DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the title says; do you have, or have you used one of these?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Hon...537736596&sr=8-7&keywords=KETONE+BREATH+METER

I have never really striven to be in ketosis, as I preferred to eat to my meter, rather than specifically count carbs, but whilst clicking around looking on Amazon for something else, I found this and it piqued my interest.

Any feedback or comments could be useful.

Reactions: kitedoc

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the title says; do you have, or have you used one of these?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Hon...537736596&sr=8-7&keywords=KETONE+BREATH+METER

I have never really striven to be in ketosis, as I preferred to eat to my meter, rather than specifically count carbs, but whilst clicking around looking on Amazon for something else, I found this and it piqued my interest.

Any feedback or comments could be useful.

@Brunneria mentioned them in Birmingham, I think she has one.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks a bit like a hot glue gun or an in ear thermometer...

I'll tag in @bulkbiker , you never know...? :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jaylee
I have a blood ketone monitor (Caresens Dual) but I have heard of the breathalyser being used as a ketone meter but think they are sometimes hard to calibrate.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a cheap breathalyser I bought from ebay for under $10 including shipping. It detects ketones, and quite accurately too. If you get one, you need to talk nearly all your breath away before you blow into it. Ketones over 0.05 will set the device's alarm off - it doesn't know the difference between alcohol and ketones. You have to take the batteries out to stop the alarm. It's a lot cheaper than purchasing strips. It matches my blood ketones pretty accurately. Sometimes you have to blow twice to get an accurate reading. I always blow twice, not bragging. :p

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Never used one but reading up on them (ketogenic forum, ketoconcern.com, biohackerslab.com) the main issues appear to be:
breathing technique, keeping the batteries fresh, cost, and how many times can one use the device.
One of the more expensive devices (Ketonix) can be linked to the computer and needs no batteries but needs specific breathing technique and takes 20 minutes to warm up; another the KetoIQ seems well liked. The cheaper models seem to work but for how long? Also most of the reviews are done by companies like Amazon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty sure that @CherryAA uses something similar.

I use the Caresens Dual meter - strips not cheap, but don’t need to test very often.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have a normal breathalyzer, alcosense zero. I have never managed to get a reading out of it. But that will be down to willpower over carbs. It has a lower cutoff of something like 20 bac. So you need to be above trace levels before it will give a reading. People have attempted to calibrate blood ketones to breath. But they are different things, and will be affected by how fat adapted you are. But the idea has merit as a in/out type test, with less weight been given to the absolute numbers.
Member @AllieRainbow reports her numbers in her diet diary thread.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Canvaspic - Just wondering whether you have tried talking out your breath rather than breathing it out when you use your breathalyser? Mine only works if I count out loud until I have nearly no breath left, and then use the last bit of breath for the breathalyser. It won't work if you blow out your breath, or blow into it with full lungs. I'm not sure why the talking thing is how it works.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Canvaspic - Just wondering whether you have tried talking out your breath rather than breathing it out when you use your breathalyser? Mine only works if I count out loud until I have nearly no breath left, and then use the last bit of breath for the breathalyser. It won't work if you blow out your breath, or blow into it with full lungs. I'm not sure why the talking thing is how it works.

Ill give it another try. Its more that I struggle to stick to the 20g of carbs. A little milk in my tea, a few strawberries, nuts...suddenly I am hitting 35g of carbs. Low by most people’s standards, but too high to get into ketosis. Ill let you know how it goes.