Bread Alternative

P

pollensa

I have just started a low carbohydrate diet but my craving is now for bread :( is there an alternative I can buy that will let me have a sandwich midday?..I'm not bothered if its bread,crackers or roll ( or info on all three alternatives would be good please..thank you

Hello,

hopefully the below may help solve your question and bread desire situation, go onto www.dietdoctor.com excellent website, depending on your individual taste, below are various breads alternative to the normal style of breads.

They are all yum yum I have tried and tested all, actually just have a batch of keto flatbread in the oven, along with keto seed crackers.

Hope this helps you on your new style of eating plan.

Mallorca.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/mediterranean-keto-flatbread

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/paleo-bread

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-garlic-rosemary-focaccia

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-parmesan-croutons

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-bread-twists

Reactions: neithskye

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've tried the 90s microwave bread and it is surprisingly good, but too eggy for breakfast for me.
I occasionally have the Hovis lower carb or Morrisons Protein bread - but just one slice when I am feeling strong enough to stop - and I keep it in the freezer!
Other than that I use ham slices/lettuce leaves, etc as the sandwich outer layer.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have stoneground organic wholemeal bread flour and make my own, I prove it overnight in the fridge and cook it the next day. it only takes a few mins to prepare.

I find that 2 slices a day is my safe limit, your reaction to it may be different. I generally either toast it and have butter and marmite on it, or have protein and mayo and salad in it. Grilled cheese on it is good too.

I also enjoy rolls of ham with mayo and salad in, using lettuce leaves as a wrap too.

Reactions: neithskye

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll ocasionally eat Livlife bread if I'm not in a fit state to make my low carb alternatives, but this in't a staple in my diet. Carbzone is another alternative, but it tends to be more expensive.

However, (and I've said before!) - I fail to see why with a low carb diet there can be any logical objection to eating ground nuts, seeds, eggs and butter in the form of bread or cake, .etc "alternatives" when there appears to be no such objection to eating these same healthy low carb foods in other less contentious combinations. :banghead:

Robbity

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, (and I've said before!) - I fail to see why with a low carb diet there can be any logical objection to eating ground nuts, seeds, eggs and butter in the form of bread or cake, .etc "alternatives" when there appears to be no such objection to eating these same healthy low carb foods in other less contentious combinations. :banghead:

Robbity
I cant eat nuts or seeds, in any form, so the alternative suggestions are helpful to me and others like me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant eat nuts or seeds, in any form, so the alternative suggestions are helpful to me and others like me.
I wasn't intending to suggest otherwise, just that objecting to breads etc in any form is quite illogical when these can also be made from low carb ingredients.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These days my alternative to 'bread' as a wrapper is lettuce or celery, though I do have to admit to throwing caution to the wind about once a month and enjoying a small toasted slice of bread with cheese and marmite.
You have made my mouth water cheese on Marmite toast yummy that is a special treat for me as is poached eggs on Marmite or Bovril toast

P

pollensa

I wasn't intending to suggest otherwise, just that objecting to breads etc in any form is quite illogical when these can also be made from low carb ingredients.
As I understand, the difference being, standard breads, whole, wheat rye whatever use ingredients flour that is quick absorbing into the blood stream and turn into lots of sugars, in comparison to low carb style, who use physillium husk, i.e. plantain leaf ingredient, chick pea four, which are slow absorbing into the system re breakdown sugars, and best of all the creme de la creme of course, coconut flour you only need 1 tablespoon compared to 3 or 4 other flours, and almond flour again, flat breads, breads, made from these last two slow into the blood stream.

Hope this assists.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
It appears that you are prepared to do some work putting a sandwich together. In my household the non-diabetics occasionally eat https://carbzone.co.uk/collections/bread/products/protein-rich®-bread-250g-long-shelf-life, I have just asked and apparently it is nice tasting (I have not tried myself); interestingly although I have seen re-orders 2 packets are in the cupboard, and have been there for around 2 weeks. So as an aside interesting point, in my household of 4, low carb / Keto has removed the full on bread cravings for everyone.

The mental side of the transition is hard, I really understand. I would consider myself an experienced low carber, but I am weaning myself down from a bowl of mixed low carb nuts a day at the moment, as I am trying to cut down my physical training. Maybe what I am doing at the moment might also help, if you have some prep time, around 10 minutes. I am using a sort of bread, which is a pancake in various ways (I made the below, and I am ham fisted):

View attachment 28088

This takes minutes to prepare and can be made in advance to go into the fridge for a couple of days.

Process:
If making flatter pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat
If making deeper pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat, and max heat oven (you will need pancake rings)
If you are going to use a pancake/ waffle maker put this on at least medium heat

To a mixing bowl:
  • Add a quarter of a cup of coconut flour (I use Organic Coconut Flour from the Groovy food company. 16 grams of carbs per 100)
  • Add a teaspoon of baking powder
  • (if making chocolate version, add tablespoon of cocoa powder (I use Belbake from Lidl, 8.7 grams per 100)
  • Add 2 eggs
  • Add half a cup of coconut milk (I use Dunns River) or a quarter of a cup of cream cheese (I use Philadelphia original) with a quarter cup of full fat Greek Yogurt or nut milk
  • Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Optionally add 2 teaspoons of Baobab (don't worry about this, many haven't come across this super food)
  • Optionally add a little sea or Himalayan salt
Whisk until everything is mixed (if you have an electric whisk all the better). The consistency should be similar to yogurt. if your mixture is too thick keep adding a little coconut or nut milk or water. Either add some fat to the pan (anything but vegetable oil), I use a little MCT oil or brush the pancake / waffle maker with fat. Add mixture asap to either pan or pancake / waffle maker, as coconut flour is very absorbent. For the flatter pan fired pancakes turn when bubbles begin to occur. For the deep pancakes add the pan to the oven until the top is firm, remove from oven (make sure you have gloves or a towel), turn the pancake and add a little more fat to finish the cook in around a minute and half.

The total carbs for the entire mixture is around 7 grams with around double the amount of fibre (based on the brands I used). I tagged @shelley262 due her current food project.

Hi Thankyou for posting your pancake recipie I will try it soon when I feel bit better.
My bloods very high and I have Ulcerative Colitis.
Maddy

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Thankyou for posting your pancake recipie I will try it soon when I feel bit better.
My bloods very high and I have Ulcerative Colitis.
Maddy
how u feel better soon Maddy

Dinet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It appears that you are prepared to do some work putting a sandwich together. In my household the non-diabetics occasionally eat -bread-250g-long-shelf-life" target="_blank" class="link link--external" rel="nofollow ugc noopener">https://carbzone.co.uk/collections/bread/products/protein-rich-bread-250g-long-shelf-life, I have just asked and apparently it is nice tasting (I have not tried myself); interestingly although I have seen re-orders 2 packets are in the cupboard, and have been there for around 2 weeks. So as an aside interesting point, in my household of 4, low carb / Keto has removed the full on bread cravings for everyone.

The mental side of the transition is hard, I really understand. I would consider myself an experienced low carber, but I am weaning myself down from a bowl of mixed low carb nuts a day at the moment, as I am trying to cut down my physical training. Maybe what I am doing at the moment might also help, if you have some prep time, around 10 minutes. I am using a sort of bread, which is a pancake in various ways (I made the below, and I am ham fisted):

View attachment 28088

This takes minutes to prepare and can be made in advance to go into the fridge for a couple of days.

Process:
If making flatter pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat
If making deeper pancakes put on 2 non stick pans on a low to mid heat, and max heat oven (you will need pancake rings)
If you are going to use a pancake/ waffle maker put this on at least medium heat

To a mixing bowl:
  • Add a quarter of a cup of coconut flour (I use Organic Coconut Flour from the Groovy food company. 16 grams of carbs per 100)
  • Add a teaspoon of baking powder
  • (if making chocolate version, add tablespoon of cocoa powder (I use Belbake from Lidl, 8.7 grams per 100)
  • Add 2 eggs
  • Add half a cup of coconut milk (I use Dunns River) or a quarter of a cup of cream cheese (I use Philadelphia original) with a quarter cup of full fat Greek Yogurt or nut milk
  • Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • Optionally add 2 teaspoons of Baobab (don't worry about this, many haven't come across this super food)
  • Optionally add a little sea or Himalayan salt
Whisk until everything is mixed (if you have an electric whisk all the better). The consistency should be similar to yogurt. if your mixture is too thick keep adding a little coconut or nut milk or water. Either add some fat to the pan (anything but vegetable oil), I use a little MCT oil or brush the pancake / waffle maker with fat. Add mixture asap to either pan or pancake / waffle maker, as coconut flour is very absorbent. For the flatter pan fired pancakes turn when bubbles begin to occur. For the deep pancakes add the pan to the oven until the top is firm, remove from oven (make sure you have gloves or a towel), turn the pancake and add a little more fat to finish the cook in around a minute and half.

The total carbs for the entire mixture is around 7 grams with around double the amount of fibre (based on the brands I used). I tagged @shelley262 due her current food project.
thank you for introducing me to this amazing fruit, baobap

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
thank you for introducing me to this amazing fruit, baobap
Great, I add a teaspoon to yoghurt and most bakes especially the ones that call for Stevia (nothing wrong wuth Stevia by thw way) or alternatives. On a Channel 4 documentary Baobab was used by African's to lower blood sugar https://aduna.com/blogs/learn/15817820-how-baobab-can-help-manage-your-blood. It is quite high carb at around 3 grams for a teaspoon (1 of which is sugar), but with 2 grams of fibre to balance and mitigate this.

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cautionary tale from someone who should know better.

I was at a meeting yesterday where Lunch was served, everything was inside bread. I normally don’t eat at lunchtime but for some reason I suddenly felt hungry when I saw the sandwiches, and ended up eating two. I was starving for the rest of the day, overate for dinner, then had 2 fried eggs for breakfast and then some sliced pastrami for lunch. Totally mucked up my usual OMAD routine all because I ate a couple of sandwiches

Hopefully I can stop eating soon and get back to normal !!!!