Truly disgusting

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ASEEM MALHOTRA
september 23 2018, 12:01am, the sunday times
Public Health England is out to ‘sabotage’ my Pioppi Diet advice

Earlier this month, I delivered the keynote lecture to an audience of 250 GPs and other healthcare professionals at the UK’s first medical educational-accredited lifestyle medicine conference in Leeds.

Much of the day focused on the root causes behind the public health crisis of type 2 diabetes and obesity, and what we can do to fix it. One of the biggest challenges is improving the message to the public on healthy eating.

For decades, powerful food companies have profited from promoting misleading health information and aggressively marketing junk food to children and the most vulnerable members of society. Public Health England is charged with help to protect and improve the nation’s health. My experience is that its officials undermine public debate and behave more like a front group for the processed food industry rather than an independent and trustworthy body that welcomes public debate.

In an effort to combat the epidemic of health misinformation I co-wrote a book, The Pioppi Diet, which brings together the evidence on what individuals and policy-makers can do to rapidly improve health and reverse the twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes. I was pleasantly surprised when the deputy leader of the Labour Party, Tom Watson, contacted me a few months ago to let me know he had “relatively easily” lost 94lb and improved his health by specifically following the diet.

The most important message in the book — which recommends a Mediterranean-style diet low in refined carbohydrate — is how lifestyle changes are more powerful than any drug in preventing and treating heart disease; these also come without side effects.

For inexplicable reasons, according to one prominent healthcare leader (who has asked not to be identified), Public Health England tried to “sabotage” the launch and press coverage of the book last year. I was told by one eminent doctor that he had been contacted by a senior official from the body and warned from attending the launch in London, to be held at the headquarters of Penguin Random House. To his credit, he did attend.

Another health leader, who heads a national charity, did not attend, and said he had been “poisoned” against the book. Andy Burnham, the mayor of Manchester and a former health secretary, endorsed the book and attended a launch in Manchester. His office also received a call from Public Health England, warning him against showing public support of the diet.

I was shocked by these attempts to try and undermine a healthy eating plan, to stifle debate and to damage my credibility.

My campaign is to try and improve the nation’s health with a plan endorsed by several leading scientists and dietitians. Public Health England’s own recommendations for healthy eating — which are promoted by the Eatwell Plate, a diet guide backed by the Department of Health, which includes chocolate, crisps and cakes to eat “less often” — was drawn up in consultation with the food industry. I have not seen any statements from the organisation’s health officials saying we should be eating less of the sort of ultra-processed food that now makes up half of the British diet.

Public Health England makes different dietary recommendations to the Pioppi diet. It recommends placing starchy carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, at the base of the diet, and to reduce consumption of saturated fats. I have published evidence reviews showing no association between consumption of saturated fat and a heightened risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and death, but Public Health England doesn’t want to debate the issues.

We want to trust government dietary guidelines, but Public Health England must give a clear commitment to systematic reviews of the evidence. It must stop engaging in dirty tricks to try and censor and silence those who want to engage in legitimate debate.

Dr Aseem Malhotra is an NHS consultant cardiologist and visiting professor of evidence-based medicine at the Bahiana School of Medicine and Public Health in Brazil. He is the co-author with Donal O’ Neill of The Pioppi Diet, a 21-day lifestyle plan. Dr Malhotra is donating his royalties from the book to charity

Reactions: Aly67

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carol43 thanks for posting. We need an ‘angry’ button.

This is shocking, but unfortunately not overly surprising given the insidious links between the food companies and the powers that be.

Reactions: legolgel

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I did not know which emoji to give. A hug for Aseem, a trophy for yourself for posting and to Aseem for his altruism or an optimism emoji for us all because we have to beleive that together we can change things.

Disgusting is the right word and the only word to use for PHEs behaviour, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and smacks of the tobacco industrys dirty tricks when they realised efforts were being made to educate the public. The only good thing to come of this is the knowledge that PHE are on the back foot and Big Food are running scared.

*Guzzler rolls up her sleeves ready to take on Mr. Big!

Reactions: zand and Prem51

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dr Malhotra is a hero in my eyes but I can see how threatening the recommended changes (low carb, high quality fats, proteins and whole foods in general) is to the food industry but also to those in PHE who may have staked their whole careers on the idea that the best diet is low fat plus healthy whole grains. OR they may be compromised by being entangled in the food industry. Its a well know tactic to shoot down the first bravepoeple who challenge an orthodoxy and one experienced by Nina Techoilz and Gary Taubes e.g. imply they are trying to sell fad diet ideas or aren't qualified etc. etc. Anyone who challenges an orthodoxy should be challenged on a scientific basis though and openly not through shoddy tactics as described above! I am glad that Dr Malhotra has revealed that and hope that new generations of nutritional scientists will be open to much more discussion and questioning of dogma. There will always be lobbyists for commercial interests but I still think that government can do a lot to shape public behaviour which will in turn change the food environment.

Reactions: michita and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
729D2948-6500-417F-9164-05C8B5F99240.jpeg
In the Sunday Times today, saw it on Facebook so can’t link it but here’s a screenshot.

Reactions: NaomiT and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article.. maybe Dr Tedstone should take note that she does not have the final say in what people read or believe. Time for a change of career maybe... This kind of underhand bullying sounds similar to what Keys did to Yudkin except of course that we are far better informed these days.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing surprises me now what our government can get up to.... or not, as the case maybe.
:banghead:

Reactions: Prem51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
considering the track record of the government and big business (often the same people) I am astonished that people are surprised by this.

remember the tobacco industry, for example?

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why does this hold no surprises for me? Well as a retired, politically active (think union rep) senior nurse, I have seen a fair amount of behaviour motivated by profit, money, greed, kudos. So tie ins between public health leaders and for profit industry including food, pharma etc is obvious. I know very decent people who have a strong sense of honour and integrity but I suspect they are now a dying breed.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Those twitterers among you may like to visit @PHE_uk where their only response today was to recycle an old blog justifying their industry led approach to dietary advice. You can reply to this - maybe just to say:
“I followed LCHF. I lost ...kg. I reduced my Hba1c from .... to .... Please tell me why you think this approach should be suppressed.”
Let’s all do that shall we??!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have mentioned Ms Tedstone several times over the years, in the same sentence she once said words to the effect, sweets and similar should be reduced and carbohydrates increased?! When told Coke was on the Eatwell guide / plate she denied this....a little while later said Coke was removed and it is hard to find the guide online with this in it.

The problem these people have is that there is always an audit trail for the things they do, so a day of reckoning could be an excruciating experience. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Ms Tedstone was interviewed alongside Tom Watson. Her problem is that this is the second prominent MP to recommend the Pioppi diet (Keith Vaz was the other). In Ms Tedstones powerful position she could go down in history if she played this right; if she were responsible for a positive dietary change away from CICO / low fat high carb and moved towards low carb, she would be known worldwide, instead she will be easily surpassed and forgotten.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those twitterers among you may like to visit @PHE_uk where their only response today was to recycle an old blog justifying their industry led approach to dietary advice. You can reply to this - maybe just to say:
“I followed LCHF. I lost ...kg. I reduced my Hba1c from .... to .... Please tell me why you think this approach should be suppressed.”
Have done. I hope my Tweet shows, I’m not very good at Twittering!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mentioned Ms Tedstone several times over the years, in the same sentence she once said words to the effect, sweets and similar should be reduced and carbohydrates increased?! When told Coke was on the Eatwell guide / plate she denied this....a little while later said Coke was removed and it is hard to find the guide online with this in it.

The problem these people have is that there is always an audit trail for the things they do, so a day of reckoning could be an excruciating experience. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Ms Tedstone was interviewed alongside Tom Watson. Her problem is that this is the second prominent MP to recommend the Pioppi diet (Keith Vaz was the other). In Ms Tedstones powerful position she could go down in history if she played this right; if she were responsible for a positive dietary change away from CICO / low fat high carb and moved towards low carb, she would be known worldwide, instead she will be easily surpassed and forgotten.

I found this a moment or two ago: https://nhsforthvalley.com/wp-conte...ell_Plate-Guidance-Booklet-Final-21-5-141.pdf

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Done - only just getting to grips with Twitter!

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put up a tweet last night. Got a pretty impressive number of “likes” which means being read rather than popularity. Thankfully.

Reactions: hankjam and Indy51

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I liked the bit about throwing the dice! Well you sure are taking a gamble following that.

Reactions: zand