Morning Numbers Are Higher Than Normal

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all,
I was diagnosed 2 and half years ago at 58 and been eating low carb since. I usually wake up around the 5's with occasional 4 or 6. The last week I have been waking up high 7's and finding I am correcting throughout the day. This has not happened before and I do have some cold bug which is making me exhausted. Could it just be I am ill? I am just surprised how long it is going on. I have no DSN I trust and I am testing more than normal and upped my Lantus. Thanks.

D

Deleted Account

Illness and stress are very likely to raise your BG.
I hope you get your cold soon.
In the meantime, it sounds as if you are doing all the right things ... just remember to relax.

Reactions: newjourney

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Illness and stress are very likely to raise your BG.
I hope you get your cold soon.
In the meantime, it sounds as if you are doing all the right things ... just remember to relax.
Thanks, I have been more stressed and iller than this, without higher readings. Maybe it is just one of those bugs! I have been sleeping, meditating, having relaxing baths and just this morning felt worried. Guess I just need to be more patient!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all,
I was diagnosed 2 and half years ago at 58 and been eating low carb since. I usually wake up around the 5's with occasional 4 or 6. The last week I have been waking up high 7's and finding I am correcting throughout the day. This has not happened before and I do have some cold bug which is making me exhausted. Could it just be I am ill? I am just surprised how long it is going on. I have no DSN I trust and I am testing more than normal and upped my Lantus. Thanks.

Hi there, I too was diagnosed at 57 years of age 13 months ago (not 2 years). I am still on very low doses of insulin (1 unit of novarapid when needed and 6 units of Lantus). I am told I am still in the honeymoon period but was told to watch out for when it starts to rise. My numbers are very similar to yours, mostly between 4 and 6. Do you think it could be your 'honeymoon period' coming to an end? I'm not sure if one can go on for that long but it may be worth thinking about? What units are you currently on, if very low amounts still then it might well be that.

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I too was diagnosed at 57 years of age 13 months ago (not 2 years). I am still on very low doses of insulin (1 unit of novarapid when needed and 6 units of Lantus). I am told I am still in the honeymoon period but was told to watch out for when it starts to rise. My numbers are very similar to yours, mostly between 4 and 6. Do you think it could be your 'honeymoon period' coming to an end? I'm not sure if one can go on for that long but it may be worth thinking about? What units are you currently on, if very low amounts still then it might well be that.
Thanks, wow that is small amounts. I am on 14 units of lantus so much more and average 8 units of rapid. I have been told to watch out as they will rise, maybe it is that. But I am also not well, I hate not knowing what the hell is going today but other days I am chilled and all is fine!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be pretty sure it is your cold. Illness always puts your numbers up. However I wouldn’t worry with the high 7s. I don’t personally consider that high in the scheme of things.

newjourney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be pretty sure it is your cold. Illness always puts your numbers up. However I wouldn’t worry with the high 7s. I don’t personally consider that high in the scheme of things.
Thanks, and a good reminder, I can panic quite easily so will now relax about it.