Testing BG in toddlers

Bizzy-Bee

Hi all

I have had type 1 diabetes since 13 and now have a 2 year old. She isn’t showing signs of diabetes but I am mega paranoid all the time. She drinks a lot of water and urinates a lot but no more than her friends so I think this is normal in toddlers (she’s not potty trained).

Those of you who test BG in toddlers, can I use my adult blood tester to check her BG? I use the omnipod pump but have other testers which I used to use. I just want to check on her every now and then given the genetic risk of her developing T1D. Thank you!

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

I have had type 1 diabetes since 13 and now have a 2 year old. She isn’t showing signs of diabetes but I am mega paranoid all the time. She drinks a lot of water and urinates a lot but no more than her friends so I think this is normal in toddlers (she’s not potty trained).

Those of you who test BG in toddlers, can I use my adult blood tester to check her BG? I use the omnipod pump but have other testers which I used to use. I just want to check on her every now and then given the genetic risk of her developing T1D. Thank you!
Hi,

Our daughter was diagnosed at just over 2 years old. We use a standard accu chek finger picker and accu chek insight.

It's as accurate for her as it would be an adult.

Hope this helps.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a thought, but have you considered doing urine tests instead? Much less intrusive and she should start passing sugar once her bg goes over 10, which should still catch T1 early.... (This is what I used to do whenever I was feeling paranoid about my kids...)

Bizzy-Bee

Thanks both! That’s good to know that my tester will work and urine testing is a good idea! What urine tests to you use - ketosticks?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both! That’s good to know that my tester will work and urine testing is a good idea! What urine tests to you use - ketosticks?

Your ketosticks would probably be fine, depending on what else they test for. I have something like these, which test for a range of stuff. I tend to pick up the 10 test variants:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-c...ests-general-health-tests/foiled-strip-tests/

They'll show glucose, ketones and other health markers. I picked mine up when I was struggling to get rid of a stubborn UTI and wanted to be able to test myself when I felt any symptoms come on, rather than let it get a hold.

I'd suggest not buying a large quantity as once opened the strips don't "last" too long. The tubs are better for "lasting" than the foil packs, but then you're usually buying 100 tests, which could seem a bit OTT?

I have no relationship with that business, but have always found their service to be excellent.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Bizzy-Bee As one t1 mother to another, i'd leave the testing alone, yes i've also thought at times that mine could also develop this, it's natural to think like this, however having seen other mothers become paranoid about it then I fear if you start testing every now and again then it will only elevate your fears.

You know the symptoms of the onset of t1 and with that you are the expert at identifying if there is an issue, and also if you fear the urination and drinking is increasing then see your GP to rule out any other possible causes.