Food Labelling Workshops

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I received an email from Diabetes UK (not sure how I ended up on their list, but still...) about some workshops they are running across the country to discuss food labelling. You can sign up/express interest here:

https://forms.diabetes.org.uk/food-upfront

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I left my contact information, and offered to do a survey - but the workshops are about calories not carbs so totally irrelevant for diabetics like me.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I left my contact information, and offered to do a survey - but the workshops are about calories not carbs so totally irrelevant for diabetics like me.

Interesting. I had a different take - participation would give an opportunity to broaden the discussion. Have asked to go along to the London one, but depends on timing as I am at the Arsenal match that day, in which case it will be a survey.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a long way from any of the workshops, and it would not be a good use of my time and petrol money.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting. I had a different take - participation would give an opportunity to broaden the discussion. Have asked to go along to the London one, but depends on timing as I am at the Arsenal match that day, in which case it will be a survey.
Hi. I am signed up for the London one at the end of September. It seems to be about carbs and cals and intends to propose broadening the scope of the discussion to restaurants, cafes etc. My DuK volunteer friend attended another of the workshops in which she suggested broadening still further to drinks.
I do not agree with DuK's take on this because they are in favour of 'traffic lights' in which foods high in sat fat, sugar and salt would be 'red' based on the Eatwell plate advice they promote. I do agree with making things simpler and more consistent but feel that until there is consensus on what constitutes a generally healthy diet and what makes us fat, we'll be struggling to get the food industry to change.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone advocating extra information on labels should bear in mind that they are often difficult to read already. The label below is from a M&S Curry and Rice. I would suggest all labels should use a standard table for the nutrition, they could get rid of the translations to make space (I am happy to translate to English in the unlikely event of buying a ready meal abroad). The traffic light system just has to be ignored, it is based on the Recommended Daily Amount, so unless this changes the traffic lights are going to be meaningless anyway.

label2.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone advocating extra information on labels should bear in mind that they are often difficult to read already. The label below is from a M&S Curry and Rice. I would suggest all labels should use a standard table for the nutrition, they could get rid of the translations to make space (I am happy to translate to English in the unlikely event of buying a ready meal abroad). The traffic light system just has to be ignored, it is based on the Recommended Daily Amount, so unless this changes the traffic lights are going to be meaningless anyway.

View attachment 28261

Tend to agree. A better campaign might be around what goes into some of this stuff.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These days so many people go around with their noses to their phones, why not make the information available online - maybe a more elaborate self service device for use in store, plus an app for phone or ipad, tablet etc. to help with food selection and meal planning - labels are so last century.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 28261
M&S are definitely the worst offenders on almost indecipherable labels and no info on their website at all.
Pretty poor show.

Reactions: dbr10

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been given a place on the London workshop on 29th September. Anyone else?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Boo1979 and Goonergirl! Did you go to that London workshop? Mine is the 29th in East London.
Were you able to share your thoughts? Did they offer any coffee??!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Boo1979 and Goonergirl! Did you go to that London workshop? Mine is the 29th in East London.
Were you able to share your thoughts? Did they offer any coffee??!

Nicole I’m going to the one on 29th!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately I cant go now and have had to cancel - my 87 year old mum had a fall and Im pretty caught up trying to sort out care arrangements before I go on hols.