Peanuts

bkkMick

Dislikes
Chemotherapy. Just finished it.
hi rhu

I too am on a low-carb diet and it's been going quite well (16.6mmol/l 29July to 9mmol/l 5August) but the other night I ate quite a lot of pistachio nuts (more than I should have) and, whereas the BS dipped a bit, it didn't go down by much.

Then I found this site: http://www.carbohydrate-counter.org/nuts/search.php?cat=Nuts&fg=1200

No more pistachios for me!

Mick

p.s. I think that I read somewhere to avoid peanuts (member of the pea family) and cashews. Macadamia nuts were recommended but don't trust me - I'm not a doctor.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Rhu,
I'm not sure where your figures are coming from, but according to my Collins Gem Carb Counter, almonds have 6.8g carbs per 100g (none of which is sugar), plain peanuts have 12.8g (much of which is sugar so will spike your BS quicker than the equivalent in almonds), dry roasted have 8g (again high sugar).

In terms of calories, almonds have 612 kcal per 100g, peanuts 564kcal and dry roasted have 590kcal. There is really insufficient difference between them in terms of calories, but the big difference for a diabetic is the higher carb (of which sugars . . ) content of peanuts and cashews. If you find the peanuts have no difference on your BS levels then you are lucky. Most of us don't have that good fortune, but as we always try to emphasise, we are all different and things that affect one person don't necessarily affect another the same way.

If Ally is checking in perhaps she can confirm the cal/carb figures as she has the dietitian's "bible" of food carbs?

Nellie

From the GI index : (GI, portion size in gram, carbs per portion glycemic load
Peanuts (Canada) 13 50 4.5 .6
Peanuts (Mexico) 23 50 4.5 1

As for almonds, they contain relatively little carbohydrate, so don’t have a GI value however the GI index newsletter has a lot of positive things to say about them including:

‘Almonds have already been found to reduce LDL cholesterol levels and contain a variety of important nutrients. This new research shows that incorporating almonds in the diet may help in the management of blood glucose levels and the onset of such illnesses as diabetes, while promoting a healthy heart.’

see http://ginews.blogspot.com/2007/01/gi-news-briefs.html

ally5555

I think the one thing to be careful with nuts is the quantity - I wouldnt eat more than two handfuls a day - I think nuts have become a bit over used. I am definately seeing that in practice!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Almonds are seeds, as are true nuts, including cocnuts. Peanuts and cashews are legumes, basically beans. Macadamia nuts are almost carb free. they are also pretty expensive and high fat for those who care about that. Brazil nuts are pretty low carb too i think. My liite nutrition book has gone walkies, so I can't check without leaving my computer, which i will now do. I've walke about 5 miles today in this horrid oppressive weather. I have backaache and I'm tired. I am an unfit grandma

ChocFish

Ha, dont make me laugh, an unfit grandma indeed!!!

Educated, on the ball, flexible, tolerant, active, supportive...oh but we are still waiting for the pic of you and granddaughter :-(

I didnt know cashews are legumes, what about walnuts and hazelnuts, I suspect they must be low carb because in the early days when I was doing very low carb I did have quite a few walnuts and hazelnuts.

All the best

Karen

ally5555

the problem with the difference in analaysis will depend where they have taken the data from . I always use british food tables - mcance and widdowson!

I have never fancied cooking with coconut oil - has anyone does it have the taste of coconut if it does - yuk!

iHs

ally5555 said:
the problem with the difference in analaysis will depend where they have taken the data from . I always use british food tables - mcance and widdowson!

I have never fancied cooking with coconut oil - has anyone does it have the taste of coconut if it does - yuk!

I have been using virgin coconut oil in place of marg or butter when I have a sandwich. Its quite nice lol and only slightly tastes of coconuts. My last cholestrol test was 4.3 so am going to see if the health benefits of eating coconut oil help me to get my cholestrol down. As far as I know my HDL was all ok though. Coconut oil is meant to be free from trans fats. I will pay for a over the counter cholestrol test at Xmas just to see. The cheap coconut oil that can be bought in supermarkets is only good for the frying pan and for the skin and hair. Eggs seem to slide out of the frying pan and dont stick at all.