Blood Sugar / 5:2 Diet

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A lot in the papers and TV about Diabetes reversal and mostly accredited to losing lots of weight and getting lots more exercise. No s**t Sherlock. Quite inspired by Tom Watson the Labour Deputy leader and his stunning transformation and diabetes story. So following on reading up on this Blood Sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley and although it seems tough thinking of giving it a go. Anyone tried this - had any good or bad experiences ?

Have done low carb before and had some good success then ended up in hospital with gall bladder problem / sepsis and well you guessed is piled the pounds back on and here we are again

Reactions: Jemz and Serena51

davich

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who complain for the sake of complaining. The why me brigade. Live with what you have and make the best of your life.
Hi Hibby65
Like you I had some success with a low carb diet then in 2012 had a heart attack.
I have now got my weight back down to acceptable levels and am in remission with a Mmol of 39.
My only problem is with cycling, I need a certain amount of carb intake to offset the massive calorie loss per ride. Sometimes just taking 30g of carbs per hour is enough, though I do take food with me in case of a mishap with the blood sugar dropping too low. Generally speaking a low carb diet has now become the norm and I have to accept this is part of my lifestyle, along with no alcohol or smoking. Lots of exercise and make everyday special.
You have been successful in the past so I wish you luck and a good heart to try again to treat your symptoms with some TLC.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Intrestingly there seems to be a bit of controversy over exactly how Tom Watson lost his weight!
Dr Moseley has written extensively in the Daily Mail about how it was his 5:2 diet whereas Mr Watson and Dr Aseem Malhotra seem equally convinced that it was the Pioppi diet. I asked Dr Malhotra on twitter and he maintains that Tom Watson did it via Pioppi and as I have seen pictures of the two of them together I think I'd go with that. Dr Moseley and his missus seem to be all over the media claiming "reversal" but rarely crediting anyone else.

Reactions: Jemz