Hello, I'm A Gp Who Helps People Learn Low Carb Ways Of Eating

fatismyfriend

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Hello there
I am a low carb GP and I teach people how to live a low carb life. I learned my skills from Dr David Unwin and Dr Jen Unwin in Southport. In turn, I am teaching health care workers, so if you have a willing doctor, nurse or health care assistant who wants to come along and observe my sessions, please give them my contact details. I run my sessions in Warrington, Cheshire in Birchwood Medical Centre(open to the patients of Birchwood Medical Centre only), and St Thomas' Church Stockton Heath( open to all). I also have a fledgling group in Princess Park Surgery, Moss Side, Manchester. Until 2014 I did not know that you could send your diabetes into remission with a low carb diet. Now I see patients every week who have done this, so read all about low carb on this great website. Tell your GP and nurse that there are many GPs who do this now, and enable their patients to regain health, come off medication and feel hopeful. It is in NICE Type 2 diabetes December 2015, (as low GI and individualized care) but your GP may not have noticed as it is hidden away in a large document.
Joanne McCormack

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome! It's really good to have you join us. And thanks for the info about the 2015 document...that will prove very useful in November when I have my diabetes review :D

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have bookmarked your site. I am trying to get a low carb diabetic walk and talk 8 week course i[ amd running so practical info on how you are doing this is invaluable!
I notice that the NHS is now prescribing the low cal 800 cal diet a la Professor Taylor (according to the paper in my canteen at work anyway!). Its a shame that this approach isn't included in the research that NICE looks at for its guidelines but I hope the practice grows organically in any case.

Thank you!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @fatismyfriend we are all delighted to have you as a member.

Your work is ultra important if our local GPs and diabetes nurses are ever to get the message that carbs are bad and fat is good. The media needs educating too!

Reactions: ziggy_w and whitech

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. I saw your presentation on YouTube, well done.

We are always discussing numbers here, blood glucose levels, A1c and the dreaded cholesterol numbers but you get to count the most important numbers because you can count up the number of people that you have helped to improve health, attain remission and avoid complications. You must get to smile every single day.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you Joanne @fatismyfriend for changing the lives of many by training those that have influence.

Reactions: Guzzler

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@fatismyfriend how great to have you on this site.
The majority of us are working hard to show our medical professionals that doing this is improving our health rather than making things worse. Unfortunately when things happen such as our cholesterol rising that becomes the focus rather than the loss of four and a half stone, hbaca1 down from 97 to 30, no meds at all, low bp etc! Almost like they are looking for the problem with my way of eating.
Welcome and great to have you on board let’s hope the tide is turning.
@Debandez - interesting?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome to our great forum, of which, if I was not directed by my endocrinologist and his dietician, I would be very ill.

I wish you every success in your quest to deliver care in your community.

My practice has also embraced the low carb approach.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello there
I am a low carb GP and I teach people how to live a low carb life. I learned my skills from Dr David Unwin and Dr Jen Unwin in Southport. In turn, I am teaching health care workers, so if you have a willing doctor, nurse or health care assistant who wants to come along and observe my sessions, please give them my contact details. I run my sessions in Warrington, Cheshire in Birchwood Medical Centre(open to the patients of Birchwood Medical Centre only), and St Thomas' Church Stockton Heath( open to all). I also have a fledgling group in Princess Park Surgery, Moss Side, Manchester. Until 2014 I did not know that you could send your diabetes into remission with a low carb diet. Now I see patients every week who have done this, so read all about low carb on this great website. Tell your GP and nurse that there are many GPs who do this now, and enable their patients to regain health, come off medication and feel hopeful. It is in NICE Type 2 diabetes December 2015, (as low GI and individualized care) but your GP may not have noticed as it is hidden away in a large document.
Joanne McCormack
It works well for those of us T1s who have adopted it as well :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been trying to eat low carb since the 1970s - I wish you well in your endeavors, as the things which HCPs have told me over the years have been very unpleasant, verging on the manic at times - so we really need to get some light and air into the subject if diet in general and the treatment of diabetes in particular.

Reactions: kitedoc and ziggy_w

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. It's really good to see a doctor who is advocating low carbs. I'd like to pass along your email to my family practice doctor when I see her at the beginning of October for my follow up. (She now has at least 2 patients with Type 2 in her practice who are seeing very good results with low carb eating and I think is open to learning more.)

I'm in Canada and many people here (including medical professionals and the diabetes association) still don't know about this way of eating can be beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes. Standard diabetes education here still offers the plate divided into vegetables, grains and protein and one of the pamphlets distributed to newly diagnosed diabetics is sponsored by the Canadian Wheat Marketing Board.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome, I echo the posts of others, it’s great to have a medical professional on the forum who is aware of the possible outcomes that diabetics can achieve by making changes to their diets.
I have saved your website link for reference and so that I have it to hand when I next visit my surgery for a review.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. We need ambassadors within the medical profession. A low-carb diet saved me when struggling as an undiagnosed LADA on just tablets.

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez