I Tried To Ignore Headlines, But . . . . .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not very clever but can I ask if you follow this regime to reach non diabetic levels how do you maintain?
I think the theory is that once you have lost your fat from around your pancreas that it will work better so that you can have around 2/3 of what you ate before the diet and still have T2 in remission. I don't really know tbh, I never got past 7 weeks on this kind of diet because it made me ill so I stopped. I much prefer LCHF which is your diet and maintenance plan all rolled into one:). Very low cal diets work for some though so I am not knocking them. :)

Reactions: Krystyna23040

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh goodo. Back to people telling you that you must have “the bad type” when you tell them that no, yours can’t be cured with soup/shakes/okra enemas/sticking kale under your eyelids. :banghead:

WHAT!!? Am I taking those okra enemas for nothing? :inpain:

Reactions: Dodo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not very clever but can I ask if you follow this regime to reach non diabetic levels how do you maintain?
That's the main problem which no-one has ever fully answered. Some try a low carb diet after doing the ND others try the only eat 2/3 of what you had before but that effectively means perpetual hunger which for me would make it impossible.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I agree. I have still not told anyone about my diagnosis and this won’t help me decide to do so. I am struggling to keep weight on with low carb. I can just imagine the lecture I’d get if certain family members had read this and knew about my diagnosis. I’d be a skeleton if I followed 850 calories a day! Then they’d think I was anorexic.
Have you tried increasing your fat content in your diet? Worth looking at fat bomb recipes?

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
That's the main problem which no-one has ever fully answered. Some try a low carb diet after doing the ND others try the only eat 2/3 of what you had before but that effectively means perpetual hunger which for me would make it impossible.
Well only 50% are still in remission after 1 year which sort of answers the question.
In NHS terms that is unbridled success because nothing it has ever tried has come close to these success rates. In LCHF terms it’s a bit underwhelming.
Diets are won and lost in the brain not the belly. But the brain needs help. Starving it ain’t helping.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried increasing your fat content in your diet? Worth looking at fat bomb recipes?

I have tried increasing but don’t really like fat apart from on meat or butter. I will take a look st fat bomb recipes. Any recommendations?

Reactions: Serena51

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I have tried increasing but don’t really like fat apart from on meat or butter. I will take a look st fat bomb recipes. Any recommendations?
I’m still on the downslope but have started to look at a few. Almond butter or peanut butter rolled in cocoa looks quite exciting to me

Reactions: Flora123

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oh goodo. Back to people telling you that you must have “the bad type” when you tell them that no, yours can’t be cured with soup/shakes/okra enemas/sticking kale under your eyelids. :banghead:
Totally agree. Must not lose my temper for the next few weeks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

The cheddar and bacon fat bombs are nice, I can't remember where the recipe is but there's a good chance it is on dietdoctor or ditchthecarbs. Enjoy!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well only 50% are still in remission after 1 year which sort of answers the question.
In NHS terms that is unbridled success because nothing it has ever tried has come close to these success rates. In LCHF terms it’s a bit underwhelming.
Diets are won and lost in the brain not the belly. But the brain needs help. Starving it ain’t helping.

For those few people that it has helped I'm sure it has been 100% successful but I do wonder about continuedsuccess.

lindisfel

Expert
lol your reply is far too intelligent for me to even understand! Was there a pretend death in Ukraine? I'm going on a trip via Kiev airport soon..... :nailbiting:
The Ukrainian secret service pretended the Russian journalist? Babchenko, had been killed by Russian based assassin's, but he suddenly got 'resurrected'. It was done to flush out the assassin's they were watching.
It was a bit like the plot of a book, but his poor wife didn't know he wasn't dead.
D.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Would not be any good for a skinny like me I would disappear altogether on that diet. The woman in the paper who was part of the trial said she had nothing but shakes and soup for 17 weeks then she was able to introduce solids slowly She said shakes were not very nice but she used to spice up the soups so they were not bad she lost 4 stone in weight and reversed her diabetes. Would take a lot of will power I think to only have liquids for over 4 months
Even bariatric procedures aren't that long on liquids only.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That is the hardest part. I couldn't on my own version in the 80s. I readded all the 7sts I lost.
Thats why I prefer bariatric option. It physically reduces your stomach too. Much more of an aid than shakes, for me.

Reactions: briped

lindisfel

Expert
The interesting question is; as well as still feeling hungry on lower calorie, do you get the same dramatic lifetime changes to a more ideal metabolic markers status, as in keto, besides lost weight?
D.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I really don't know whether to give you a hug or a 'funny' for that one. Kale under your eyelids? :hilarious: