Experts warn of link between obesity and cancer in new report

DCUK NewsBot

Obesity is predicted to overtake smoking as the biggest preventable form of cancer in UK women within 25 years, experts suggest. Experts have warned that this link is more significant than researchers have previously thought, and have stressed for urgent action to be taken. The report is alarming, but it is important to note that obesity can be treated with diet and exercise. Eating a diet high in healthy, real foods and cutting out sugar can help with weight loss, reducing blood sugar levels and even putting type 2 diabetes into remission. Cancer Research UK reports that obesity increases the risk of 13 types of cancer, including kidney, breast and bowel. Within 17 years the charity predicts that around 23,000 cases of cancers in women could be caused by excess weight, with 25,000 cases caused by smoking. Cancer Research UK says that if the projected trends continue, obesity will overtake smoking by 2043 as a cause of cancer. In men, the gap between smoking and obesity as cancer causes is expected to close much later because men are more likely to smoke and get tobacco-related cancers, the charity said. "Obesity is a huge public health threat right now, and it will only get worse if nothing is done," said Professor Linda Bauld, Cancer Research UK's prevention expert. "The UK government must build on the lessons of smoking prevention to reduce the number of weight-related cancers by making it easier to keep a healthy weight and protect children, as those who are overweight are five times more likely to be so as an adult." The government has made several proposals to reduce obesity in the UK, including making it mandatory for restaurants to list their calorie content on their menus, and for restrictions on junk food advertising of all types. Prominent health experts are campaigning to combat the role of sugar in obesity, with Dr Aseem Malhotra, author of the Pioppi Diet, speaking in European Parliament earlier this year about how it is sugar, not fat, that is the culprit. On our award-winning Low Carb Program people with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes who complete the program sustainably lose an average of 7kg at the one year mark. The program has shown that obesity can be reversed, as can type 2 diabetes and people can transform their health by eating the right foods.

Continue reading...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The government has made several proposals to reduce obesity in the UK, including making it mandatory for restaurants to list their calorie content on their menus, and for restrictions on junk food advertising of all types.

The Government should stick to what they are good at (like completely ******* up BREXIT) rather than getting involved in stuff that they clearly know nothing about.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012 at a time when I wasn't obese. In fact, none of the ladies in my group were obese. I became borderline obese during the period of my treatment probably due to the foods and drinks we were recommended to eat to stave off chemo side effects. Bananas, honey, ice cream, cranberry juice, and Lucozade being some of them. One year after diagnosis I was diagnosed with T2.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The overriding factor in smoking cessation was the hike in costs. What does the government plan to do when it comes to food cost? Good luck with that one 'cos Big Food will fight back.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The overriding factor in smoking cessation was the hike in costs. What does the government plan to do when it comes to food cost? Good luck with that one 'cos Big Food will fight back.

They have introduced the sugar tax, for what it's worth. I can't see any taxes being introduced on spuds, bread, rice or pasta though!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
They have introduced the sugar tax, for what it's worth. I can't see any taxes being introduced on spuds, bread, rice or pasta though!

No, they'll have to use their next best thing (as they did with smoking) and that is stigma.

Reactions: Bluetit1802