Is a BG of 4 a hypo for type 2 Diabetics

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
When I have told my doctor that my BG has gone below 4 he tells me not to worry as being a type 2 on Metformin I can't have a hypo. But I feel very shaky, get the sweats and end up not being able to string words together - which I thought WAS a hypo. Am I right?

Also I used to test a lot and had good control until the Doctor told me I didn't need to test as a type 2 and now my BG is going up and up. So I'm back to testing - I just hope I can get the strips.

dib

Yes you are right. Anyone can suffer a hypo given the right circumstances. If you are are going below 4 with the symptoms you describe you are experiencing a hypo and need some fruit juice or a glucose tablet to bring levels up again quickly then something low GI like a slice of whole grain bread that will keep levels up over a longer period.
Your doctor sounds seriously misinformed. If you can afford the strips keep testing regularly to keep your earlier good control going.
Good luck.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I agree with dib.......it is amazing the amount of so called HCP's who do not know the fundemental basic mechanism of Diabetes and Hypo's in particular. If your level is below 4 mmol/l ......it's a hypo whatever your Dr says........ :roll:

Metformin does not 'normally' cause a hypo but it is not unknown for it to happen, even people on diet only can experience them. Here is a link to some hypo information in Greetings and Introductions:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18529#p168549

Our advice to try and get strips........

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

C

catherinecherub

Type 2's and hypos.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/222544.php

A survey found that Type 2's experienced hypos, 27% after skipping breakfast, 35% medication related and 46% after excessive exercise. Their hypos occurred whilst working, driving and exercising. It is unpleasant and your liver does not compensate immediately.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
It is true that Metformin doesn't cause a hypo, but you can still have a hypo if you over exercise or skip meals or don't eat enough carbs in your meals..... I wish doctors would go more into details when they explain something to a patient instead of rush them through just to keep the consultation in the 10 minute window.... Really makes me mad! As well as why are we not meant to have to test? We need to know how food affects our system so we eat the right things. I agree that we don't have to test if we feel well, but to say we don't have to test at all is )&^^&%*)& :x

tighthead3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes.
Hi ailz, I have only ever suffered 1 hypo in nearly 3 years and found it to be most unpleasant, I am on metformin and so to say we dont have hypo's is a ridiculous thing to say, although I have only had 1 it is certainly an experience I dont want to have again. Also my GP and DN are both dead set against me testing my BS levels, I have bought my own tester and buy my own strips and to hell with them, its my health they are playing with so I ignore what they say about testing, type 2 is just as bad as type 1 in my opinion and can wreck your life if you let it get out of hand. Continue testing and good luck in the future,

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi
If i was you i would seriously start looking for another HCP as your present one has'nt got a clue what there talking about. Have yourself a browse in the search at the top right of the board index on the board index page. I'm a type 2 also . :D
JK.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I don't think its all the HCP fault more THE PCT Orders from above :evil:

PCTs are placing test strips on the black list for T2 diet controlled or Non Hypo Meds
What i am told by my GP the PCT are cracking down due to costs and cuts

Few examples below you could do a search on your own PTC see if your next :?:

Diet and exercise
Metformin
Pioglitazone
Rosiglitazone
Sitagliptin
Exenatide
SBGM is not routinely advised in
patients on such medication
HbA1c is the preferred measure
http://www.erypct.nhs.uk/upload/HER... Self Blood Glucose Monitoring Guidelines.pdf

Thames Valley, the NHS spends approximately £4.4million each year
on blood glucose testing reagents, more than that spent on oral antidiabetic
drugs. There is no evidence that frequent blood testing is effective at improving
blood glucose control in people with type 2 diabetes who do not use insulin
. Until
further evidence is available from ongoing studies, its use in those patients
should be dictated by specific clinical need.

http://www.oxfordshirepct.nhs.uk/pr...ements/documents/LS59_BloodGlucoseTesting.pdf

Party line turning up every place :?
People with type 2 diabetes who are not using insulin

* There is no evidence that blood testing is more effective than urine testing at improving blood glucose control in people with type 2 diabetes.
* Many people with type 2 diabetes, especially those who are diet-controlled, do not need to perform home blood glucose monitoring. There is no risk of hypoglycaemia, and glycaemic control is better and adequately monitored by regular testing of glycosylated haemoglobin.
* Patients with type 2 diabetes who are taking a sulphonylurea are at risk of hypoglycaemia and so have a greater need to SMBG.
* It is not known what the ideal frequency of self-monitoring should be in type 2 diabetes. Current recommendations are based on consensus opinion.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Self-Monitoring-Blood-Glucose-(SMBG)-in-Diabetes-Mellitus.htm

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The trouble with this is that the medical community view hypos as medicine induced and that is all they can see in terms of prescribing test strips. Western medicine as a whole is very medication orientated rather that treating the patient holistically and looking for other methods of treatment.

In the case of Diabetes HCP's view Hypos as life threatening events, caused by medication, which need medical intervention rather than the view that we have of feeling lousy with a Bg level under 4 !

Technically Metformin does not cause hypos but that does not stop ANYONE from having a Bg level under 4.

Cowboyjim

My low reading of just under 4 was after a strenuous bike ride.
I now keep a choccie or two etc in the bag JIC!
Maybe HCP's are more concerned about levels being too HIGH rather than hypo's because of the damage? Part of their assumption we all eat badly and don't take our meds regularly etc. 8)

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
No he wasn't worried about high readings - in part it was about testing regularly. I told him that as well as high ones, I get quite a few under 4 - which I said was hypo level - and he said it wasn't - even with the symptoms I described above. I was arguing my corner about wanting to test. 11s 2 hours after a meal and then 3 - 4 4 hours after a meal (I'm permanently dieting) may give a reasonable Hba1c but surely can't be healthy

Ailz

Jock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just did a "diabetes awareness course" with a dietician. She told us that Type IIs can't hypo ... the discussion didn't exactly develop into an argument, but several of us "agreed to differ".

When I spoke to her one-to-one afterwards, she seemed to be more concerned that my blood pressure was "low". My BP is 108/60 - is that too low for a male in their mid 50's?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jock said:
I just did a "diabetes awareness course" with a dietician. She told us that Type IIs can't hypo ... the discussion didn't exactly develop into an argument, but several of us "agreed to differ".

Pleased you did ''agree to differ'' Jock. Here a article just posted recently by Cowboyjim regarding type 2 diabetes and hypo's:

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews. ... sid=222520

Nigel

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Anyone, diabetic or not, can have hypos. In my pre-diabetic drinking days, when a bottle of red in a night was not unusual at the weekend, I used to wake in the night sometimes with my heart pounding and my body dripping with sweat.

It's only since becoming diabetic that I've realised I was having alcohol-induced nocturnal hypos. My gallant liver came to the rescue every time! I haven't completely given up the red wine, but I know enough now to ensure that I don't experience that sort of hypo any more. I don't drink regularly, I drink much less at any one time, and I always have a small carb snack with protein before I go to bed.

Less alcohol, weight loss, more exercise . . . diabetes has been good for me! :shock:

Viv 8)

dib

Jock said:

When I spoke to her one-to-one afterwards, she seemed to be more concerned that my blood pressure was "low". My BP is 108/60 - is that too low for a male in their mid 50's?

My BP is often around the 100/60 mark, especially in the mornings and I feel fine on it. If you don't feel dizzy or lightheaded don't worry about it. Mine will usually go up through the day 110/75 at 4.45 this afternoon. But if you take enough readings you will find it can vary hugely even minute to minute.

GillKat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I gave up with the doctor/nurse here very quickly and that was 6 years ago!

I am on glicozide and they said my blood test was normal..........for a non-diabetic, I am Type 2.....and I knew I was going hypo and if it dropped to 3 then that was where I was going everytime.

They told me rubbish, normal was good......yes it maybe if its not still dropping and as I have no alternative doctor, I live rurally in Wales, I just dont bother with them anymore.

There seems to be so much duff information out there and I get the feeling that they dont care, I had far better care when I lived in London.

It seems they dont expect you to read up if you have this and even in the literature there is so much differing advice.

I am an individual and dont want to be shoved in a medical box, I want to manage my own health and get advise when I need and not be treated like a child and the same as all the others who they have shoved into that box. They hate me.........sigh

paulbooth6

Hi

I was diagnosed 2 years ago but think I have sufferd with type 2 for a lot longer.

I have recently started testing to assess the impact of different foods as I dont seem to be able to lose weight.

About a week ago I started feeling weak, had a headache etc.

I did a bg test and my bg was 4.3 (I am normally about 7 but sometimes upto 10 after a meal incidentally with no or very little carbs or sugar).

I have assumed it was a Hypo (the only difference in what I was doing was i had done a little exercise) so beware and make your own assessments.

Grazer

I wish the medical "experts" would understand that testing isn't just about Hypos; that it's also about finding out what different foods, cooked in different ways, eaten at different times, followed by different exercise regimes, do to our blood sugar levels. Only that way can we avoid the complications, and subsequently even greater costs to the NHS, that Diabetes can bring. Do you think we make this clear enough to them, or do we need some sort of petition signed by us all somehow to be sent to them?
Malc

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Jock

The Web MD site gives hypotension (low bp) as less that 90/60 and normal bp as around 120/80.

Hope this helps

Doug