Gutted - Not Doing As Well As I Thought And Confused

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the finger pricking. It will get easier. Your blood sugars are on their way down and this usually coincides with lowering carbs. Your weight is also going in the right direction. You are doing brilliantly and off to an excellent start. I find the mysugr app a really useful tool. It gives me an idea if how I'm doing on daily basis.

Reactions: KiwiInOz

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks everyone, especially for the links for more reading. And yes I am in Australia but this forum seems to be the most active and has the best info so I hoped you wouldn't mind me interloping.

I went to the chemist and bought a blood glucose monitor. Took me an hour to prick myself - that is so unnatural. I didn't have a monitor because I'm extremely needle phobic!

So I've done my first blood test 9.3 mmol/L This is pre-lunch so I hadn't eaten for 4.5 hours. I'll test again in 1.5 hours which will be 2 hours after eating. I guess this is still too high but much better than yesterday.

I'll read the 101 links and Daisy's advice and links.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers
Sharyn
Welcome @KiwiInOz :)
Looking forward to your success on implementing suggested changes.
I have to agree this is the best diabetes forum I've come across. Many are trying to imulate it as it's method works very well.
Listening and participating.
Enjoy!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @KiwiInOz you've definitely found the best place for great advice and support and they don't mind us kiwis

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that I can survive quite happily without lunch - and when lunches are so often a carbfest, it is wisest to eat well at home and then abstain from anything which doesn't fit your diet.
It is sometimes amazing to me to see what people eat because it is time to eat, with no regard to their well being. It is also sometimes quite shocking, to me, to see what is dished up as food.

Geoffno6

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with fasting BG of 12.0. Bit of a shock and not really been given much information excepting to take Metformin ER 500mg once every evening.

I found this forum straight away and make some immediate lifestyle changes. My BMI was high and I weighed 92.7kg.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I've settled into logging all my food on the Lose It app, greatly reducing carbs to 20-40g per day - a bit up and down but mostly close to 20g. Taken my medication everyday. My goal was to try to also lose 5kgs over the next 3 months.

Outcome: Fantastic weight loss, went slightly ketogenic and last week lost 8kgs. Now weigh 85.2kgs. Stoked! I got this I thought.

I started exercising going for 30 minute brisk walks every day.

Trip to the Dr. and Oh Dear my blood pressure was too high. had to monitor for 24 hr and return. Turns out that was a stress spike and the monitoring showed I was highish but ok.

Dr does a urine test then freaks out, says my BG is extremely high. the highest reading on the strip at over 111 mmol/L

Tells me to double my Metformin to 1000mg a day.

I thought I was doing well so I'm just shocked. I did eat carbs at a lunch I attended for work a few hours before my DR's appointment. 4 cubes of watermelon, 1 white dinner roll and 1 small square of plain chocolate. Everything else combined that day was under 10g of carbs.

This morning I tested my urine. slightly better but still 56mmol/L 2nd highest colour on the glucose strip.

Took the first morning Metformin tablet this morning and tested at 10am and not registering any blood glucose.

What am I doing wrong? Why did I have such a huge reaction to a relatively small carb treat? Is 1000mg of Metformin meaning I'm not responding very well to the drug. Do I have to stop all carbs?

Why has my weight loss and exercise not helped?

I obviously haven't got this at all.

Thanks
Sharyn

Geoffno6

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with fasting BG of 12.0. Bit of a shock and not really been given much information excepting to take Metformin ER 500mg once every evening.

I found this forum straight away and make some immediate lifestyle changes. My BMI was high and I weighed 92.7kg.

Fast forward 2 weeks and I've settled into logging all my food on the Lose It app, greatly reducing carbs to 20-40g per day - a bit up and down but mostly close to 20g. Taken my medication everyday. My goal was to try to also lose 5kgs over the next 3 months.

Outcome: Fantastic weight loss, went slightly ketogenic and last week lost 8kgs. Now weigh 85.2kgs. Stoked! I got this I thought.

I started exercising going for 30 minute brisk walks every day.

Trip to the Dr. and Oh Dear my blood pressure was too high. had to monitor for 24 hr and return. Turns out that was a stress spike and the monitoring showed I was highish but ok.

Dr does a urine test then freaks out, says my BG is extremely high. the highest reading on the strip at over 111 mmol/L

Tells me to double my Metformin to 1000mg a day.

I thought I was doing well so I'm just shocked. I did eat carbs at a lunch I attended for work a few hours before my DR's appointment. 4 cubes of watermelon, 1 white dinner roll and 1 small square of plain chocolate. Everything else combined that day was under 10g of carbs.

This morning I tested my urine. slightly better but still 56mmol/L 2nd highest colour on the glucose strip.

Took the first morning Metformin tablet this morning and tested at 10am and not registering any blood glucose.

What am I doing wrong? Why did I have such a huge reaction to a relatively small carb treat? Is 1000mg of Metformin meaning I'm not responding very well to the drug. Do I have to stop all carbs?

Why has my weight loss and exercise not helped?

I obviously haven't got this at all.

Thanks
Sharyn

Hi Sharyn, welcome to the forum. It’s all relative and compared to many you’re doing really well. Of course if you look at the guys in a better position or those who have things under control it doesn’t look so good. Do get a meter and do blood tests though. Test before and 2 (or 3 hours) after eating It’s the only way to see what affects your BG. Good luck and I’m convinced by how you come across that you’ll be on top of it and calmed down soon(ish)

Geoffno6

Hi Sharyn, welcome to the forum. It’s all relative and compared to many you’re doing really well. Of course if you look at the guys in a better position or those who have things under control it doesn’t look so good. Do get a meter and do blood tests though. Test before and 2 (or 3 hours) after eating It’s the only way to see what affects your BG. Good luck and I’m convinced by how you come across that you’ll be on top of it and calmed down soon(ish)

Btw, my fasting was 18 in June and now down to 8 ish so I think you’re right on track