Finding Out If T1, T2, Lada, 1.5,3 Or?? Plus Maintaining Weight And Energy Levels.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi, a fasting c-peptide may give you and your docs some more info regarding insulin production. Numbers above .88 usually mean insulin resistant, below .35 may lean towards low insulin production.
There is also a post meal c-peptide test, with different cutoffs.
@Canvaspic what is the unit of measurement for c-peptide please?

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
The two I had done came back as nmol/L. that was in a UK lab. The other common measurement is ng/mL , which is 3 times larger.
eg .5 nmol/L = 1.5ng/mL
hope that helps

Geoffno6

Im in a similar situation to you. I was diagnosed in July this year. I presented with type 2 symptoms but when i was admitted to hospital they said it was more likely type 1. They mentioned something about an antibody test. Seeing my consultant in a few weeks and hopefully more answers

Hi @SOPHIE2006 I hope you get some answers, it’s always a worry when you’re not sure what’s wrong.

Reactions: SOPHIE2006

Geoffno6

@Geoffno6 @Diakat yes, below 1 is negative - the way antibody production in the human body works is that even the healthiest of healthy might have one or 2 floating around. In healthy individuals, most of them get nuked in the thymus, but a few slip through the net. For whatever reason, the nuking of these particular ones stops in T1s. You're also IAA2 negative according to those results, which are the two most commonly associated antibodies with T1. They can also test for ZnT8, but my understanding is that it isn't routinely done. Antibody production is a very confusing and messy subject, principally because there hasn't been much research done until fairly recently, and it's tricky to research - one of the reasons we hear about all these amazing studies in mice that don't then transfer to humans is that the mouse immune system is more different to that of humans than you might think.

Your c-peptide value suggests that you are making plenty of insulin - the c-peptide is a bit of protein that is produced when insulin is cleaved from its pre-cursor molecule pro-insulin, and secreted in equal amounts with insulin, so it tells you roughly how much insulin you are making, there or thereabouts.

Obviously I am in no way shape or form a medical doctor, but I would be inclined to agree with you that those results would seem to suggest T2.

Thanks for the reply @EllsKBells