Injection rooms?

eabhamurphy

Omg I love that tshirt slogan....brilliant!

Yeah I inject at the table right when the food is served, I need to see it to gauge how much to inject and I dont care if people see me inject or if they think its wierd. When anyone has ever said anything i have said to them 'Yeah lets discuss how YOU feel about my diabetes, it must be difficult for you, life changing I imagine'. They are usually pretty silent about the whole issue then.

Although Ive found most people are indifferent. The other day I was out to dinner with my bosses and I injected at the table, as I was doing so my boss decided to introduce me to someone and he said 'Theres Eabha, oh wait - she is just shooting up in the corner at the moment - we will come back to her later', he was joking - it was funny - I dont take it too seriously when people make fun of it.

Injection rooms - not for me. not ever.

:) Eabha

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I actually noticed someone injecting in the food court of a shopping centre the other day. Nobody else seemed to notice and I really wanted to go and give the guy a big cheer. You'll be pleased to know that I just went on my way and minded my own business.

RussG

Last week I injected on a Virgin pendolino train coming back from London. The person next to me seemed to notice but just looked away. I have to say though, putting the little lilac cap back on the needle was a challenge and a half.

TigerBao

Many's the time I've put the cap on wrong and the needle's come out the side and impaled my finger. Kudos to you for managing to replace it while on a moving train lol

Injected in the park yesterday, ate a subway with my lady on a picnic blanket, and because I was wearing shorts I assumed the cossack dance position and injected my leg, nobody seemed to care.

If anyone asks I'll probably put on my best Blade voice and say something about needing my serum :p xD

RussG

Yeah - I've stuck it through the side of the cap as well once.

Putting it back on during the train journey I had to take a couple of deep breaths and still myself. Felt like I was cracking a safe. I may have said 'easy now' to myself as I did it. :oops:

Like the Blade reference!

PS Eabha - your response in the food court has to be one of the best I've ever heard. Have filed that one for future use.

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
eabhamurphy said:
"When anyone has ever said anything i have said to them 'Yeah lets discuss how YOU feel about my diabetes, it must be difficult for you, life changing I imagine'. They are usually pretty silent about the whole issue then"

:) Eabha

QUITE SIMPLY GENIUS!

Clare

Clairslloyd

I am a T2 but often read throught the T1 posts. I love this post and so wish there was "like" button on here. I admire you all :)

imalittlefishy

rglennon said:
Last week I injected on a Virgin pendolino train coming back from London. The person next to me seemed to notice but just looked away. I have to say though, putting the little lilac cap back on the needle was a challenge and a half.

I was told at diagnosis (nearly 9 years ago now! eek!) not to replace the lilac cap because of the risk of stabbing myself, and just to replace the large clear cap. Anyone else do this? Or is it normal practice to replace both??
xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I only ever use a needle once so just put the clear cap back on and then store it for disposal if out or put it straight in the Sharps bin if at home. I never put the Lilac cap back on, just dispose of it in the rubbish bin or whatever.

RussG

Nobody told me either to put the lilac cap on or not to - I'm just extra tidy, I guess, and don't like lots of little plastic bits lying around, falling out of the bag etc.

I also never reuse a needle though.

ACMG

Tbh, I do not see what the big fuss is with injecting in a public loo unless your gonna be smearing your needles in a dirty toilet. People, get over yourselves and stop worrying about what others think. If they want to give dirty looks just stare right back. They'll soon look away :)

LauraNoraLoo

I experienced a really bad situation in my first job with regards to injecting in public.

It was my first job at just 17 so i was nervous anyway. I never falunt my injections around and always make sure that i do it discretly and cover myself up e.g. hold the pen under the table and what not. Now i was doing this at work for about 3 weeks. I got a regualry gang of people who would sit at the table with me and they didnt mind, they found it intersting in fact.

I got called into the office one day and the "boss" of our section told me that someone had complained about me doing my injection in front of people and the way that i "falunt" myself when i do it! She told me that it wasnt acceptable and that i should from then on go into the toilet and inject or use a room that noone was in, this included my finger pricking as well!

Annoyed wasnt the word! How dare someone who wasnt near enough to see me take my injection have me removed! Was it hurting them? No. Could they look away? Yes. I never found out who reported me and from then on i felt arkward in the work place! I left around 3 months later, and im now working in a school which respect the fact that im diabetic and agree its not something that i should have to hide!

TigerBao

Isn't there anything in the discrimination act so you can test your sugars wherever if you need to, or something? I mean if I'm going badly hypo I'm not gonna look for the nearest unoccupied room to find out my sugars are on 2.4, to hell with anyone who has a problem with my "self harm." Seems unfair to me that in a place of work you'd have someone complain about you doing that at all, it's not like it takes long or dramatic.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're going badly hypo, don't waste time testing blood glucose levels, get some sugar inside you. In some work places eg operating theatres, cleaning manufacturing rooms, either action might mean you have to leave the room.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ACMG said:
Tbh, I do not see what the big fuss is with injecting in a public loo unless your gonna be smearing your needles in a dirty toilet. People, get over yourselves and stop worrying about what others think. If they want to give dirty looks just stare right back. They'll soon look away :)

Sorry, but a Public Toilet by it's very name is never going to be hygenic......it can never be spotless. It isn't like the ones you have at home where you can be scrupulous in the cleaning and minimise any germs etc. You don't have to dip the needles in the loo to pick up germs.

Public Toilets are places full of bacteria, germs and micro-organisms which can be injurious to your health. People touch things without washing their hands and no surface you touch is going to be bacteria free......

That's why those of us who would NEVER inject in a Toilet encourage others not too either. Why start people on a bad habit that one day may backfire on them.......

You might want to inject there.......I for one never would. I inject where I need to, when I need to and how I need to.......in the cleanest area available, which definitely isn't a Toilet.....

sd29

Injecting and eating out

I have just been put on insulin, and am fine with it, in fact, didn't realise how rough I felt until they started it! The question is on injecting and eating out etiquette.

How do other people handle this? I tried eating out the other day with a friend, but was too shy and concious of injecting to go anywhere but the ladies toilet, and to be honest, that's been the only time since diagnosis etc. in the last few weeks that I cried! I don't know why, but it made me feel really bad, even though I knew I was being silly. :oops: Please could anyone advise me on how they handle this?

RussG

Re: Injecting and eating out

Hi sd29,

I'm also a recently diagnosed late onset T1 / LADA, but I started on insulin in December. There are quite a few threads about this, so this may get merged with others.

Broadly people can only give you their experience and you need to come to your own view. I made the conscious decision that I would inject wherever and whenever I needed to. I just open a button on my shirt or slightly raise my t-shirt and inject at the table.

Whatever you do though, you've got to be comfortable. If you don't feel right doing it at the table, then don't. This is going to be a lifetime condition, so there's plenty of time to get yourself used to this. Take your time and go at your own pace. It's not silly - you can do this.

Good luck!

Leeds Lass

Re: Injecting and eating out

Hi there, my other half is the same he does where ever he needs to and to be honest when we first got together and started going out for meals etc i didn't batter an eyelid, it's something he needs to do and i've never seen anyone giving us funny looks.

Saying all that you need to do what you feel comfortable with and i'm sure given time you'll probably get fed up of running to loo and just do it where ever you are.

LL x