Slimming world and Type 1

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And so it begins
So after being diagnosed as diabetic type 1 for 2 years and putting on 4 (!!) stone I have decided to try slimming world. I am starting Monday to start a fresh week and will post to let you know how I'm doing. Obviously slimming world is all about the free carbs and we can't have too many so will tell u how I get on with this aswell.

Also my partner of 3 years is going to be doing it with me (a non diabetic) because he's put on about 3 stone since we met lol.

Wish me luck

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Elc1112

Good luck! I actually joined a few months ago. I had a stone that I wanted to lose and really needed the pressure of a weekly weigh in to keep me on track! It's an easy diet to keep up and it honestly hadn't felt like a diet. I've actually lost a stone and half now, which I am thrilled about. Coupled it with plenty of exercise so that I improved tone and fitness, too.

Let us know how you get on!

Em

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well on day 4 and completely recommended it to a diabetic. My bloods have never been so good!! Try to stick to about 45g of carbs compared to the never ending potatoes, pasta and rice that partner can eat. Weighing in tomorrow to see if it's working

Reactions: Pinkorchid

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So had first weigh in. Lost an amazing 12 lb and partner lost 15 lb. Well chuffed x

Reactions: 10 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
So had first weigh in. Lost an amazing 12 lb and partner lost 15 lb. Well chuffed x
Well done, that's awesome!

I'm just curious, do you have set doses of insulin or do you adjust the dose for each meal?

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on levimir morning and night. Currently 40 units in a morning and 44 on an evening but have a feeling I will have to cut these down soon. For meals I am on novorapid, 1 unit per 10 carbs and 1 unit to drop by 2 if I'm over 10. Since being on this diet not once have I had to inject for being over x

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2nd weigh in tomorrow. Have a feeling I've not lost but still going to keep at it x

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you . Only lost 1/2 a pound this week but a loss is still a loss. Joining gym tomorrow so will see how I get on then with my bloods etc x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done, I agree that you're going to have to look carefully at the basal dose, especially if you start exercising. For someone who is taking 1 unit to 10g carbs which is suggests reasonably insulin sensitive, you seem to be taking quite a high proportion of basal.

Reactions: 2 people

ydojcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. To be honest my readings haven't been below 16 for ages so my consultant said to up my levimir. Since starting this diet I haven't had a reading over 10 and have had a few hypos so think I am gonna start reducing it by 2 units and see how I get on x

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi @ydojcod I know this is an old post, but I was just wondering if you could tell me how you got on with slimming world? Thanks.

lou g

Dislikes
Not being able to eat and drink as much as you like!
Hi. I am type 1.
want to lose weight. Already on a low carb diet and go to the gym every day but not losing much weight.
Interested about slimming world.
Any advice

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I am type 1.
want to lose weight. Already on a low carb diet and go to the gym every day but not losing much weight.
Any advice
Hi Lou,
I can’t praise SW enough! I was diagnosed type 1 30 years ago and lost 5 stone in 14 months with Slimming World. I have maintained this weight loss for 2 years now. My diabetes is so much easier to control - basal is down from 46units per day to just over 12 (on a pump). With every 10lb or so that I lost, I had to change my basal and my bonus ratios.
I believe in it so much that a few months ago I bought a franchise and am now running my own group and I really want to build links with local health care professionals to support type 2’s to lose weight when it is needed.
If you haven’t joined yet, you could speak to your GP or diabetes nurse to see if your area supports Slimming World on Referral which will give you 12 weeks free membership. Takes about 10wks from enquiry to receiving a code to join a group.
Good luck and feel free to ask any questions

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I am type 1.
Any advice
Sorry to complicate this but I am type 1 and tried Slimming World. I was not very overweight but was curious.
Good things - group support and the discipline of the weekly weigh in, lots of flexibility and good recipes
Bad things - failed to lose much weight and was very hungry (post weigh in we used to head to the pub for chips and mayo!), lots of slimming junk food on sale and the emphasis was always on cheering big weight loss. Lots of women were returnees which I found depressing. Finally the diet works by cutting out all but a minimal amount of fat and allowing large quantities of free low fat food (fruit and veg) plus treats ('syns') thus you can eat lots of oily water (the cooking spray they promote) plus all that veg but still feel ravenous.
Diabetes wise you will end up eating less and be much more conscious of what you eat so I am not surprised it works for some but doesn't suit me and I prefer to simply cut out carbs and not count anything else!

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been doing Slimming World for a few weeks and have lost half a stone. I've found it pretty easy and not felt hungry.

I think too much is made of the 'free food' aspect - as diabetics, we already know to be sensible about carbs, there's no magic wand that means you can suddenly eat loads of potatoes or pasta, it's just that it's not a low-carb diet like Atkins. I like that there isn't too much weighing and measuring involved because I do enough of that already with carbs.

Similarly with syns, of course you can use these on crisps or chocolate if you like, but I tend to use them for healthy fats.