Forgot lantus, what now?

viktoria

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just after some advice. I've been a bit under the weather for a couple of days and didn't take my Latus last night. I have memory issues and had to phone my husband at work to see if I had done so!! What do I need to do to correct this. I feel lousy nut was feeling that way anyway. BS 17.3. Many thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Personally I'd just keep testing and correcting with bolus until this evening. Most of us have done it at one time or another - it's probably better than accidentally injecting bolus instead of basal (which I've done twice :)).

Good luck.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, just after some advice. I've been a bit under the weather for a couple of days and didn't take my Latus last night. I have memory issues and had to phone my husband at work to see if I had done so!! What do I need to do to correct this. I feel lousy nut was feeling that way anyway. BS 17.3. Many thanks.
I've done this too.

Lantus is a long-acting insulin. The safest option is to take short-acting insulin to correct your BG.

A typical ratio of BG to short-acting is 2:1. So to reduce BG by 9mmol/L, would require 4.5 units of rapid-acting.

Bear in mind:
The ratio varies with individual insulin sensitivity
Usually a larger correction is needed when BG is very high
The rapid-acting will last for as long as 5 hours so be careful not to stack too much up or you may go low later
However your BG will be trending upwards if you dont take any Lantus.

Therefore I'd suggest also taking half of your usual Lantus dose now, and keeping a careful eye on your BG trend in the evening.

If you take only short-acting, you'll need several corrections during the day; be careful of overlapping doses.

viktoria

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I'd just keep testing and correcting with bolus until this evening. Most of us have done it at one time or another - it's probably better than accidentally injecting bolus instead of basal (which I've done twice :)).

Good luck.
Thank you.