• 10-20g

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 20-30g

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 30g+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't limit my fat intake

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Vague polls like this don't collect any meanigful information and are of no use to anyone

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just for my own information - I'd appreciate it if you could take the time to click on one of the voting buttons above.

Interested on seeing what the black/white view is on members Fat intake...

(I'll add my own vote once we've got some votes for mine to get lost in amongst...) 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Help me out here - I'm looking for the "don't know" button... 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
That's the 'don't limit', Daisy! Pass me the butter, will you? :p

Saw the dietitian today - poor lady! :lol:

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Viv :)
I actually do limit the fat I eat and always have. It does make things taste nicer though. I bet you gave that dietician a few tips :shock: I had a pretty useless session with mine as I forgot to tell her I was diabetic :lol:

ally5555

Patch - not counting the fat is not a useful option - it says nothing!

Viv - what did you do to the Dietitian ?

Allyx

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
For the first time in years I fancied some "real butter" for a change and bought some last week, must admit though, I didn't enjoy it at all because after years of low-fat diet it just tasted like, well......fat.
Don't think I'll ever buy another one.

I limit my fat intake as much as possible, some days as little as 10g and some days as much as 30g but (almost) never above.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Allyx, I was very kind to her! It was a group session for newish diabetics, and it wasn't her fault that she had to toe the NHS party line! I didn't want to confuse everyone else, most of whom were older than me, by arguing with her all the time. I did make it plain, though, that I was low-carbing. In fact, the practice nurse had warned her about me in advance, which I think made her a bit nervous!

I DID object (politely) when she gave us cereal packets to look at and was talking about checking for sugars-only rather than total carbohydrates. I said I didn't look at sugars but at total carbs, and don't eat cereals except very rarely, because they spike my bg too much - which gave me the opportunity to plug frequent testing while still learning. It also gave HER the opportunity to say she believed controlling carb intake was useful, and that a protein-based breakfast kept one fuller for longer. So I think, secretly, I was preaching to the almost-converted.

She certainly wasn't advising lots of carbs by NHS standards, but suggested a quarter of each meal should be carb, which I believe is less than some say. She also pointed out the flaws in the 5-a-day chart, which I thought was pretty good.

I did blink a bit when she told me oatcakes were high in fat!

I spoke to her separately after the session, and she said her problems with Atkins were a) people not doing it properly, particularly not reducing the fat as carbs increase;

and b) the constipation that can result. At least she had obviously had a good look at the diet - so many people who condemn it have never looked at it properly.

So - I didn't learn much, but at least I've been to the session and ticked the box!

Viv 8)

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I don't limit my fat intake after more than thirty five years of limiting it to a low fat level because I had babies and thought I was being a responsible parent.
I got fat for the first time in my life ten years ago while following the low fat regime. My BP went up and so did my bad cholesterol.
I was diagnosed with diabetes.
Now I have whole milk, cream, butter not "good for you" cholesterol free margarine and cook in pork fat and eat home made crackling.
In three short years the good results are amazing and I no longer take medications.
Nothing. No Metformin, statins, reflux meds, BP tablets.
My food has more tasty additions and my blood work says it is good for me.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I dont feel I can answer this poll either as I do limit the fat I eat as I dont like fat and have always avoided obvious fat where ever possible but I have no idea how much I eat as I could not be bothered or remotely interested in counting it.

RussG

At the risk of upsetting people, I think you've all missed Patch's point, which is contained in the last option in the survey.

Not saying I agree or disagree, mind.

jaykay

Well I've assumed that not limiting the fat does NOT mean eating a high fat diet but just not counting or caring too much and ticked the box accordingly. I don't like fatty meat or full fat milk or yoghurt but I love butter( not a problem as I just don't have anything to spread it on :lol: ) and I quite like cream.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a good point. I never meant that particular option to mean "I eat as much fat as I can", but I can see how some would read it that way.

That's the problem with internet forum polls - you only REALLY get the information that the poll creator WANTS to see... lol:

rglennon said:
Not saying I agree or disagree, mind.
:wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
That's the problem with internet forum polls - you only REALLY get the information that the poll creator WANTS to see... lol:

My signature in a nutshell Patch :D

RussG

I'd modify that to say that that is the problem with poorly constructed surveys, either paper, verbal or internet. This is usually called 'confirmation bias'.

Again, not saying the original poll is poorly constructed, BTW. [see how I sit on the fence].

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I love your signature, Sid. (I'm sure I've siad that before?)

rglennon said:
[see how I sit on the fence].

Looks comfy. :wink:

ally5555

Viv

It is part of our CPD to review new "diets". Most departments have regular journal clubs and the internet has made it much easier - i get masses of email alerts about all sorts of new research. Plus the Dietetic Association has alot of info sent to us! It is hard to find the time to read it all!

I actually tried it for a couple of weeks out of curiosity ( I dont need to lose wt by the way!) and I couldnt cope with it . Felt tired , no energy and had the dreaded constipation!

Ally

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Allyx, I wasn't getting at either you or dietitians as a profession - I've never encountered one before! But at least two of my GPs have certainly never done more than read a press release or two about Atkins, as far as I can tell. I loaned my copy to the third, and he monitored me through it with great interest. Then again - why should they have read it? they don't have enough time to keep up with everything and still have a life, let alone read diet books.

It doesn't suit everybody, (why should it? we're all different) and the constipation is the worst part, particularly when you first start. Outside diabetes, some people are perfectly happy on a low-fat, high-carb diet and manage to lose weight - I certainly can't, which caused me a lot of grief over more than 20 years. When I think what it's done to my self-esteem - I wouldn't put my worst enemy through it.

The only thing I will say as a staunch Atkins-supporter, is that I don't think 2 weeks is a fair trial. I honestly can't remember how I felt in my first-ever two weeks, but the weight was coming off so fast that that kept me on a 'high' while I was getting used to it. I have never felt so well in all my life - or so much in control!

I also think it's designed for, and therefore suits better, very overweight people. Because it works, you put up with the side-effects (if any) more willingly.

I do remember the difficulty I had getting a piece of pork chop with fat into my mouth the first time. I don't dislilke pork fat - I was just so totally brain-washed that it was bad for me that I think I expected to have a heart attack on the spot!

By the way, the dietitian recommended the CSIRO Total Well-being diet, which I haven't come across before, so I've bought a second-hand copy off Amazon and shall give it a careful look.

How's the jury-service going? I'm still miffed that they've never asked me - I think I might be too old now!

Viv 8)

ally5555

Viv - didn't think you were at all .

But there is lot of misinformation about my profession so i like to inform people!

They discharged me today - thank goodness . Was an experience - horrid case last week!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It would seem that according to the poll so far a little over 26% of the forum measure their fat intake :shock:

Amazing, but statistics dont lie do they :lol:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
And, according to the poll, only 15% of forum members read all of the options before voting... :lol: