Mild Bdr

Jmennaid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August 2017 diet controlled until March this year when I started taking Metformin.

My first retinopathy screening in September 17 showed mild background diabetic retinopathy (BDR) in my left eye. Recent scan last week shows no retinopathy. I didn't think this could be reversed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done You!

Apparently when retinopathy is at the lower end of the scale it can reverse or fluctuate after an improvement in bg levels so keep doing what you are doing because it is certainly having a positive affect.

Reactions: Jmennaid

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please would folks use the full description and then indicate what abbreviation they will use thereafter? For instance, "Diabetic Background Retinopath (DBR)" I was taught to always write the term in full and then, in brackets, put the abbreviation, at the first use of the term and then using the abbreviation for the remainder of the passage/document.

This is not, seemingly, a widely known abbreviation. In fact, there are a number of things it could relate to. It took me a while to work out what DBR meant, even though I'm aware of the term 'Diabetic Background Retinopathy'

Newcomers, and not-so new comers, will struggle with this sort of thing.

Many thanks :)

Dark Horse

I think the DBR was a typo for BDR= background diabetic retinopathy.

At low levels of BDR, the retinopathy grade can bounce about from year to year between 'mild retinopathy' and 'no retinopathy'. Also, the screening test is designed to pick up sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy and can be less accurate at telling the difference between no retinopathy and background (which does not affect your sight and does not need treatment).

Reactions: Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the DBR was a typo for BDR= background diabetic retinopathy.
Oops!!! I hadn't noticed there were two 'versions' ;)
I think this just demonstrates the need to specify what the abbreviation refers to, in all posts/forums etc. Just good practice and with very good reason, in my opinion :)

Jmennaid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please would folks use the full description and then indicate what abbreviation they will use thereafter? For instance, "Diabetic Background Retinopath (DBR)" I was taught to always write the term in full and then, in brackets, put the abbreviation, at the first use of the term and then using the abbreviation for the remainder of the passage/document.

This is not, seemingly, a widely known abbreviation. In fact, there are a number of things it could relate to. It took me a while to work out what DBR meant, even though I'm aware of the term 'Diabetic Background Retinopathy'

Newcomers, and not-so new comers, will struggle with this sort of thing.

Many thanks :)
My post has been edited, thank you for the input.

Survivor 28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done to you in reversing this condition.

I have been a type 2 for 20 years, and it was a big shock to me last year when I was diagnosed with mild background diabetic retinopathy (BDR) in both eye's for the very first time although I have been attending the photographic sessions for many years.

Since then I have taken better control of my blood sugar and this years retinopathy test shows it has been reversed.

It is possible to do this at the early stage as Guzzler has mentioned, so an extra special reason to keep blood glucose levels in check.

Good luck for the future.

Reactions: Serena51

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My first retinopathy screening in September 17 showed mild background diabetic retinopathy (BDR) in my left eye. Recent scan last week shows no retinopathy. I didn't think this could be reversed?

I've had 2 'normal' scans now, after adopting a low carb diet and keeping good control of my sugars for over a year.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had 2 'normal' scans now, after adopting a low carb diet and keeping good control of my sugars for over a year.

And my retinopathy was bad enough to warrant macular injection therapy. Before anyone credits the injections too much, the condition just stayeed broadly the same while I was having them.;.......