Help please

Tiny-Tots

Hi i am 22 years old and have a family with diabetes i have always been worried that i myself will get it, a friend of mine lost hes vision not so long ago and had a very high sugar level of 700 (Converted to mmol/l. 38.8) which he is still in hospital, last night i had blured vision and woke up the same this morning, i did some reserch into this and found i have all the symptoms of type 2 diabetes ... How ever i have a very high fober of needles ... Is there any other way of getting tested before something serious does happen?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If you are worried, I would speak to your GP. Its what they get paid for!!
I know you have a needle phobia but your chemist should be able to give you a "pricker" test to set your mind at rest/give you reason to demand GP assistance.

alaska

Hi Tiny-Tots

A test for diabetes does not need to involve needles. A blood test is made by pricking one's finger. The skin gets punctured but only for a split second. A drop of blood from your finger can be tested to measure your blood glucose level at that point in time.

Another test which is sometimes used is to test the urine. All that's needed is a urine sample for this.

As you are 22, type 1 diabetes is a possibility. The symptoms can develop quite quickly so if you're finding yourself continually thirsty and needing to urinate more often than usual through the day (and particularly if you're needing to urinate during the night) then I would recommend going to the doctors to be checked.

I hope things turn out ok.

Ed

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Now you can cope with a fingerprick you can go to see your doctor! Your 5.5 is nothing to worry about but since you are worried you should see him to set your mind at rest. Especially if you have the symptoms mentioned above. Just one random test is not enough to tell you if you have or don't have diabetes. If there is anything wrong with you, you need to know as soon as possible as you have seen what can happen with your friend. :)

LauraNoraLoo

Word to the wise....

dont take much notice of what you read on the internet unless its from a very relaible source :)

best option...visit the doctors

like the above comment, it is what they are paid for!