week. I do eat the odd cucumber sandwich. Every meal I have is small. Apart from the odd time I’ve had larger dinners. But never anything unhealthy. Usually if it has happened, it’s too much vegetables I’ve eaten.
I eat no chocolate, no chips, no biscuits or candy, no sugary drinks..no takeaways like McDonald’s. Nothing like that

I am under a fairly stressful lifestyle due to verbal abuse and depression and anxiety. I have daily chest pain, jaw pain, left arm pain and stomach issues. I have had any echocardiogram which showed no heart related issues there. I don’t know what is going on
Your bloodsugar levels are fine, your HbA1c beautiful. Your bloodpressure is rather low though. (Eat salt! Helps get mine up!) Maybe try getting a 24-hour monitoring kit from the cardiologist for your heart rate? What they see at the hospital is just a moment, unless something happens while there, they won't be able to tell a thing, I'm sorry to say. If you are very stressed you might hyperventilate and that could cause innocent chestpains, but better safe than sorry. You're not diabetic, but you really need to check the other symptoms out. (Thyroid problems might also mess with your heart, it's an option.). Don't let go of this, it needs handling.

Take care of yourself eh. You matter.
Jo