Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I know it is still very early days yet but I do hope you are feeling a little better about the rediagnosis. Best wishes.

Reactions: mrsmusic

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I aimed to be off meds, losing weight quickly, getting fitter etcetc. Instead, i did all that and ended up on higher medications. ..then this. Bit of a blow
Yes, a blow indeed. I really empathise with your disappointment. But please don't think your efforts were wasted or a failure. Having succeeded in losing weight and getting fitter is a huge success and will stand you in very good stead even though you haven't had exactly the reward you hoped for.

mrsmusic

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, a blow indeed. I really empathise with your disappointment. But please don't think your efforts were wasted or a failure. Having succeeded in losing weight and getting fitter is a huge success and will stand you in very good stead even though you haven't had exactly the reward you hoped for.
Thankyou. I'm gradually coming to terms with the fact that I'm likely to be on insulin soon. It also appears that the t2 Januvia meds that I've been on are actually detrimental to my condition, ehich was another blow! Trick few days. Thanks for your time .

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might like to read through this info. on meds. from the much respected writer Jenny Ruhl: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/17977284.php

I don't follow how that table, on drugs prescribed for type 2 diabetes, is relevant or helpful to the OP, who was initially misdiagnosed with type 2 but has now had type 1 confirmed? Januvia stimulates beta cells to produce insulin, so it is not recommended for people with type 1.5 who wish to prolong their honeymoon period because stimulating the beta cells will highlight them to the immune system, which is trying to kill them off.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't follow how that table, on drugs prescribed for type 2 diabetes, is relevant or helpful to the OP, who was initially misdiagnosed with type 2 but has now had type 1 confirmed? Januvia stimulates beta cells to produce insulin, so it is not recommended for people with type 1.5 who wish to prolong their honeymoon period because stimulating the beta cells will highlight them to the immune system, which is trying to kill them off.
This is the quote from the OP to which I was responding: "It also appears that the t2 Januvia meds that I've been on are actually detrimental to my condition, ehich was another blow!" Regardless of the fact that her doctor may well have taken her off Januvia already, I thought she might like to see it confirmed that, yes, Januvia is believed to be harmful, even to T2s, by someone as well-respected as JR.

Samitmohal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I was diagnosed t2 in Jan 2016 and did really well. However in past few months it's been harder to keep sugars down in spite of doing pretty much everything by the book.My diabetic educator got suspicious and asked for GAD tests. Hey presto, my gp just told me it looks like type 1a after all. I'm totally gutted and overwhelmed. I've worked soo hard these past 2 years towards something i thought i could control, but it appears not. V upset tonight, and frightened.

I understand completely....i was very recently diagnosed at T1D.....after being t2D for two years also...absolutely gutted.

But life goes on it has too....i have started on insulin only today, not great because it's not for while but for rest of my life....but live in hope that they bring out a cure within 10 years. Until then insulin is our friend it has to be we have no choice. Just remember that insulin lifestyle is Something we should control and not be controlled by it.

Good luck and chin up it's life after all.....it happens such is life.....be strong like really strong.

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally understand your shock as have been there too since I was also originally diagnosed type 2. Followed all the advice, was on a very low carb diet and was relatively slim but my BG kept rising - couldn't understand it and my GP had a fixed mindset - there was 'no way' I could be type 1 at age 48. Unfortunately I ended up as an emergency admission to hospital with DKA - where they then actually did the blood tests and corrected the diagnosis to late onset type 1. Sounds like your GP is a bit more switched on so the good news is you didn't need to get so ill before they got the right diagnosis for you. Now you'll be getting the right treatment it will all get easier. The last few months have been a steep learning curve for me to sort my insulin ratios - but it's getting there and the support from the medical team has been brilliant. You will adjust once you're over the shock so give yourself some time - we've got this for life so you don't have to get your head round it all at once - one step at a time and you'll get there.

Hi. I was diagnosed t2 in Jan 2016 and did really well. However in past few months it's been harder to keep sugars down in spite of doing pretty much everything by the book.My diabetic educator got suspicious and asked for GAD tests. Hey presto, my gp just told me it looks like type 1a after all. I'm totally gutted and overwhelmed. I've worked soo hard these past 2 years towards something i thought i could control, but it appears not. V upset tonight, and frightened.

Reactions: Japes

mrsmusic

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally understand your shock as have been there too since I was also originally diagnosed type 2. Followed all the advice, was on a very low carb diet and was relatively slim but my BG kept rising - couldn't understand it and my GP had a fixed mindset - there was 'no way' I could be type 1 at age 48. Unfortunately I ended up as an emergency admission to hospital with DKA - where they then actually did the blood tests and corrected the diagnosis to late onset type 1. Sounds like your GP is a bit more switched on so the good news is you didn't need to get so ill before they got the right diagnosis for you. Now you'll be getting the right treatment it will all get easier. The last few months have been a steep learning curve for me to sort my insulin ratios - but it's getting there and the support from the medical team has been brilliant. You will adjust once you're over the shock so give yourself some time - we've got this for life so you don't have to get your head round it all at once - one step at a time and you'll get there.
Thankyou. Yes i am indeed grateful that my Diabetic Educator (I'm in Oz) started getting suspicious before I got sick, and had enough of a hunch to order the tests. I'm seeing an endocrinologist next week so have had a week or so to get my head around what might be coming next. Appreciate your response.

rrenee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Well if you have LADA please look it up which is 1.5 also look it up.......Which at 70 yr old I was diagnosed then went through HELL.... now 5 Years Later I See the LIGHT!!

I Now have a GMS which is Dexcom 5 and OMNIPOD Tubeless PUMP!! This is Your Ticket to Ride the Rainbow of LIFE! Before I was Not in a Good Place.Today I am :) :) Personally I don't think Anyone with Type 1 or 1.5 can have a L I F E if you don't have a GMS and Omnipod.. Blessings and Hugs....

rrenee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's pretty much my timeline from initial Type 2 diagnosis to LADA - both my current GP and I were getting suspicious as it was utterly clear I was doing everything in my power to keep control but sugars were just going up and up.

Now, 2 months down the line from the first day in the clinic plus the switch to insulin it's been so much easier and far better controlled.

I was initially furious I'd worked so hard to keep under control, (as well as fed up with a previous GP telling me I wasn't trying hard enough with either diet or exercise) but it quickly switched to a massive sense of relief to learn it wouldn't matter how hard I tried anymore if the wrong treatment was being followed.A

So much of what I learnt in the two years of diet/meds/exercise control is still really useful and it's not been a waste of time. There are some re-adjustments on-going, but I'm getting there with them.

Be kind and gentle with yourself - it will be OK once you've got used to it!

Hi there LADA Friend! May I Suggest the following...Dexcom 5 GMS Plus Omnipod Tubeless Pump..I am so HAPPY with this Magic Pair I feel like I have died and gone to Heaven! Check them out and you will feel like You once again :)
Have a great Life!

D

Deleted Account

Personally I don't think Anyone with Type 1 or 1.5 can have a L I F E if you don't have a GMS and Omnipod.. Blessings and Hugs....
That seems an odd statement.
I have always had a life with type 1 diabetes including before I had a pump. I have no CGM because, for me, the values reported by the CGM are too unpredictably inaccurate such that they caused more problems than solved (e.g. being woken in night with hypo alarm to find a finger prick reading of 6.1).
There is also the issue of money. Few people can afford to fund their own pump and CGM and, for many the options are not available on health care.
I guess different things work for different people and glad you have found what works for you.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That seems an odd statement.
I have always had a life with type 1 diabetes including before I had a pump. I have no CGM because, for me, the values reported by the CGM are too unpredictably inaccurate such that they caused more problems than solved (e.g. being woken in night with hypo alarm to find a finger prick reading of 6.1).
There is also the issue of money. Few people can afford to fund their own pump and CGM and, for many the options are not available on health care.
I guess different things work for different people and glad you have found what works for you.

Sounds more like an advert to me.