MP's campaign to force testing before driving

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
grh.

I appreciate where you are coming from in wanting no obstacle to your Driving qualifications, and career progression however.......I am of the opinion that there is a world of difference between driving a normal Police response type vehicle at 70 mph in built up areas which is what any ordinary motorist can and does do ! Illegally at times of course........

An Advanced Driver can be called on to drive at up to twice those speeds in all areas and all weather and varying traffic conditions. At those sort of speeds I would want to be 100% certain that the person at the wheel is not someone who MAY suffer either Hypo or Hyper levels at any time. The driver has a massive responsibility to not be a possible danger to him/herself and other road users including pedestrians.

Stress, such as you would have in pursuit or emergency response situations because of the intense concentration and heightened adrenalin involved can and does have a massive effect on Bg levels possibly causing them to soar.......resulting in Hyperglycaemia, the symptoms of which can manifest themselves in some of these things : confusion, sleepyness, blurred vision........to name but 3.

Hypo’s are mainly caused by the following : not enough food, missed meals, delayed meals, too much Insulin, stress, unusual amounts of exercise etc.......all things that are part and parcel of the everyday working life of a frontline Police Officer......even more so in high speed situations. The symptoms also include : faintness, anxiety, blurred vision, irritability, confusion, lack of concentration, personality change.
Just a few things to consider......the life of a Police Officer is extremely stressful and Bg levels WILL cause all sorts of different effects to even the tightest controlled Diabetic.

Doesn’t matter how well controlled you may be normally......a Police Driver is placed in abnormal situations on a daily basis. That is not something I think the General Public should be put at risk from however much the driver thinks he is competent and ‘well controlled.’ In my view there is a far greater risk there to the driver and any passengers, other drivers and Pedestrians. An unacceptable risk.

I have seen the Diabetic Police Officer’s website and read much of it. I am sure there are things that many Diabetic Police Officer’s can do and do very well. I just don’t think Advanced Driving tasks are one of them.

The DVLA guidance you mentioned at Xmas 2010 stated this :
The Secretary of State’s Honorary Medical Advisory Panel on Diabetes and Driving has recommended that drivers with insulin-treated diabetes should not drive emergency vehicles. This takes account of the difficulties for an individual, regardless of whether they may appear to have exemplary glycaemic control, in adhering to the monitoring processes required when responding to an emergency situation.

Now, it is significant that after I had correspondence with the DVLA Chief Medical Adviser a 'caveat' was added to those guidelines which basically states that it is the responsibility of various organisation as to how they interpret those guidelines. Leaving the onus on various Police Forces and other organisations to decide what their Policy would be in relation to ERV's.

*Caveat: The advice of the Panels on the interpretation of EC and UK legislation, and its appropriate application, is made within the context of driver licensing and the DVLA process. It is for others to decide whether or how those recommendations should be interpreted for their own areas of interest, in knowledge of their specific circumstances

I disagree that it is outdated as it was in fact updated in January 2011 shortly after my correspondence with them. It was updated to clarify things but really it only ‘muddys’ the water in my view.

That is my personal view for what it’s worth, calm, dispassionate but in essence just common sense.

I wish you well in your chosen career......a hard job, but very worthwhile. :|

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
An Advanced Driver can be called on to drive at up to twice those speeds in all areas and all weather and varying traffic conditions. At those sort of speeds I would want to be 100% certain that the person at the wheel is not someone who MAY suffer either Hypo or Hyper levels at any time. The driver has a massive responsibility to not be a possible danger to him/herself and other road users including pedestrians.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Cugila on this one grh1904. We had a discussion a while back on the forum after a member thought it was unfair that he couldn't be a Commercial Airline Pilot due to type 1 diabetes, I said back then that I wouldn't feel safe someone flying a plane where I was a passenger knowing they could fall into a hypo or hypo that may impair their judgement or ability to fly the plane, I also think its fair to say I wouldn't want to be on a motorway with a pursuit driver travelling at 100+...... sorry if this offends but it is how I feel. No matter how well controlled we are it is impossible to avoid hypos altogether and the tighter the control the less likely you are of feeling a hypo come on.

Nigel

grh1904

Thanks for the replies chaps, just to clarify: -

I for one have very little or no intention of applying to become an Advanced driver, it's not the career path I want, I'm more "crime" orientated and get a much greater buzz when I get someone sent down for crimes that really do blight peoples lives. (Goy a gut 2 years for a series of dwelling house burglaries).

I only posted my views on the subject of Police advanced driving becasue it seemed relevant to what was being discussed on the thread & to highlight that there are BIG differences between forces. I also posted my comment about me "potentially" being able to become a Class 1 driver to highlight that my force now seem to have embraced the DDA & recognised that (despite you may not want to hear of a T1 diabetic doing pursuits for the obvious reasons you highlighted on) technically they can't stop anyone who is T1 diabetic from applying - as to do so would be discriminatory.

From my personal point of view I am happy that if I did want to apply I would & could be considered - i.e. my diabetes won't prevent me from having a career, I could apply for promotions if I want etc. The point I'm trying to allude to is that when first diagnosed I was almost told to resign, it was strongly hinted at (by a doctor no less!!!), that they'll find me a desk to sit behind but I should use this time to update my CV!!!!!!!!, the point now being that the aged dinosaur of a doctor is no longer used by my force as an occupational health practitioner and the one that is appears to be more modern thinking & up to date.

Anyway (slight de-rail of thread coming up......... .....................) hopefully if my career plans come to fruition then my days in a uniform won't be too long as it's Coppers In Disguise, or Clever In Drink for me.............................................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
grh1904 said:
Thanks for the replies chaps, just to clarify: -

I for one have very little or no intention of applying to become an Advanced driver, it's not the career path I want, I'm more "crime" orientated and get a much greater buzz when I get someone sent down for crimes that really do blight peoples lives. (Goy a gut 2 years for a series of dwelling house burglaries).
Glad to hear it, I feel safer now.......as a matter of interest did you know that there are more arrests for "crime" made by Traffic Officers than any CID Departments in most forces. You see they are what is termed 'Pro-Active' Coppers ! TO's also do more to prevent peoples lives being 'blighted' by addressing the issue of Road Safety and enforcement, catching drug dealers, robbers and many more things too numerous to mention here. It isn't all about catching speeders you know, this is a common misconception that people have. This goes a long way towards preventing the 1000's of Deaths and Injury on the roads,........a much greater 'blight' on peoples lives than the loss of some property, which is usually insured and can be replaced.....unlike a life .......

Anyway (slight de-rail of thread coming up......... .....................) hopefully if my career plans come to fruition then my days in a uniform won't be too long as it's Coppers In Disguise, or Clever In Drink for me.............................................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: We used to call the CID a few names........Clowns in disguise, constantly in denial, confused in drink, carried in drunk ! There's more....... :lol:

grh1904

cugila said:
grh1904 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: We used to call the CID a few names........Clowns in disguise, constantly in denial, confused in drink, carried in drunk ! There's more....... :lol:

Ooohh, you are soooooo cruel.................................

Funny & correct, but ohh so cruel :D :D :D :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously a Grade 3 Bob............ :roll:

Actually thinking about it the driver was probably an ex-Navy man...submarines ! :lol: :lol:

Lewis Haigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So there are some warranted members... anyone got any I.D on public order kit, like a patch on the outer vests I.D'ing them as a diabetic?