To Be Diagnosed, Or Not...

Doarnamor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am convinced I am type 2 diabetic, but have not been officially diagnosed as diabetic. I started to suspect 6 months ago, at that time I bought a blood sugar meter and started testing. Two months later I had a heart attack, got a stent put in and later I had a follow-up appointment with the doctor I told him what kind of blood sugar readings I had been seeing and his eyes went wide and he said, "Well your a diabetic!"

Normally he would have sent me for blood tests right away, but I was leaving town right away. The doctor gave me the form for my blood tests and said to have it done when I'm back home and we made another appointment for October 4th. I've been travelling across Canada for the past 4 month and just arrived home. The blood tests include a fasting glucose and an A1c test. The last thing he said to me as I was leaving was, "Watch the carbs."

For the last 4 months I've been monitoring my blood sugar and eating a Low Carb diet. I've also lost a little over 20 lbs. My numbers have, of course, got much better. So much better that I believe at worst my blood tests will come back as pre-diabetic and possibly not diabetic. Or I could go back to eating the old way and get diagnosed as diabetic.

I think I'll stay eating low carb and get diagnosed as not being diabetic because I don't want to have my blood sugar go high again even for a week or three. I also won't have to report being diabetic when applying for health insurance, etc.

But on the other side if I do get diagnosed I might get the stupid expensive test strips covered and get put in the system for whatever extra help or monitoring a diabetic in Canada receives.

So it's my choice, I think I control wether I'm officially diagnosed as diabetic or not. What would you do?

Reactions: snowmonkey

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am convinced I am type 2 diabetic, but have not been officially diagnosed as diabetic. I started to suspect 6 months ago, at that time I bought a blood sugar meter and started testing. Two months later I had a heart attack, got a stent put in and later I had a follow-up appointment with the doctor I told him what kind of blood sugar readings I had been seeing and his eyes went wide and he said, "Well your a diabetic!"

Normally he would have sent me for blood tests right away, but I was leaving town right away. The doctor gave me the form for my blood tests and said to have it done when I'm back home and we made another appointment for October 4th. I've been travelling across Canada for the past 4 month and just arrived home. The blood tests include a fasting glucose and an A1c test. The last thing he said to me as I was leaving was, "Watch the carbs."

For the last 4 months I've been monitoring my blood sugar and eating a Low Carb diet. I've also lost a little over 20 lbs. My numbers have, of course, got much better. So much better that I believe at worst my blood tests will come back as pre-diabetic and possibly not diabetic. Or I could go back to eating the old way and get diagnosed as diabetic.

I think I'll stay eating low carb and get diagnosed as not being diabetic because I don't want to have my blood sugar go high again even for a week or three. I also won't have to report being diabetic when applying for health insurance, etc.

But on the other side if I do get diagnosed I might get the stupid expensive test strips covered and get put in the system for whatever extra help or monitoring a diabetic in Canada receives.

So it's my choice, I think I control wether I'm officially diagnosed as diabetic or not. What would you do?

Well, if it's any help, it looks like you'll only get 200 free strips a year from the government....
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/drugs/teststrips/bg_teststrips.aspx

Personally, I'd probably try to keep my blood sugars in normal range, but I'm not T2 and I don't understand the health system in Canada.

Well done on reducing your levels, good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: Prem51
M

Moggely

If it were me, i would want to know for certain that i am T2 diabetic, not have to wait until things get worse ext. I fund my own meter and test strips,but you will have the advantages of foot checks and eyes ext. Better to be sure than sorry is a good motto. Good luck.

P

pollensa

Sorry to hear heart attack and hope your on the way to wellness. Secondly, super to see if I understand Canada?? does two tests, fasting glucose and A1C, this is how it should be, not just A1C and thats what they do in Spain, I feel its a sound approach to do two supports regards diagnosis, even 2 A1C, also, seems your Doctor gave good advice, watch the carbs.

Not a doctor, but whatever ones situation, meds, no meds, whatever control, it ultimately becomes a personal choice on top as well, and personally from own experience, I took control of my body with everything else taken onboard, in mind, followed four simple lifestyle changes, that have kept excellence of control as noted officially on medical records, by doing just that in my own case no meds whatsoever, there is no going back if control to continue in my view, its up and forward for life, as I dont think one can input personally over and above anything else by eating low carb as your Doc suggested, add exercise on top daily, no snacking inbetween meals if you are able, and try intermittent fasting on top, by doing this is taking control, same time exploring new low carb eating plan which is to continue to keep that control can be exciting, learning and enjoying foods that perhaps were never eaten before, take a peep as some excellent recommendations, guides whether you wish to follow or not, its a highly informative website overall www.dietdoctor.com

Yes, its your choice, to take control, is a very good way of thinking whetehr officially diagnosed or not, you are doing something positive to ensure you keep that control. Good luck.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Personally I would prefer to avoid becoming diabetic. I would keep on doing what you are doing with diet.
I don't think that free tests and 200 strips a year are an incentive to becoming diabetic.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think it is unlikely you were not tested for diabetes while receiving heart treatment and surgery.

I would not force a diagnosis but make sure you are tested at least annually.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm also a Canadian who isn't formally diagnosed. I'm doing the same as you.

Here in Ontario, it takes 3 consecutive (in a row) hb1ac tests in the diabetic range 6.5% or higher over a period of 18 months to get a formal diagnosis. I had one test with a result of 7% (in the diabetic range). Like you, I've been monitoring my blood sugar and eating low carb. I realize that I may not ever (hopefully never) meet the criteria for a formal diagnosis. However, I decided that's fine, I don't want additional months of high blood levels to do further damage to my pancreas and body. I plan on be monitored every 3 months if my doctor agrees. I do consider myself diabetic and hopefully will be a well controlled one.

BTW OHIP doesn't pay for test strips. :( (I don't know about other provincial health plans.) Trillium (the provincial drug plan for low income earners pays a portion of costs, minus the deductible.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you I would keep on with the low carb, keep improving your blood sugars and lose more weight (if you need to) BUT I would also have those blood tests done and the sooner the better. Hopefully it won't be a diabetic diagnosis, but if it is, you need to know and so does your normal doctor.

I have no idea what the Canadian diabetes care pathway is, but here in the UK we have annual retinal screening (important) and annual foot pulse and sensitivity checks (important). We also have regular blood tests for the HbA1c, cholesterol, liver & kidney functions (important). The time span between tests depends on how well or otherwise we are doing, but range between 3 and 12 months.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here in Ontario, it takes 3 consecutive (in a row) hb1ac tests in the diabetic range 6.5% or higher over a period of 18 months to get a formal diagnosis. I
Using that method a lot of people on this forum would not be diagnosed diabetic. With diet they have achieved non diabetic HbA1c numbers well within 18 months. I think most would still say they are diabetic though.

Doarnamor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone who gave their insight. I think I'll continue to do what I'm doing. Continue low carb and loosing weight. Now that my mind is made up, I feel more at ease with it. I appreciate everyones thoughts!

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I would prefer to avoid becoming diabetic. I would keep on doing what you are doing with diet.
I don't think that free tests and 200 strips a year are an incentive to becoming diabetic.
As a diagnosed diabetic he gets to have the eye tests, and the other checks which alert him to any complications.
Remember, long before the BG threshold rises to a definitive T2DM diagnoses, insulin has been high, for probably decades. Its the high insulin that actually drives the pathology in diabetes complications, and not necessarily the above normal BG. Especially as he's already had a Myocardial infarction, a diagnoses will help in no small way, in getting him expert care.