Crisis!!!

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My fridge has packed up and we can't afford to get a new one! What should we do with my pens? This is worrying me as this has never happened before! Bit panicky! Help!!

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- Store in a family or friends fridge
- Store in fridge at work
- Try chemist or pharmacy they might store them in fridge for emergency period of time with your name on
- Wrap in a damp cold towel in a cold dark place and periodally change
- Place them in a sealable bag, and submerge them in a bucket of cold water replacing the water periodically
- Outside of a fridge they last 28 days, but apparently after they are removed from a fridge they cant be stored again, not sure why or how true
- A cold storage box could be used

Outside of this there isn't much more advice I can give

Reactions: Struma and Prem51

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My fridge has packed up and we can't afford to get a new one! What should we do with my pens? This is worrying me as this has never happened before! Bit panicky! Help!!
A bag of ice is 99p in the supermarket, get a bag of ice go to the fruit section and collect as much bubble wrap as you can lay your hands on, When you get home, wrap the pens in 4/5 layers of the bubble wrap, pour the entire bag of ice all over them and cover all of them in another 5 or six layers of bubble wrap,
You can do this every 24hrs whilst you sort out refrigeration

Gum tree is a good place to get fridges for next to nothing sometimes people are moving or remodelling and want folks to take it away for free so they don't have to pay the council to take them as bulk waste.
Another place to try is freecycle online they have stuff for free there as well

All the best. You will be OK
I have lived in countries without reliable electricity, and I learnt a thing or two about how to preserve stuff without refrigeration.

If the fridge has only just died, You can wrap the pens in bubble wrap and put it in the freezer of the dead fridge it will take a good 10hrs before it starts to thaw unless you keep opening it.
The bubble wrap will insulate it from getting too cold since the freezer will still be freezing temperature

Last edited:
Reactions: enzina and Prem51

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're near North Cornwall I have a fridge you can have. Be careful if using the cheap camping fridges. Some don't have a thermostat and may freeze the contents.

Reactions: enzina and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Alex - Have you heard of Nextdoor? It's a social media site/app designed for local people to connect with each other. People ask for recommendations for plumbers, or where to get help with "stuff".

You may find someone with a spare fridge in a garage or something. The other day on ours there was someone selling a fully working (they said) Bosch stainless steel fridge, with temperature display for £30.

It's coming to the end of the summer, so I'm guessing some folks might consider jettisoning their drinks fridges. Nothing ventured......

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Recycle lists on Yahoo, or charities such as the Red Cross which have second hand goods for sale but might let you have one for what you can afford.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Google Freegal (Blackpool is just an example) in your area, sign up, as giving and receiving is free, you have some great tips and advice.
Good luck @Alex_B