Ketones, how much insulin?

Nellie

Its ironic , I seem to have been telling everyone how and when to check for ketones knowing about it but never really having to myself since BS are nearly always in range and 'never' high. I think that the last time I had ketones was when I was diagnosed.

This morning I fell over on my run, grazed myself and twisted my ankle. I was about 8km from home so it was a horrid long journey back and the temperature was in the 30s. Tested BS on arrival 90, higher than usual as I'm normally on hypo borders, had lunch etc
Two hours late retested, BS was 260, OK test ketones, honestly didn't expect anything ++, found protocol ... for each + take 4 units of rapid using a syringe, not pump.
8 units? I normally only take 10-11units basal in 24 hours. I've taken 4 but what would other people do?

ChocFish

Sorry Nellie, I dont know much about insulin, etc I just wanted to say I am sorry you had an accident and hope that you are feeling better soon, have you applied an ice pack to your ankle?

(((((((((Nellie)))))))))

Karen x

iHs

Nellie

Is the reason for high bg due to your infusion set not being sited correctly? Quicksets are notorious for playing up.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear of your injury Nellie. Why did your BS jump so high if you had a normal BS immediately after your run? Was this a pump issue?
Like you, I have never been positive for ketones, so I can't advise other than to get your BS down quickly, keep hydrated, and let nature do the rest.

All the best,

fergus

Nellie

Thankyou for your sympathy everyone,
I did change everything so I don't know whether it was a set problem or the walk back but everythings OK now BS 86, and ketones only one +. so panic over! although I'm glad I didn't take 8 units.
It was a bit of a shock because sometimes I think the doctors have made a huge mistake and I'm not really type 1 at all!