Bleeding libre sensor

stuartlumsden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just put on my libre sensor and walked across the kitchen with blood spurting out my arm. Has anyone had this happen? If so is it safe to keep it on? Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Often bleeders are the best readers. As long as by 'spurting' you don't mean blood gushing out in large volumes in sync with your heartbeat I'd just wait and see how it does. Should it not work, leave it on until after calling Abbott's, they'll replace.

Reactions: stuartlumsden

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this happen once, I took it off immediately as there was a lot of blood dripping all down my arm (good job I have a laminate floor downstairs), I rang Abbott immediately - as it was still early enough in the evening , and they sorted out a replacement for me, I had a big bruise on my arm for absolutely ages and it hurt like a b****d for while.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I’ve had it once in eighteen months Libre use and it was quite scary at the time. Luckily the bleeding soon stopped; I presume it’s just (bad) luck of hitting a vein.

As others said, I left the sensor in and it worked fine (can’t remember it whether it was more accurate or not). I didn’t report it to Abbott because I saw a forum post about this!

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 1 in at the moment that was a bleeder, i put it in before bed and had it covered with a piece of tubigrip, in the morning there was a large blob of blood on the tubigrip and i could see where it had come through the middle of the sensor. I left it in and 8 days on it is still working v accurately, although i do have a massive bruise both sides of the sensor!! Keeping a close eye on it, a little worried it may come unstuck a little early!

stuartlumsden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had it once in eighteen months Libre use and it was quite scary at the time. Luckily the bleeding soon stopped; I presume it’s just (bad) luck of hitting a vein.

As others said, I left the sensor in and it worked fine (can’t remember it whether it was more accurate or not). I didn’t report it to Abbott because I saw a forum post about this!

I’ve left mine in and it seems to be working fine. Just dread seeing the mess it will leave behind haha

stuartlumsden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 1 in at the moment that was a bleeder, i put it in before bed and had it covered with a piece of tubigrip, in the morning there was a large blob of blood on the tubigrip and i could see where it had come through the middle of the sensor. I left it in and 8 days on it is still working v accurately, although i do have a massive bruise both sides of the sensor!! Keeping a close eye on it, a little worried it may come unstuck a little early!

Hopefully it doesn’t fall off for you! Mines is still on and working with no problems!

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had mine in for eight days now working fine no bruising or blood. Im just wondering as im new to this how do you remove it when you have to replace it?

Peel and pull away from the skin....

My first bleeder today but after reading everyones comments I feel better- hopefully it will be accurate

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Chris&Charli

In addition to @CranberryIce’s advice, you may need to get your fingernail under the edge of the sensor to begin peeling off the sensor. I find it much easy to remove mine in the shower, standing under hot water, trying to get the water to soak into the adhesive.

(I keep my sensor covered with a Tegaderm dressing, so it tends to stay firmly affixed for the full two weeks.)

sninge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dab some tea tree oil or baby oil around mine using a cotton bud and leave it a few mins and then i find it easier to pull off.

stuartlumsden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had mine in for eight days now working fine no bruising or blood. Im just wondering as im new to this how do you remove it when you have to replace it?

Apologies for late reply, just need to remove it like you normally do and use another one