Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 4.7 today.

@Ally Pally in the UK it’s extremely unusual for a Type 2 not on insulin or some other BG reducing medication to be prescribed a meter and strips. Those on Metformin or diet controlled almost always have to self fund. Short sighted.

Ally Pally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The colour pink!
6.8 at 0545hrs. Thanks to those who responded to my query last night. I guess I’m ‘lucky’ in that all my supplies are covered by my Krankenkasse (obligatory sickness insurance). I pay a minimal deductible, which wouldn’t even cover half the cost of one tub of testing strips. Enjoy your day, wherever you are.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 s have to buy there own only type 1 s get free issues
they begrudgingly gave me one when first diagnosed because my blood sample was full of ketones and my meter readings were nearer four than mid fives which i thought was the whole idea!! i explained that it was because of the lchf thing i was on and the ketones loss was due to the diet they were worried about hypos,,, they withdrew funding when last blood test came as remission [ 5.5]

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Purely out of interest, those of you who live in the U.K.,do you have to buy your own meters, testing strips etc, or is this all supplied by the nhs? I left Scotland to live in Switzerland 40+ years ago and am somewhat out of touch, but it still interests me. Appreciate if anyone could take the time to bring me up to date. Sleep well
Hi I have to self fund and I understand that is the case for lots of type 2 but type 1 diabetics are funded.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Type 2 s have to buy there own only type 1 s get free issues
Would add, if a Type 2 has meds especially insulin and sulfonylurea's they get funded by the NHS, most CCG's also fund meters and strips for metformin users as well, but this is not universal.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have to self fund and I understand that is the case for lots of type 2 but type 1 diabetics are funded.
hi im down to about ten testing strips accuchek performa nano...whats the most cost efective meter and strips combo?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2. And as I suspected my little chocolate treat at about 9pm (2 pieces of 85%) was raising it slightly in the morning. I didn't eat after 6.45 last night and bingo. Thanks @shelley262 for the guidance. Much appreciated. Still maintained my weight too. And tonight I'm going for an extra large kebab (in a tray no pitta ). No chocolate for dessert!