What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Kingmidas

Breakfast - low carb bread with butter and sweet freedom choc spread. Tea

Lunch - bacon and eggs

Dinner - did the first roast dinner of the autumn: chicken (legs for me and ALL the skin - yummy) broccoli, carrots, peas and my first go at roast celeriac which was delicious! Even my husband said he'd eat it which would save me doing potatoes and celeriac!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Greece and happy lamb day - It must be as I’ve had so much of it it and can testify that Greek lamb with rosemary is superb!
Breakfast at airport very early - one slice of bacon and egg
Very late lunch at our hotel on island - four lamb chops and salad with olive oil
Dinner small amount of veggie soup, slow cooked leg of lamb and tzatziki followed by Greek yoghurt ( after I refused the set pud - an ice cream - the waiter tried to find out what I would eat and I agreed to a bowl of full fat Greek yoghurt and gosh it was delicious probably home made it had a ‘crust’ hard to describe but reminded me of the top of a baked rice pudding ! and even better just did my blood sugars and same pre dinner and 2 hours later so all looks good maybe the Greek red wine helped?
Afternoon spent swimming in what felt like bath water it’s 30degrees here - back to summer!
Feeling for all you poorly people take care. Loving Greek island life - plans for tomorrow include exploring roman ruins / artefacts and then swimming in the afternoon. Not very demanding!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings from Greece and happy lamb day - It must be as I’ve had so much of it it and can testify that Greek lamb with rosemary is superb!
Very late lunch at our hotel on island - four lamb chops and salad with olive oil
Dinner small amount of veggie soup, slow cooked leg of lamb and tzatziki followed by Greek yoghurt ( after I refused the set pud - an ice cream - the waiter tried to find out what I would eat and I agreed to a bowl of full fat Greek yoghurt and gosh it was delicious probably home made it had a ‘crust’ hard to describe but reminded me of the top of a baked rice pudding ! and even better just did my blood sugars and same pre dinner and 2 hours later so all looks good maybe the Greek red wine helped?
Afternoon spent swimming in what felt like bath water it’s 30degrees here - back to summer!
Feeling for all you poorly people take care. Loving Greek island life - plans for tomorrow include exploring roman ruins / artefacts and then swimming in the afternoon. Not very demanding!
All sounds excellent @shelley262. Lamb, yogurt, fish and tzatziki are all excellent. I also developed a love of octopus. We liked the food on Skiathos best of the 3 we have visited but Crete was the best overall. I have forgotten where you are? The people are lovely on all 3 islands we have visited.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sealing. Infusions will come next. Tia Maria gives me an idea. Our sons introduced Skiathos to Espresso Martini and we have the ingredients, Now all we need is to figure out what would best be cooked in it. Could be lots of fun or coorie/lagan/còsagach apparently hygge is so last year, along with prosecco Who knew?

Cooked in it? You drink it! Although I will concede that the vodka with pineapple (fresh pineapple that'd been frozen) was utterly delicious and the resulting pineapple was spectacular, but very strong and somewhat (OK, read ridiculously) potent.

OH commented it'd be lovely with a quality ice-cream and a drizzle of bitter chocolate sauce. Bearing in mind the potency of the fruit, it could be done for a special day - provided driving or talking sense wouldn't be required.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked in it? You drink it! Although I will concede that the vodka with pineapple (fresh pineapple that'd been frozen) was utterly delicious and the resulting pineapple was spectacular, but very strong and somewhat (OK, read ridiculously) potent.

OH commented it'd be lovely with a quality ice-cream and a drizzle of bitter chocolate sauce. Bearing in mind the potency of the fruit, it could be done for a special day - provided driving or talking sense wouldn't be required.
I am aware you drink it mostly but that is so quotidian. I want something that showcases the sv. Vodka pineapple sounds a good start but I want something with espresso martini that wows the boys. Potency you say - don't think you have quite understood the sheer size and thirst of my sons

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh yes, does look good. Ive CopiedMeThat too. I love curries

I thought you did. if I haven't mentioned it before, this is a good site for Asian Indian food, and lots of it IP too, if not necessarily lower carb.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.1 FBG 5.4. My nice peaceful day. Spent the morning lying in bed texting SIL via WhatsApp (she was in Dubai but they are now on the last leg to Sydney). Decided I'd better get going as I had things to do before taking The boys to swimming lessons.
B. Slice GF black pudding, 2 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg and a Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - at swimming lessons with the boys after battling through the traffic of the half marathon.
D. Diet Doctor Fish and chips - well my adapted version. Celeriac chips, I do use their curried tartare sauce though. Cod loin cut into chunks and coated in the remains of yesterday's crumb but with more sesame seeds and parmesan added. Scoop of halo top toasted coconut and 6 raspberries.
Oh and a Campari and soda. To think I hated fish and chips. Just shows how your taste can change.
Back on the treadmill tomorrow.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - low carb bread with butter and sweet freedom choc spread. Tea

Lunch - bacon and eggs

Dinner - did the first roast dinner of the autumn: chicken (legs for me and ALL the skin - yummy) broccoli, carrots, peas and my first go at roast celeriac which was delicious! Even my husband said he'd eat it which would save me doing potatoes and celeriac!
Absolutely love celeriac and thankfully my other half has also joined me and is happy to eat it so win win here too.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a perfect start to what will hopefully be a perfect holiday. I found it very easy to enjoy low carb foods while I was in Greece this year, hopefully you will find the same.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To me it's quite parsnip-y in flavour. I bet it makes lovely soup!
Yes it does, my favourite is cauliflower soup but celeriac is a close second. Also love celeriac chips or roasted also makes a lovely mash x

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

So sorry, you both feel badly, @jayney27 and DJC3. Thinking of you and hope this passes soon.
@Goonergal -- Hope your leg will be better soon.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A DD keto roll with mayonnaise, gouda cheese and beef salami.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: About 35 grams of 95% chocolate and a glass of red wine.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with feta cheese and a homemade mustard-lime dressing. About 1/4 of a t-bone steak, two smallish calamari, about 100g of asparagus fried in olive oil, a largish avocado, two heaped tablespoons of lupin-hummus. Another glass of red wine.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Wetherspoons with my son: steak, peas, mushroom, tomato and salad in place of chips.
Mid afternoon: raspberry PhD bar with SF squash, in the M25 car park!
Dinner: cheese and bacon omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just watched the final episode of Bodyguard. I feel as if I've been put through a few wringers. Jed Mercurio is good at that. Roll on 2019 for his next Line of Duty.

Reactions: DJC3

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Soul bread toast w/ butter + low carb strawberry jam. Coffee with almond 'milk'.

L: By the time we were looking for lunch it was late, so stopped at a Burger King. Little to nothing suitable on the menu. A few days ago we had stopped at a BK and I resorted to basically eating just the sorry looking burger and leaving the bun. This time however I spotted chicken wings, alsi their salad with sachets of olive oil and vinegar. That, plus diet coke to drink. So an OK meal.

D: Cold roast pork chopped up into a salad with onion, red pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, salad leaves, goats cheese, herbs, olive oil and wine vinegar. Plus a glass of local (Palmela/Setúbal) white wine.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Cheese omelette
L. 2 peppered smoked mackerel fillets, salad of cucumber, sesame seeds with sesame oil dressing.
1 hour walk
Snack. Lots of mixed nuts
D. Gazpacho then cod fillet with light crusty coating, roast peppers and courgette, stir fried leek, cauliflower, sugar snaps and spinach. Greek yoghurt with apricots.
This a follow-up to a couple of days of poor dietary choices!

Reactions: Goonergal

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been busy and not much time to post or read much. Hope you poorly folks have shaken of your lurgies.
Have stayed low carb, with average of 40 -50 gr a day, some days low as 7g. I am not at all comfortable in the digestion area if I go full keto. Yet still seeing fasting levels of 7s, and some unexplained highs during the day. I notice that the morning levels stay high until after I have eaten, so that rules out skipping breakfast. Frustratingly there has been some regaining of some of the weight lost and I am most dischuffed. Seriously considering working out a low carb very low calorie diet method to see if I can shock my metabolism into submission. @ianpspurs would you mind explaining your method, as I notice you seem to have periods when you don't consume much. I would even reconsider my aversion to tea, if I thought that would help. I guess some theories are that I have permanently broken my metabolism through very low calorie diet in the past. No use speculating, though, just need to keep trying. Have been exercising regularly in swimming pool, too.

Sunday:
No breakfast
Lunch : coffee and cream
Dinner: Roast chicken, cauliflower, sprouts, green beans, glass of Merlot. Decaff coffee with cream

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
. @ianpspurs would you mind explaining your method, as I notice you seem to have periods when you don't consume much. I would even reconsider my aversion to tea, if I thought that would help. I guess some theories are that I have permanently broken my metabolism through very low calorie diet in the past. No use speculating, though, just need to keep trying. Have been exercising regularly in swimming pool, too.
@Pipp not too sure I have much of a method except daily weighing on waking and, currently, trying to stay at or around bmi 22. Weight targets have been a major driver for me.
The other big target for me is fibre - 30 gms per day as far as possible. Will also depend on how I feel e,g, if I know I am ill/tired I will stay clear of dead cals and carbs and just drink. No idea if this helps but it is as near a method as I can get. I have concluded weight and exercise are the keys and woe is much over rated. I have also fasted over last week as part of Ember week which may have skewed your perception.
@Dr Snoddy - poor dietary choices is an interesting point - they will all kill ya in the end:arghh:

Last edited: