Nerve damage remission?

BrianSkye

Because of spinal and exit canal stenosis and three prolapsed discs, one of which is in the cervical spine I have considerable nerve damage, neuropathic pain and muscle weakness/spasticity. Unfortunately in the middle of this I became T2 and before I regained some control over my BG I added further damage with the result I have very little feeling in my legs and feet.
Recently I have lost much of the feeling in my left fingertips together with modified sensation such that, for example, opening a serrated bottle top is like trying to unscrew a cactus. Again, the situation is clouded because I am also getting temporary numbness and pins and needles in the hand which is directly attributable to the damage in my cervical spine.
The problem with my fingertips however is 24/7 and surprisingly disabling. If it extends to my right hand I shall no longer be able to operate my graphics tablet or write properly. What I would like to know is if anyone has had the experience of getting any remission in some of the nerve damage caused by T2 diabetes? Is there any prospect that if I further improve my control I might be able to get my fingertips back?

Reactions: MargaretR

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I used to have tingling sensations in fingers since getting non-diabetic numbers have none, not even little reminders. This may or may not resolve in the same way for you, but at the very least it will not make things worse (and when you improve a bad marker others tend to follow). There is some hope, so well worth focusing your resources on getting your diabetes under the best control you can.

SheilaSalop

Hiya, I am new and still trying to work the system and was trying to just quote the last sentence in Brian's post - but have clearly failed, I will go back to the tutorial! Anyway to the point. My sympathise are with you Brian. Unfortunately I have no useful advice as I am looking for the same information ie whether there is anything to be done once nerve damage has occurred, I will be watching this thread with interest. In the meantime keep in touch and let me know what you find out!

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Because of spinal and exit canal stenosis and three prolapsed discs, one of which is in the cervical spine I have considerable nerve damage, neuropathic pain and muscle weakness/spasticity. Unfortunately in the middle of this I became T2 and before I regained some control over my BG I added further damage with the result I have very little feeling in my legs and feet.
Recently I have lost much of the feeling in my left fingertips together with modified sensation such that, for example, opening a serrated bottle top is like trying to unscrew a cactus. Again, the situation is clouded because I am also getting temporary numbness and pins and needles in the hand which is directly attributable to the damage in my cervical spine.
The problem with my fingertips however is 24/7 and surprisingly disabling. If it extends to my right hand I shall no longer be able to operate my graphics tablet or write properly. What I would like to know is if anyone has had the experience of getting any remission in some of the nerve damage caused by T2 diabetes? Is there any prospect that if I further improve my control I might be able to get my fingertips back?
I used to get nerve issues with my hands, numbness on my fingertips, tingling and a type of achiness, especially my left hand.
However since I started having good control it has disappeared. I am optimistic that with good BG control will also come relief from the issue for you too.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had some pain in my fingers for the past 3 years. When I asked the doc, he said carpel tunnel syndrome. But it has improved with better control, so I assume its neuropathy, although mild.
What isn't clear is what level of remission you need to achieve an improvement in symptoms. My guess is a hba1c of around 37. It may depend on how high your excursions after meals are along with Hba1c.
As I said, it a guess, based on n=1 study. YMMV.
I hope your pain levels drop and you achieve the control you need.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Brian - Sounds like you've been through the mill a bit in last times.

Personally, I didn't and haven't experienced diabetic neuropathy, but I have experienced post-surgical neuropathy on my ribcage. Thankfully, with the passage of time, it seems to be going.

Over relatively recent times, on here a number of people have commented on easing nerve pain symptoms after using a supplement called R-ALA. As I understand it, it must be the R-ALA, and not just ALA.

I'll tag our friend @Bluetit1802 who felt some benefits, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@BrianSkye

The supplement R-ALA has certainly helped me, and several others on the forum. My neuropathy isn't diabetes related, it was a side effect of chemotherapy and restricted to my feet. I stopped taking it last December as the neuropathy had gone, but started again at the beginning of May because the symptoms returned. Since then it has virtually disappeared again.

This is where I buy it from, and this website explains what it is and what the benefits are. There is quite a bit about it if you do a Google search.

https://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swa... Double Strength R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid

You have to be careful to buy the R- fraction variety and not the plain ALA as the R- fraction is the only one that occurs naturally in the human body.

BrianSkye

Thanks for the suggestion of R-ALA of which I was not aware, amazing considering I have been suffering from neuropathic pains for the last 15 years. I have ordered some and will report if I get significant benefit.

Reactions: Bluetit1802