Have You Noticed...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rachox As a moderator, can you tell me if anything is being done about this issue?
N
Brian - I have no idea, and have no idea if anyone even considers ito to be an issue.

If you feel you would like your viewpoint to be considered, the please email [email protected] explaining the issue, the negative impact you see to the current approach, and your reasoning for change, including the benefits any such change would bring to the community. It can then be considered in the context of the issue.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you feel you would like your viewpoint to be considered, the please email [email protected] explaining the issue, the negative impact you see to the current approach, and your reasoning for change, including the benefits any such change would bring to the community. It can then be considered in the context of the issue.
I think I could reduce that reply to two words!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the titles on the (1000s) of books on my bookshelves are shouting at me in capitals.
But the few that aren't, favour this style:
A Monstrous Regiment of Women or
The City of Gold and Lead

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would just like to say that I am loving the change to what my Mum would have called 'Corpy House green' colour of the tabs, it makes reading the white print so much easier than the former paler green.

Reactions: Pipp

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Most of the titles on the (1000s) of books on my bookshelves are shouting at me in capitals.
Hi, that is called Title Case.
Sentence Case is what I prefer, which capitalises only the first letter of each sentence.
The one I abhor is where each word gets capitalised, even "a" and two letter conjunctions.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The books on my shelf are much the same

Proctology for Dummies
Do It Yourself Brain Surgery

Toilet Paper Origami

Reactions: Brunneria and Pipp

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't mind Sentence Case or proper Title Case. I don't like the one we have here now because it capitalises every word in the title.. including 'and' - that just looks odd, but I suppose I'll get used to it. It won't get changed now.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
The books on my shelf are much the same

Proctology for Dummies
Do It Yourself Brain Surgery
Toilet Paper Origami
My original post said "books and newspapers". I think you will be hard pressed to find a UK newspaper that uses anything but sentence case for titles. The USA is a different matter entirely.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
As my last input on this (hopefully), I refer anyone interested to the following site,
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/capitalization/rules-for-capitalization-in-titles.html
which gives the accepted rules for title case, none of which include the way the forum software works.
No doubt this is because the XenForo software, being a USA product, uses the antiquated USA style where every word is capitalised.
I shall continue to use the modern style of sentence case for titles, like The Times, except where the forum software is rude enough to change it.:banghead:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As my last input on this (hopefully), I refer anyone interested to the following site,
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/capitalization/rules-for-capitalization-in-titles.html
which gives the accepted rules for title case, none of which include the way the forum software works.
No doubt this is because the XenForo software, being a USA product, uses the antiquated USA style where every word is capitalised.
I shall continue to use the modern style of sentence case for titles, like The Times, except where the forum software is rude enough to change it.:banghead:
Shouldn't you be Briantheelder?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
For me it is the quality of the content that can influence whether I continue (or even start) reading. That and the use of block print. For many people block print is difficult to follow but this is down to members' own preference.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taught to capitalise every word in a title at primary school but by secondary school I was taught to use the softer Title Case.

I thought I had been careless when typing ND at the end of a thread title because it came up as Nd. Now I know it wasn't me, it was the software. For the record I think @BrianTheElder is right, the new method just looks silly and is irritating when we can't amend titles ourselves. I know nothing will be changed as the computer says 'No', so we just have to put up with it, but it is a shame that another of our accepted methods is being trampled on in the name of progress.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My original post said "books and newspapers". I think you will be hard pressed to find a UK newspaper that uses anything but sentence case for titles. The USA is a different matter entirely.
Sorry I forgot that some people still read NewsPapers.

Mind you most of the NewsPaper front pages I see are a complete stylistic mishmash some head lines in bold and all upper case lettering some in the style being advocated here some not. No rules seem to apply.

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No doubt this is because the XenForo software, ...
And this is why it won't be changed, the mods/admins here can't make such changes to software.
But if it it looks slightly silly compared to what you want its better than no formatting.

For example:
People could use titles such as 'I WANT HELP WITH SOMETHING AND SOMETHING ELSE' (ouch)
or 'i want help with something and something else' or 'i Want help with Something and something eLse', or a variety of other things which which no formatting don't look particularly good and do end up just looking messy.
And whilst you would like 'I Want Help with Something and Something Else', I reckon 'I Want Help With Something And Something Else' (which is what you get) is better than nothing :)

Reactions: lindijanice

qwertysandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you noticed that all the thread titles now seem to be forced into US title case, ie every single word is capitalised?
I think it looks daft.

I use capital letters owing to the fact they are easier for me to see owing to an eye condition which has left me severely partially sighted (registed blind) I have been told off many times as apparently using capital letters in emails etc is taken as you are shouting at someone and it is very rude to do so! I have replied in small letters but am unable to read what I have typed out. So please don't moan at those who use capitals as it may be the only way they can take part in this form of communication. I cannot use magnification systems as I am unable to focus with them

Reactions: Prem51