Food ( It Gets Worse)

nomorechoccy

I have been taking Metformin since last Friday, the practice nurse who prescribed it said my blood pressure should be checked. My local chemist check blood pressure so I have been in the last 2 days and it has gone higher ! 152109.

She said I need to avoid caffeine whereas previously 2 mugs of coffee each with 2 teaspoons of coffee in each were the first thing I did when I woke.

Then she said to avoid spicy food OMG giving up potatoes nd pasta was bad but I love Chillies.

I am not a happy bunny!!
ok rant over

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Firstly, why didn't your practice nurse check your blood pressure? They have all the gear to do that.

Secondly, have you made an urgent appointment to see your GP given that you have high blood pressure?

Thirdly, do you have any reference for spicy foods increasing BP? If you want a really dodgy reference for the opposite, try https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ressure-symptoms-food-spicy-salt-heart-attack. However there are other versions of the same information. Looks like something was published in 2017 and all the usual suspects piled in.

I assume that you are talking about chilli con carne? If so did/do you eat it with rice? My personal view is that if you skip the rice you would still be fine. You can also spice up a vegetable chilli.

Oh, and look up white coat syndrome. You would be better off buying your own BP monitor and checking your BP at home in relaxed surroundings. Going to the chemist worrying about your BP is quite likely to push the reading up. I was getting high readings at my 6 monthly review so bought a BP monitor and found that readings at home were significantly lower. At my one and only BUPA medical check, courtesy of the firm I then worked for, it took three attempts to get my BP down to normal levels as I slowly relaxed.

Reactions: briped

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note the instructions for measuring blood pressure...
To take a measurement, you need to be relaxed and comfortably seated, under comfortable room temperature.
Avoid bathing, drinking alcohol or caffeine, smoking, exercising or eating 30mins before taking a measurement.
Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor.
Sit upright with your back straight.
Sit with your back and arm being supported.
The arm cuff should be placed on your arm level with your heart.
Do not talk.

Not all HCPs keep to these instructions so I wonder about a chemist.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To take a measurement, you need to be relaxed and comfortably seated, under comfortable room temperature.
Avoid bathing, drinking alcohol or caffeine, smoking, exercising or eating 30mins before taking a measurement.
Do not talk.

It can be helpful at the docs to drink water before and remember to breathe long and deep, breathing out more out than in, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Serena51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do not talk.

Just what I was about to say! Just one thing to add, it’s best to sit quietly for 5 - 10 mins before the measurement.
I have white coat syndrome, so I take one reading per day at home for the week leading up to any routine appt. and the HCPs at the surgery take an average of those readings.

Reactions: Brunneria

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do not talk.

My GP has dispensed with his machine, and does it manually with a manometer and stethascope like of yore. The pump-you-up machines are renowned for giving false highs, and so our practice has reverted to old fashioned methods, I find I get variable results from my home machine, and one thing to bear in mind is that the arm takes a while to recover, so needs a significant pause between repeat readings.

nomorechoccy

wow thanks for all your comments.

I used the chemist because I did not need to make an appointment.

How does bathing affect BP

As regards alcohol I have to admit to being dependent on it especially after losing my partner. Some days I drink 2 bottles of wine. It helps with the loneliness, of my 3 children only 2 have anything to do with me.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@nomorechoccy - have you tried speaking to anyone except us about the alcohol?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP has dispensed with his machine, and does it manually with a manometer and stethascope like of yore. The pump-you-up machines are renowned for giving false highs, and so our practice has reverted to old fashioned methods, I find I get variable results from my home machine, and one thing to bear in mind is that the arm takes a while to recover, so needs a significant pause between repeat readings.
Hmm - when I have my BP tested it is with one of the automatic machines, and when it is normal the nurse opens the cuff and yanks it really tight, often pinching my skin, and then takes it again straight away - I suspect that they have to get what they expect....

Reactions: Geoffno6

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

As regards alcohol I have to admit to being dependent on it especially after losing my partner. Some days I drink 2 bottles of wine. It helps with the loneliness, of my 3 children only 2 have anything to do with me.
It could be advisable to stop the Metformin - the leaflet advises against drinking whilst taking it - but two bottles of wine a day is roughly ten times the advised amount.,Perhaps you could consult your HCPs about bereavement counseling.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Now that you have been to the chemist and been told that your BP is high, you should go and see your GP. Try and be up front when asked the usual questions about stress, drinking and stuff as that is all part of the diagnostic process.

Often several things combine to undermine your health, and your surgery needs to be aware of them all to treat you effectively.

Reactions: Geoffno6

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm - when I have my BP tested it is with one of the automatic machines, and when it is normal the nurse opens the cuff and yanks it really tight, often pinching my skin, and then takes it again straight away - I suspect that they have to get what they expect....
Guaranteed to put anyone's blood pressure up!!! ;) As you say, "they have to get what they expect"!!!

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make an appointment with your doctor and have your BP checked then. If it is dangerously high he could prescribe some medications to bring it down - at least until you can get it under control. I hate taking BP meds but the alternative of having a stroke is even less appealing. Also try to reduce the vino to a couple of glasses a day. I still haven't given up my John Powers and have no intention on doing do, but I limit it to one dram a night.