Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seem to have my walking mojo back again. As in, I'm doing it because I want to not just to hit a pile of targets. Um, though I smashed through September's Total Steps Target yesterday, and will get through the Continuous Walking Brisk Pace one in the next day or so.

I've already decided to give myself a break from target setting next year, other than keeping to the pattern of what works for my blood sugars on a daily basis, with longer walk days as and when I want to, not just because I've fallen behind. The habit of regular walking is now well-formed, and I don't think it's likely to stop easily now.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did 10k steps yesterday and about 5 of the 5 min bursts of squats etc. My legs and bum ache quite a lot today so I reckon I’m targetting the right large muscles.
Today was 12k steps and again 5 of the short sharp bursts.
I also spent the afternoon with my grandaughters at an activity trail - climbing, balancing, swinging type of things. I had a go at most things but was pretty rubbish - the girls lapped me several times and were very sweet about my feebleness.

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hit the pool this morning. Very frustrated as cramp set in at 34 lengths, so,had to abort. @Down-Jai 001 I’m on the exercises!

Out with friends for lunch/afternoon but managed to get to 10957 steps.

Making my return to walking football in the morning.
Hi
I am so sorry to hear that you had cramp again.
I do lots of stretching in yoga classes , eat bananas and drink slim line tonic water which is good for stopping cramps. By the way, is your body have enough salt? It's worth having it check up.
I do hope you find the cure soon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Still waiting for September to allow me to settle to useful exercise for a settled period. Managed 11.6k steps today - unlikely to do any good but above totally useless,

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having skived a swim yesterday I managed Saturday shoulders, but with different exercises for a change :) I've seen mention of kettle bells quite frequently in regards to shoulder rehab so had a play with them instead of bars and bells, really good workout pressing with them, a lighter weight but no joint pain so I'm going to do that for shoulders for a month I think, swimming with child at lunch :)

Reactions: Down-Jai 001

Geoffno6

Evening all. Still waiting for September to allow me to settle to useful exercise for a settled period. Managed 11.6k steps today - unlikely to do any good but above totally useless,

I reckon anything over 10,000 steps is sufficient but not ‘pat on the back’ worthy. If you’re not feeling 100% it’s not too bad.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am so sorry to hear that you had cramp again.
I do lots of stretching in yoga classes , eat bananas and drink slim line tonic water which is good for stopping cramps. By the way, is your body have enough salt? It's worth having it check up.
I do hope you find the cure soon.

Thanks. To be honest I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s more to do with muscle tightness than electrolytes: they were tested recently as part of a wider panel of bloods because of another issue and I have plenty of salt, take magnesium supplements etc (bananas are completely out for me). I am looking for some magnesium oil that is hypo-allergenic as I’m allergic to the standard variety.

It’s just really frustrating when the swim has to stop because of cramps rather than because I’m out of puff or knackered!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seem to have my walking mojo back again. As in, I'm doing it because I want to not just to hit a pile of targets. Um, though I smashed through September's Total Steps Target yesterday, and will get through the Continuous Walking Brisk Pace one in the next day or so.

I've already decided to give myself a break from target setting next year, other than keeping to the pattern of what works for my blood sugars on a daily basis, with longer walk days as and when I want to, not just because I've fallen behind. The habit of regular walking is now well-formed, and I don't think it's likely to stop easily now.

@Japes that sounds like a great approach to me. When I first started regular walking I timed it for the start of spring in the hope that the weather wouldn’t provide too much of an excuse for not doing it so that it would become habit forming. Seemed to work and now it’s become so ingrained that I genuinely love doing it and look for opportunities to increase it. In turn that means it’s easier to take a rest when needed because I can spot the difference between really being tired or below par and inertia.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hope you feel better soon - seems like you’ve been out of sorts for a while.

On another note, agree with your comments about Lamela and Chelsea on another thread!

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. To be honest I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s more to do with muscle tightness than electrolytes: they were tested recently as part of a wider panel of bloods because of another issue and I have plenty of salt, take magnesium supplements etc (bananas are completely out for me). I am looking for some magnesium oil that is hypo-allergenic as I’m allergic to the standard variety.

It’s just really frustrating when the swim has to stop because of cramps rather than because I’m out of puff or knackered!
I hope things improve for you. Do let me know if it's working.
Best of luck.

Geoffno6

@Japes that sounds like a great approach to me. When I first started regular walking I timed it for the start of spring in the hope that the weather wouldn’t provide too much of an excuse for not doing it so that it would become habit forming. Seemed to work and now it’s become so ingrained that I genuinely love doing it and look for opportunities to increase it. In turn that means it’s easier to take a rest when needed because I can spot the difference between really being tired or below par and inertia.

I got diabeted in June, I’m sure the long evenings and warm (many times too hot) weather made me get my running and walking mojo. I really miss it when I can’t do it.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, I’m back. I started the thread quite a while back and have been up to other stuff but I am back here at the thread and in the U.K. I left Istanbul after the attempted coup in 2016. I’m now in the East Midlands and I’ve started the Couch to 5k program. It was HARD in the first week (jogging for 60 seconds, LOL). I thought I’d be fitter because I still more or less go everywhere on foot or by bike but my cardiovascular fitness was just not there. Yesterday I completed Week 4, Run 3 and nowadays I am loving the sense of achievement when I get home. (I’m not always loving it while I’m doing it - that feeling comes and goes!) Also my recovery time is improving. So it’s great to be back. Congratulations to everyone on the thread.

Reactions: DJC3 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterdays swim was on my own in the end, madam was carrying on so was taken back first, it left me with 27 mins in the pool with a little insulin on board so I swam just 1050m with a few stops to test my sugar, but most of the lengths were front crawl as my stroke's coming on at long long last, today was chest, all dumb bell work, not my heaviest but full range of motion and strict mostly, then back in the early evening for a small swim with child who behaved :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bitesize chunks of exercise may be the way forward - if the back plays ball. 10.2k steps as a base. 3 sets of 10 reps for 6 exercises on weight machine before breakfast and 20 mins cycle after. 3 sets 10 reps of 4 exercises on free weights before lunch and 15 mins rowing after. Will need tweaking and care with back but most positive day this month.

Reactions: kev-w and RuthW

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @RuthW this was a great idea for a thread! I’m not a gym bunny and most of my efforts are quite feeble compared to some, but knowing I’m going to post on here in the evening is often the only thing that makes me make the effort to do something - anything. It keeps me from going completely off the rails. So thank you.
Back on track - today was 10k steps ( barely) plus 30 mins of the resistance/cardio tyoe of things like squats and lunges. Broken up into bite size intervals.

Reactions: kev-w and RuthW

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. No protests from the back today but found some information on the internet suggesting squats and walking on hard surfaces are not good for stenosis:arghh: 10.2k steps and swimming lesson today.

Reactions: Goonergal