Levothyroxine And Diabetes

Wendy18480

Good morning,

Does anyone else take Levothyroxin and Glucophage SR and if so how does it affect you?

My thyroid has not been right for a long time but I'm wondering how much pressure I can put on my GP to sort it out, he tells me I'm within normal range.

I've been on thyroxine since 1986 and I was on a daily dosage of 100mcg for years until pre menopause about 7 years when it was increased to 125mg which I now feel is too high.

I've been on diabetes medication since February this year and am now wondering about the interaction with the thyroid medication.

So much to take in.

Thanks
xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning,

Does anyone else take Levothyroxin and Glucophage SR and if so how does it affect you?

My thyroid has not been right for a long time but I'm wondering how much pressure I can put on my GP to sort it out, he tells me I'm within normal range.

I've been on thyroxine since 1986 and I was on a daily dosage of 100mcg for years until pre menopause about 7 years when it was increased to 125mg which I now feel is too high.

I've been on diabetes medication since February this year and am now wondering about the interaction with the thyroid medication.

So much to take in.

Thanks
xx

Hello Wendy - I take modest doses of levothyroxine, but no other meds whatsoever, so can't offer any personal wisdom on the potential for interaction issues. I've only been on levothyroxine a small handful of month.

Sometimes "being in range" can be a red herring. You need to know your actual thyroid panel results, and go from there. When I was looking at thyroid issues, relating to symptoms I was experiencing, I found the website healthunlocked to be incredibly helpful, to me. Health Unlocked, per se, covers all manner of conditions, but they do have an active Thyroid UK section with knowledgeable members.

The thyroid can be quite a tricky thing to get quite right, so it strikes me it'd be worthwhile you "tooling up" in the knowledge area, for the longer term.