What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@HarrisonK -- Glad to see you back.

Woke up and tested. Blood sugars were 5.4. Twenty minutes later before coffee, the test showed 4.8. If I had to guess, 4.8 was probably correct as I only had one meal yesterday and worked out 50 minutes on the elliptical trainer before bed.

Will be off to an appointment with my GP in an hour. This time, I want to make sure I know what tests he wants to have. Last time he sprang a couple of surprises on me. Don't do well with surprises, especially since I am already nervous anyway when I am there. Will also try for test strips, but dont hold out too much hope.

Hope everyone is doing well.
@ziggy_w Best wishes for Drs appointment. Why the nerves your data looks really good? I do know what you mean about that situation though, it always gives a false impression of my blood pressure. Push hard for those strips

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morning everyone 4.3 today not sure what to do as I had breakfast yesterday (toast) and had a low of 3.8 two hours later I treated the hypo with a glass of Fanta orange but it made me quite sick afterwards any suggestions please. Have a good day everyone

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w Best wishes for Drs appointment. Why the nerves your data looks really good? I do know what you mean about that situation though, it always gives a false impression of my blood pressure. Push hard for those strips

I hate the feeling when I am not in control. Last time, he surprised me and tested for ketones in the urine. Turned out they were very high. (Probably because I had been eating very little for quite a while and overdoing the exercise).

Anyway, he sent me to hospital, where they wanted to keep me right away without any further testing just based on the high ketones in the urine (even though blood sugars were low with 4.6 on no medication) sending my anxiety through the roof.

After testing my bloods for acidity, they decided to let me go home after all, but the hospital doc told me to stop the low carb diet (which of course I didn't as I was not willing to trade high blood sugars for lower ketones tbh). Turns out that low carbing doesn't cause metabolic acidosis anyway based on the following research https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5608861/.

However, can't even begin to tell you how stressful the whole episode was for me.

With respect to the strips, I am intending to put up a good fight -- but still am not holding out much hope.

Reactions: Cumberland

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the feeling when I am not in control. Last time, he surprised me and tested for ketones in the urine. Turned out they were very high. (Probably because I had been eating very little for quite a while and overdoing the exercise).

Anyway, he sent me to hospital, where they wanted to keep me right away without any further testing just based on the high ketones in the urine (even though blood sugars were low with 4.6 on no medication) sending my anxiety through the roof.

After testing my bloods for acidity, they decided to let me go home after all, but the hospital doc told me to stop the low carb diet (which of course I didn't as I was not willing to trade high blood sugars for lower ketones tbh). Turns out that low carbing doesn't cause metabolic acidosis anyway based on the following research https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5608861/.

However, can't even begin to tell you how stressful the whole episode was for me.

With respect to the strips, I am intending to put up a good fight -- but still am not holding out much hope.
Wow, scary story no wonder you are apprehensive. Hope this is much calmer for you,

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all 4.9 today
Looks like an amazing day ahead
@ziggy_w hope drs goes okay I’d be so annoyed about the ketones test and admission can quite see where you’re coming from I’d be very nervous too. Good luck hope no surprises for you
@Goonergal hope your sleep resolves soon
@DJC3 hope your Cornwall drive goes well - at least sunny day ahead should help.
@Canvaspic looks like you’re getting back on form
I need to get out there while sun shining we all need the vitamin D.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornng All. 5.2 at 0800. @ianpspurs snap! But meter moods or not I’ll take it. Yesterday I treated myself to one large apple from my tree. It was gorgeous, not too sweet but refreshing. I ate it with some fat (cheese) maybe thats why it didnt affect me too much. It will be the only one this autumn the tree only produced 3!
Have a great day everyone in the sunshine (and those not in the sunshine).

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
9.3 this morning, which is nice. I went to bed at 8.30 last night and slept through to 8.30 this morning. I thought I felt a bit tired!

@Cumberland - hurray on the 9.3, it's nice to get into single figures, I want to hang the flags out.

In fact, I will

DIY-fabric-bunting-from-old-shirts-4.jpg

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 6.9 today at 8am. Went for hbA1c test yesterday. Results should be interesting as my fasting blood sugars have been in range but I have been eating out a lot more than usual and not testing afterwards during the 3 weeks of my visitors.:nailbiting: Enjoy your day one and all.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all. Phew what a sleep. I had a headache when I went to bed and took some ibrupufen ( is that how you spell it?) ...slept through till 8 .... ...anyhow its sunny and 5.4 on the blood meter. ...on with the day..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mornng All. 5.2 at 0800. @ianpspurs snap! But meter moods or not I’ll take it. Yesterday I treated myself to one large apple from my tree. It was gorgeous, not too sweet but refreshing. I ate it with some fat (cheese) maybe thats why it didnt affect me too much. It will be the only one this autumn the tree only produced 3!
Have a great day everyone in the sunshine (and those not in the sunshine).
Great result @PenguinMum and glad you enjoyed the apple. Surprised you don't have many we have an absolute glut. Some trees so laden the branches snap.

Reactions: Cumberland

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all 4.9 today
Looks like an amazing day ahead
@ziggy_w hope drs goes okay I’d be so annoyed about the ketones test and admission can quite see where you’re coming from I’d be very nervous too. Good luck hope no surprises for you
@Goonergal hope your sleep resolves soon
@DJC3 hope your Cornwall drive goes well - at least sunny day ahead should help.
@Canvaspic looks like you’re getting back on form
I need to get out there while sun shining we all need the vitamin D.

Thanks, @shelley262. Just returned from the appointment with my GP and gave it my very best -- alas to no avail. The GP said he couldn't prescribe testing strips due to the rules. He said if insurance found out he did prescribe them, he would have to pay for them himself. Was also complaining to me about the many non-sensical rules GPs have to abide by, which gives them little autonomy in deciding how to treat a patient. Just goes to show how important it is to change the rules. All in all, I would say it was a good meeting. Blood tests on Thursday next week.