Statins

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely, it's all about good control! A quarter of T2s have an HbA1c in the 40s or lower and less than 10% of T1s, putting the vast majority in the high risk group of CVD complications.
Does that figure not make you rather sad?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have been on statins since I can remember. I have only recently, in the past 3 years?, gained full control over my type 1. I have had really high cholesterol. I had my bloods done for my cholesterol (and HBA1C) 2 weeks ago and I am booked in to see my GP tomorrow morning to discus the results. I did mention to the nurse who took my blood that I want to come off the statins. Very curious on why the GP wants to see me

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does that figure not make you rather sad?
It's scandalous! I find it staggering and enormously infuriating that efficacious low carb diets aren't a valid treatment path. Surely, it's rather obvious that current treatment paths aren't working.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's scandalous! I find it staggering and enormously infuriating that efficacious low carb diets aren't a valid treatment path. Surely, it's rather obvious that current treatment paths aren't working.
From those figures it sure is...

lindisfel

Expert
Ivor Cummings was talking recently about the predictors of CVD.
If one is in their mid fifties, a CAC is a good indicator of advancing heart disease and the need to take action by a low carb diet.

A T2 Needs to know their insulin profile because high insulin can be a seventimes predictor of CVD, unlike LDL, where they are not sure if it's a predictor at all! However statins do reduce inflammation and stabilise plaques.

It is scandalous in the UK that people are not checked for their insulin profile before the damage is done. When asked most doctors think you have got it all wrong. There is no money in the system and most would have to pay to have it done.
I know one very thin T2 and the doctor will not test her for c peptide.

But even if you are T1 and certainly T2, it is best not to have a lot of insulin floating round one's body inflaming one's arteries that then need cholesterol to repair them.
Some think cholesterol in plaques in artery walls is part of the repair job for high insulin and high blood glucose damage.

Obviously with T2s high insulin comes years before the pancreas cannot control the bodies glucose.

Some T1s are getting excellent hba1c s with keto diets.

regards
Derek
The National Diabetes Audit found that 10% of diabetics have had a cardio vascular event (heart attack, myocardial infarction etc) in the past year. So we're a high risk group, in fact it's the thing that's most likely to kill us. So it's all about risk management, which is why you GP suggested you go onto statins.

Lot's of healthy debate on this forum about peoples' choice to take statins or not. It's down to you and your doctors recommendations, ultimately.

Last edited:
Reactions: AloeSvea

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just been informed by my GP that anyone who has diabetes for 10years or more should start taking statins, I was wondering if anyone was on them and if you have any advice? Thankyou
I would suggest that you look at as much of the research you can find, and make up your own mind. personally I have found little research that suggests that taking statins does anything to lengthen life. A huge study (I think it was undertaken by the Cochran Collaboration for WHO, but
I’ve just been informed by my GP that anyone who has diabetes for 10years or more should start taking statins, I was wondering if anyone was on them and if you have any advice? Thankyou
Do your own research

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do your own research, and make up your own mind. There is a lot of research out there. Personally I am against statins big time. Not just because of the side effects, but because I believe that lowering cholesterol to the ridiculously low levels that doctors seem to think necessary now, is downright dangerous. High cholesterol is a symptom, not a cause. Switzerland has the lowest incidence of cardiovascular incidents in the western world AND the HIGHEST average levels of blood cholesterol. Dr Malcolm Kendrick did a meta-analysis of 70,000 people and found that 92% of those with high cholesterol lived longer than all those with low. 72%of heart attack sufferers have normal to low cholesterol. I think it was the Cochrane collaboration (I could be wrong about who actually did this one, but not the results) did a huge meta-analysis on behalf of the WHO which found that although those with a naturally low BP had a built in resistance to cardiovascular and kidney problems, there was no benefit to lowering BP artificially below 140/90, and that statins might ?(and this was put down to statistical error)increase life expectancy by 1 DAY. Cholesterol is vital for cell regeneration. Your body cannot make new cells without it as it plays a major role in the production of cell membranes.
This is just my opinion, and although I vent a lot about it, please do your own research and make up your own mind.

Sulasailor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There is a significant body of opinion that Statins are harmful. Google Stephanie Seneff for her powerful arguments against statins. I have stopped taking them after 13 years of treatment, even though I am in the catagory of patients that might benefit as a cardiac patient and T2. I have done this on the basis that adopting a low carb high fat lifestyle which has reversed my T2 condition. There is also clear evidence that the use of Statins is driven by commercial interest and that the adverse effect of the drug oot ways the benefits. Cholesterol is vital to the bodies function particularly to the brain. Why take a drug that inhibits the production of an important part of human life. Why take a drug whose producers will not publish their results. Why take a drug whose positive effects can be achieved by lifestyle changes. Check out Dr Malcom Kendrick You Tube ‘does diet play a role in CVD. Since stopping Rosuvastatin I note that I have less muscle and joint pain, clearer thought processes, and delayed healing of my total knee replacement has now got much better. Statins damage muscles and lead to frailty, there is increasing evidence that brain function is affected and thoughts that they may be a factor in increased levels of dementia in populations since their introduction. Check the evidence against statins and ask for clinical trial evidence of their benefits. Their prevelance and overuse may subsequently prove to be a medical health scandal judging by the significant amount of anti statin information out there. The benefits statistics have been massaged by the use of ratios to over play the benefits.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
plant them in your garden in a circle neat little rows around a 12 inch diameter After a couple of weeks the seeds should start to germinate. Place stakes in the ground and trace the strongest plants around them, thinning out the rest...
...oh sod it that's runner beans and you meant statins. erm......bin for them I think,

Reactions: OrsonKartt

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Google Stephanie Seneff for her powerful arguments against statins.
I remember watching her interview on utube a couple of years back and one thing I do remember that she was emphatic about and that was that there had been no study showing any benefit to taking statins whatsoever for women.
Oh and of course the fact that under no circumstances would she personally ever take statins.

As an added thought it seems to me that a substance such as cholesterol that has been part of the make up of every living animal on Earth for at least 558 million years can't be all that bad.

Last edited:

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find this thread interesting it started with a doctors advice and we were asked for our opinions Firstly A DOCTOR is not GOD (although some may think they are.) A doctor is a well trained Health professional (mostly) and also an overworked short of time individual who when they have time between patients etc they Read all the latest research on EVERY possible illness(as if that were possible.) and base there advice on that and in between all that they also read all the stuff put out by the drug manufacturers to Persuade Doctors to Prescribe their product. (Which is of course not BIASED AT ALL.).
The above is what is supposed to happen in a perfect world the truth is in the age of computers and in the 2mins between Patients he/she will look up you and if he has time your problems on a computer and come up with the most up to date info available (to pass on to you).

The most important person is YOU (the Patient.) and in this Internet driven age you can do your own research make up your own mind Challenge your overworked Doctor Opinion (Remember the are not GOD.) My Brother was a Doctor and on the subject of Cancer he once told me that if he advised Patients to avoid all the food that research said might cause Cancer they would die of Starvation. So my advice is to take everything with a PINCH OF SALT and RESEARCH an LISTEN TO YOURSELF AFTERWEIGHING ALL THE INFOORMATION

elaine ann

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have tried several differant statins but they all made me ache dreadfully! This was jst too much as i hve Fibromyalgia and ache every day anyway & have to take large amounts of painkillers. At a hospital appointment 4 months ago when they thought I had angina, I was prescribed Repatha, this is an injection which I give myself every two weeks. Initially it made me ache for a few days but has settled so I feel fine. I'm going for a blood test next week to check my cholestol as it was previously too high & with having diabetes, high Cholestrol and being overweight they still consider me high risk of stroke or heart attack. Following an angiogram the cardiologist informed me my heart is in pristine condition!but I should carry on with the Repatha to keep my cholesterol under control. Apparently it is a very expensive drug and you have to meet a strict criteria to be eligible. Is anyone else on this drug?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel I need to post this video on this thread about how statins work and what they do to your body. Warning... its not good!

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
We can get into a real mess as we age and statins, for some of us, makes the final years worse by amplifying failing health.
Fraility is a real problem for the elderly.

My now deceased sister, older than I, took statins for some years until she was moving round the rooms of her home having to hold on to the furniture because of the pain in her body and legs.
Her friend's husband had played concert piano and had at sometime been on statins and found he could no longer play. But he largely recovered after stopping them so told my sister what had happened. She stopped taking them and her movement was much improved but sadly she succumbed to another far worse condition.

I am sure her end was not enhanced by statins and too much bp medication.

I think we have to be very circumspect about the meds we take and be discerning about the advice we are given.
Some of us are not affected by statins at all.
D.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi all,
We can get into a real mess as we age and statins, for some of us, makes the final years worse by amplifying failing health.
Fraility is a real problem for the elderly.

My now deceased sister, older than I, took statins for some years until she was moving round the rooms of her home having to hold on to the furniture because of the pain in her body and legs.
Her friend's husband had played concert piano and had at sometime been on statins and found he could no longer play. But he largely recovered after stopping them so told my sister what had happened. She stopped taking them and her movement was much improved but sadly she succumbed to another far worse condition.

I am sure her end was not enhanced by statins and too much bp medication.

I think we have to be very circumspect about the meds we take and be discerning about the advice we are given.
Some of us are not affected by statins at all.
D.

I am not sure you can say that some of us are not affected by statins at all. You may say that some people have no discernible side effects but if you watch the video upthread you will come to realise that statins do have an affect at the biomolecular level, that affect is scary.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried several differant statins but they all made me ache dreadfully! This was jst too much as i hve Fibromyalgia and ache every day anyway & have to take large amounts of painkillers. At a hospital appointment 4 months ago when they thought I had angina, I was prescribed Repatha, this is an injection which I give myself every two weeks. Initially it made me ache for a few days but has settled so I feel fine. I'm going for a blood test next week to check my cholestol as it was previously too high & with having diabetes, high Cholestrol and being overweight they still consider me high risk of stroke or heart attack. Following an angiogram the cardiologist informed me my heart is in pristine condition!but I should carry on with the Repatha to keep my cholesterol under control. Apparently it is a very expensive drug and you have to meet a strict criteria to be eligible. Is anyone else on this drug?

I have been on Praluent which is a similar drug to Repatha for 6 months . It was prescribed by my Lipid consultant at the hospital, who I was referred to by my diabetic doctor as she was not happy with my cholesterol.
My LDL cholesterol’s now 1 down from 5 and my total cholesterol is 4.1 down from 7
Like you I had tried 3 different Statins and could not tolerate the side effects. I also have had 2 strokes and was offered Praluent as I met the criteria required. My drug is funded every 6 months and has just been funded again for a further 6 months. I have been told I have to keep taking it as long as I tolerate it .
I have not had any side effects really except a few nasty bruises on my belly from the jabs.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
As I do take Rosuvastatin I found this thread interesting. Pros/Cons/Opinions. After my own research a few months ago, after seeing warnings about Statins, but also complimentary articles about using Statins, I first stopped using it then started again, after a reprimand from my doctor at the Diabetes Clinic, and added CoQ10 to my daily meds intake. My Cholesterol levels were on the "high side of good" but my Oncologist wanted it lower to be safe, as increasing age has a way of making things worse :(

I also take Pantoprozole (Pantaloc) first thing in the morning due to having Gerd. A multivitamin mid-day and extra Magnesium at dinner/supper time. Day starts with a bottle of Boost Diabetic ... it does have 14 carbs, added multivitamins and minerals, but I don't eat solid food until noon. Trying to maintain a LCHF diet as much possible but hard to teach an old dog new tricks that was always meat and potatoes and loved my sweets. Diagnosed T2 at 68 yrs old means a lot of bad food habits are well entrenched and hard to change ... but I am succeeding. 6 ft tall and dropped from 210 lbs to 160 lbs through a mindset attitude change in regards to diet and thanks to Jardiance. CBD Oil also seems to lower food cravings and intake.

What is good for one person may be very bad for another. I have always said that your body is like a complex combination lock ... no two are the same. One of my sisters, for example, tried Jardiance because of my very positive experience (she had been on Metformin and living through gastrointestinal hell because of it) and Jardiance made things even worse for her. She lost some weight but had to go back to Metformin.

I am fortunate with just about any med as I never seem to have adverse reactions. I am on Jardiance 25mg once per day and Rosuvastatin 10mg once per day. CoQ10 250mg once per day.

Hard to say, though, if I suffer muscle pains because of Statins because of a back/neck injury 50 years ago - I am now 70 - and chronic pain ever since. All I can say is that it didn't make it any worse :)

For the muscle pain I take CBD Oil (3ml 10mg tincture w/less than 1mg THC) in the morning, and CBD Oil (3ml 20mg tincture with 7.5 mg THC) in the evening. Helps mitigate pain and provides a nice deep sleep that I never had before using it. Effect on BG, if any, is minimal.

I am not retired, work full-time (from home office), and active because we have 4 dogs that mean forced exercise through walking (no personal backyard to speak of as we live in a townhome condo). Also 2 flights of stairs in a 3 floor condo creates a built-in stair-master for exercise.

Because of the various combination of meds, foods, lifestyle, other health conditions or disabilities, and genetics, we are all different.