4 weeks on...

DianeMali

Hi All...I introduced myself as 'newly diagnosed and terrified' 4 weeks ago and also talked about how my GP had pretty much written me off. I had an Hba1c of 106 on diagnosis and felt so scared. Anyway, 4 weeks on I went to see the diabetic nurse for the 2nd time and she did a quick blood glucose test...my levels were 6.1 and that was 3 hiies after having oats and blueberries for breakfast. She was thrilled with my progress and seemed genuinely surprised. Another 2 minths until the next Hba1c but she has every faith that it will show a huge improvement in my previous 106. Oh and Ive also lost a stone and am now only 1stone away from healthy BMI.

So the advice to other newly diagnosed peiple is to be brave, cjoose an eating plan that suits you and stick to it and trust that you will be ok.

Early doors still for me but I WILL be off Metformin within 5 months. Fact.

Reactions: Prem51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well done on both your weight loss and the improvement in your HbA1c, you are a winner. Personally I find that blueberries raise my bg more than strawberries or raspberries, and oats have been totally out of my diet for ages. On the other hand you have chosen an eating plan that you are happy with and if you can eat to your meter and find what is right for you the results will be fantastic. You have set yourself a challenge that is achievable so go for it and be drug free in 6 months.

DianeMali

Well done on both your weight loss and the improvement in your HbA1c, you are a winner. Personally I find that blueberries raise my bg more than strawberries or raspberries, and oats have been totally out of my diet for ages. On the other hand you have chosen an eating plan that you are happy with and if you can eat to your meter and find what is right for you the results will be fantastic. You have set yourself a challenge that is achievable so go for it and be drug free in 6 months.
Thank you. It was only a snapshot BG test but it was light years away from a month ago. Oats are pretty much the only grains I eat now bit I only have 20g, once a day. I alternate blueberries and strawberries to give myself a bit of variety. Ive totally cut out bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and the only other carbs I have are those in vegetables (no root veg other than carrots). Almonds are my only snack most days. Whatever Im doing seems to be workimg for now bit I know there is a long way to go.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done! Isn't it amazing how much improvement can be made with just a few changes in such a short time. Keep up the great work.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on your lowered bg level and weight loss @DianeMali! I remember you were terrified of your diagnosis when you first posted on here a month ago. It's great you have found an approach to eating which has worked for you.
Your DN is correct in saying that if you continue with your approach your 3 month HbA1c retest should show a lower reading.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!!! You've clearly got your head in the right place to deal with this :)

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations - that's wonderful news! I'm really pleased for you - it's so exciting to be able to see real, tangible results when they tell you the new numbers and there's 'proof' that what you're doing is working. Even if you already know...