Hello, I'm A Gp Who Helps People Learn Low Carb Ways Of Eating

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Well this is deeply worrying. Lancashire seems to have all the best doctors. This cannot do. Us folk in Yorkshire need to plan a border raid and snatch some of them over to the sunny side of the hill.
In the meantime @fatismyfriend keep up the excellent work and when the taxi arrives just surrender quietly.

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm ill on too low a low carb diet but that doesn't mean after my op I will be. Fingers crossed. I'm scared of the serious meds I'm on and whether they'll over react to zero carb diets. These I feel need reducing or changing slowly, rather than me out of the blue going on zero carbs. It would be silly to do that on all the meds I take. They can kill me, especially insulin.
A task I know needs monitoring carefully and I'm not qualified to do this myself. Insulin reduction I'm very confident with but betablockers, blood pressure, diuretics and thyroid meds... Gulp! I'm not. You?
I ask out of curiosity not for medical advice. I'm fortunate in that I have the best endo in the North of England. I know because I've travelled all over UK in my job and lived out of hotel rooms and bought/sold various homes in various areas. I've seen a few endo's, even in pregnancies. I remember my Hastings endo who was waiting for me to finish breast feeding to try injected Victoza. We were so excited at its prospects. Higher dose did absolutely nothing for me. :(

It’s probably too obvious and been ruled out already but I’ve read a few times that low carb can cause low electrolytes which can cause fast heart rates. If it hasn’t been checked could that be your issue? It certainly sounds slow and steady entry into low carb and progress to your comfortable level gradually. Good luck.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Joanne and welcome

Your words are music to our ears. A symphony in fact.

I am currently building up a file to take into my surgery. The file includes my story so far since diagnosis. Also a booklet forum members have put together 'inspirational stories' where many of us wrote in our own words about our journeys. The usual theme running through each one. Diagnosis. Unhelpful instructions given (In a nutshell). People fumbling in the dark to find their way to a healthier lifestyle that might not have to involve meds or it being the progressive disease you are told it is and just being able to take control of our blood sugars. 'Don't bother testing'. 'Eat anything you like but try to cut down on sugars'. "Come back in 6 months'. DESMOND courde where you are offered tea and biscuits. Then we discovered this forum. And the magic happened. But it's not really magic. The LCHF woe just works, for type 1 and type 2's. So the individual stories include everyone getting their bloods to non diabetic levels and sometimes from a very high HbA1c and usually in a very short space of time. Its a powerful tool in our battle (that's what it feels like) I'm also taking a blood glucose testing leaflet that @Rachox kindly put together. It shows must how important it is for us to test go gain that control. My gp told me I could have reversed it by low cal/low fat diet but when I asked for stats from the surgery to see how many pts had done so it seems I'm the only one apart from post bariatric surgery pts. It's a large surgery with 8 Drs, 4 nurses, 2 paramedic practitioners and other hca's. I was shocked but not surprised.

I can now add your details to my file as well as Dr Unwins paper. I expect a brick wall but you have given us hope. We are trying to get into the media to spread the word and just last week a group of us met up in Birmingham. Supported by DCUK and their PR team we had photos and videos done in the hope of getting our story out there. Took our big pants etc as we have all lost a significant amount of weight on our journey to better health. Up to now we have managed a few newspaper and magazine articles between us as individuals and a radio interview. But we thought together our voice would travel further. Hoping we van vet onto mainstream tv within 12 months. Really spread the word.

Just waiting to hear from DCUK re the next step from the PR exercise.

@CherryAA is working on a project too which should make a significant impact so I'm tagging her in.

Is there a list of other hcp's who teach people the same thing?

Thank you for joining.
@Debandez hi hope you don't mind me asking you mentioned a meeting in Birmingham recently. Are you from Birmingham if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Joanne and welcome

Your words are music to our ears. A symphony in fact.

I am currently building up a file to take into my surgery. The file includes my story so far since diagnosis. Also a booklet forum members have put together 'inspirational stories' where many of us wrote in our own words about our journeys. The usual theme running through each one. Diagnosis. Unhelpful instructions given (In a nutshell). People fumbling in the dark to find their way to a healthier lifestyle that might not have to involve meds or it being the progressive disease you are told it is and just being able to take control of our blood sugars. 'Don't bother testing'. 'Eat anything you like but try to cut down on sugars'. "Come back in 6 months'. DESMOND courde where you are offered tea and biscuits. Then we discovered this forum. And the magic happened. But it's not really magic. The LCHF woe just works, for type 1 and type 2's. So the individual stories include everyone getting their bloods to non diabetic levels and sometimes from a very high HbA1c and usually in a very short space of time. Its a powerful tool in our battle (that's what it feels like) I'm also taking a blood glucose testing leaflet that @Rachox kindly put together. It shows must how important it is for us to test go gain that control. My gp told me I could have reversed it by low cal/low fat diet but when I asked for stats from the surgery to see how many pts had done so it seems I'm the only one apart from post bariatric surgery pts. It's a large surgery with 8 Drs, 4 nurses, 2 paramedic practitioners and other hca's. I was shocked but not surprised.

I can now add your details to my file as well as Dr Unwins paper. I expect a brick wall but you have given us hope. We are trying to get into the media to spread the word and just last week a group of us met up in Birmingham. Supported by DCUK and their PR team we had photos and videos done in the hope of getting our story out there. Took our big pants etc as we have all lost a significant amount of weight on our journey to better health. Up to now we have managed a few newspaper and magazine articles between us as individuals and a radio interview. But we thought together our voice would travel further. Hoping we van vet onto mainstream tv within 12 months. Really spread the word.

Just waiting to hear from DCUK re the next step from the PR exercise.

@CherryAA is working on a project too which should make a significant impact so I'm tagging her in.

Is there a list of other hcp's who teach people the same thing?

Thank you for joining.
Great to see a GP on board:) welcome .let's hope it becomes a flood soon !

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr McComarck - quick question for you. Why do you suggest coming off sglt2 inbibiors (canegefozin etc.) before going low carb? My non medical understanding is that these drugs cause excretion of glucose via the kidneys. In your practical experience do they not work well when going low carb or are they simply superfluous?
https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm617360.htm

You might want to take a look at the warnings now coming out on these drugs

Jinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic since 1986, I would love to be able to follow a low carb diet, not sure this is possible being vegan, any tips?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It’s probably too obvious and been ruled out already but I’ve read a few times that low carb can cause low electrolytes which can cause fast heart rates. If it hasn’t been checked could that be your issue? It certainly sounds slow and steady entry into low carb and progress to your comfortable level gradually. Good luck.
Blood tests came back good no problems except low iron and insufficient vitd3 but 6mths later I was put on iron tablets after scans and invasive angiogram which confirmed heart disease. I've been informed that I could have fibromyalgia which exasibates pain messages so in none fibromyalgia sufferers heart disease of my level wouldn't cause severe palpitations and chest pains with added breathlessness (low hemoglobin I blood). Scatica pain is possibly exasibated too.
Bloods were great except for iron deficiency.

I eat extra beef and green veg. Loads of eggs anyway. I have salty ham, well most hams have salt in them.
Magnisium was good too.

Fresh blood tests saying same but low iron again and not premenopausal as thought but maybe pituitary gland is messing around but unsure as hypothyroidism patients get strange hormonal results anyway.
Strangely liver and ovaries have had their conditions solved.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic since 1986, I would love to be able to follow a low carb diet, not sure this is possible being vegan, any tips?
Make dietary changes slowly and monitor your insulin needs more frequently.
I think diet doctor.com may be of use to you, recipes wise.
There is a vegan keto following but I think through fb.
Just monitor more and adjust insulin in small amounts.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to check out Youtube and elsewhere for interviews with Dr Carrie Diulus (cdiulus on twitter) who is a Type 1 keto vegan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Jinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make dietary changes slowly and monitor your insulin needs more frequently.
I think diet doctor.com may be of use to you, recipes wise.
There is a vegan keto following but I think through fb.
Just monitor more and adjust insulin in small amounts.
Thanks, I will check out the site :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well this is deeply worrying. Lancashire seems to have all the best doctors. This cannot do. Us folk in Yorkshire need to plan a border raid and snatch some of them over to the sunny side of the hill.
In the meantime @fatismyfriend keep up the excellent work and when the taxi arrives just surrender quietly.
Ha ha
This reply is hilarious.

On serous note a married couple post that Nottinghamshire has been rubbish too.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez hi hope you don't mind me asking you mentioned a meeting in Birmingham recently. Are you from Birmingham if you don't mind me asking. Thanks
I don't mind at all. I'm not, I'm from Blackpool but I arranged a meeting in Birmingham as it seemed a convenient location for people commuting. People travelled from up and down the country for the meeting.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood tests came back good no problems except low iron and insufficient vitd3 but 6mths later I was put on iron tablets after scans and invasive angiogram which confirmed heart disease. I've been informed that I could have fibromyalgia which exasibates pain messages so in none fibromyalgia sufferers heart disease of my level wouldn't cause severe palpitations and chest pains with added breathlessness (low hemoglobin I blood). Scatica pain is possibly exasibated too.
Bloods were great except for iron deficiency.

I eat extra beef and green veg. Loads of eggs anyway. I have salty ham, well most hams have salt in them.
Magnisium was good too.

Fresh blood tests saying same but low iron again and not premenopausal as thought but maybe pituitary gland is messing around but unsure as hypothyroidism patients get strange hormonal results anyway.
Strangely liver and ovaries have had their conditions solved.

I too have low ferretin consistently, low d3 often, low folate, half a thyroid, no gallbladdder recently and had a new diagnosis of T2 (at 54 so not horrific but there)

Raising my d3 (along with b12) has helped with aches and pain. I had lots all a bit off and came to the conclusion my issues probably weren’t all from any one thing but a cumulative effect. Got the hb1ac down to 44 and now also working on the ferretin

You seem to have a good team looking after you but I would be getting every level I can find to it’s OPTIMUM level (NOT nhs minimums) even if you have to research and buy high quality relevant supplements. If you get them all supporting you the best way you can’t it’ll rule out some issues and might just mean those remaining issues improve a little. You may find you have a little extra energy to help cope too. It’s hard work but good health I see so worth it. Well done on keeping working on it

Reactions: zand and Serena51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Jinn - A number of T1s do choose to use low carbing as part of the diabetes management, and I'm sure some will be vegan.

DCUK is developing a Low Carb Programme, for T1s, and early adopters/interested parties are, I think, just awaiting a launch date. I do know the similar T2 programme copes with veggie and vegan ways of eating, so I envisage the T1 module will too.

If you'd like to know more, there are a number of threads on the forum, or send me a PM.

lovableleo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there
I am a low carb GP and I teach people how to live a low carb life. I learned my skills from Dr David Unwin and Dr Jen Unwin in Southport. In turn, I am teaching health care workers, so if you have a willing doctor, nurse or health care assistant who wants to come along and observe my sessions, please give them my contact details. I run my sessions in Warrington, Cheshire in Birchwood Medical Centre(open to the patients of Birchwood Medical Centre only), and St Thomas' Church Stockton Heath( open to all). I also have a fledgling group in Princess Park Surgery, Moss Side, Manchester. Until 2014 I did not know that you could send your diabetes into remission with a low carb diet. Now I see patients every week who have done this, so read all about low carb on this great website. Tell your GP and nurse that there are many GPs who do this now, and enable their patients to regain health, come off medication and feel hopeful. It is in NICE Type 2 diabetes December 2015, (as low GI and individualized care) but your GP may not have noticed as it is hidden away in a large document.
Joanne McCormack
That's amazing having a G.P. that actually helps people with a low carb way of eating , unfortunately my G.P.doesnt do that and I don't get any help I was basically insulted by the nurse saying I'm too fat and gave me all the wrong advice told me to eat rice , potatoes and pasta which I don't. My G.P. just says lose weight else I'll put ulyou on more meds now I don't want to go back I don't get any help and I wish they would do what you're doing I feel I'm not being listened to at all and not taken seriously.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's amazing having a G.P. that actually helps people with a low carb way of eating , unfortunately my G.P.doesnt do that and I don't get any help I was basically insulted by the nurse saying I'm too fat and gave me all the wrong advice told me to eat rice , potatoes and pasta which I don't. My G.P. just says lose weight else I'll put ulyou on more meds now I don't want to go back I don't get any help and I wish they would do what you're doing I feel I'm not being listened to at all and not taken seriously.
I'm afraid that is the more typical approach, threatening and just plain wrong -but determined that you are just non compliant when you report that you tried their diet and it didn't work.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jinn - A number of T1s do choose to use low carbing as part of the diabetes management, and I'm sure some will be vegan.

DCUK is developing a Low Carb Programme, for T1s, and early adopters/interested parties are, I think, just awaiting a launch date. I do know the similar T2 programme copes with veggie and vegan ways of eating, so I envisage the T1 module will too.

If you'd like to know more, there are a number of threads on the forum, or send me a PM.
I am on that list but would recommend any type 1s to download DiaTribe's e book
https://brightspotsandlandmines.org/
I have also come across interesting stuff on YOuTube including a low carb type 1 GP whose name I cannot recall for now.
I am trying a low carb approach as are a few other type 1s here.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't mind at all. I'm not, I'm from Blackpool but I arranged a meeting in Birmingham as it seemed a convenient location for people commuting. People travelled from up and down the country for the meeting.
@Debandez. Hi thanks. I've been off line for a while. Health & othere problems & gone bit of track. I'm from Birmingham. Wish I'd known about meeting would have loved to meet up with othere diabetics. Our surgery is c... No info given at all. I feel like I'm just a numbers. Thsnks. Have good day everyone

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lovableleo Hi. Sounds like your surgery is like mine & many otheres, I don't need to loose weight but seems the attitude is the same, how can we help ourselves with this attitude towards us. Wish you well take care. X