Just started blood testing(type 2)

MikeEdwards

Ive been diagnosed type 2 for about a month now. It is fairly scarey to see how you affect your blood sugar levels by eating something that maybe you shouldnt have. I do try hard to stick to a good eating plan but sometimes feel annoyed and frustrated that i feel the need for something sweet.
I used to love chocolate and this habit probably got me into this in the first place.I'm hoping that as i go along i will get better at leaving this craving behind. I bought dark chocolate 7.4 content but this sent my sugars too high, 7.9, so i need to leave this alone too, a fairly sad recognition for someone who loved eating this.
I'm glad i can test my blood reading 7.9 was not nice, i hope it does the trick and puts me back on my 4.8 readings which i had when i didnt give in.
Im 58 but feel like a naughty boy sometimes! :roll:

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi Mike,

I'm new here too. I will tell you my opinion from what I have read, but don't take it as medical advice: I don't think that eating chocolate makes you diabetic, unless you already have that predisposition. I only eat chocolate when I am hypo and now that I AM diabetic, it certainly makes a big difference. I have seen sugarless chocolate sold at some places, and maybe that will help.

jaykay

How MUCH of the chocolate did you eat? Quite a few diabetics find they can have a little ( sometimes a very little ) of what they fancy without too much damage. A couple of squares maybe, instead of a whole bar. If not, the recipe for white chocolate roughy ( not chocolate exactly..) in the recipe section here is yummy. Or how about a nice cup of cocoa with sweetener and cream? I have that sometimes when I need a choccy hit. :D

anniep

Also try 85% chocolate, a lot of us find we can eat some of htis without affect our BG too much - Green and black do a nice one.

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,

I had 6 squares of Divine 85% Dark chocolate tonight after my evening meal, and two hours later i tested 5.5 so not too bad, ive seen 90% in tesco :D

Sue

MikeEdwards

Thanks for the information, i find it difficult to know exactly what to eat but im sure one day next century I'll get in right. I'll try that chocolate :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Lindt do a 90% cocoa solids chocolate which has 14g of carb per 100g. It is divided into 10 squares, so each square has 1.4g carb. Available at my nearest Tesco.

Don't eat too much of it, or you may be stuck in the loo next morning!

2 squares at a time is enough for me. You get a lot of chocolate for your buck with this one!

Viv 8)

anniep

I dind the lindt a bit bitter for my taste, but the cop-op also do a fair trade 85% AND they do it in small bars, just enough for one treat, coz if you're like me then once the bar is open............

RussG

M&S do a pack of ten small, wrapped squares of dark chocolate - each one is 5 ish grams of carbs. That's enough for me for a chocolatey taste and because they're individually wrapped, I can take one out and not end up eating the whole bar.

Also, depending on when you tested and how much you ate, 7.9 may not really be 'too high'. If that was after two hours, then I'd say it's allowable every now and then. If you're any lower than that after two hours, then all the better IMO.

My GP advised me that the harder 'very strict' control was for me to achieve, the more likely I would be to fall off the wagon and do so with style. He said an occasional treat helps the whole regime be a bit easier to live with. Depends on your willpower I suppose but worth considering.