What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what I am being told I will have to have to drop my blood sugar down from what it is to a normal level. The doctors seem to think I cannot do it myself. They want me to have injections to bring down the blood sugar fast then wait and see.
hope they come down quick for you andy ;)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy_Annom, I'm tagging @daisy1 to post the general welcome post because it contains information about eating low carb which is helping many of us here get lower blood sugar levels.

I've never heard anything about blue-green algae. I'm usually skeptical of claims about a single food/supplement helping diabetes (especially if it is being promoted by sellers of that supplement.)

There are lots of choices to eat, not just salads (although salads are usually fine, not potato or pasta salad though. Fruit salads are also not good as most fruit is high in sugar.) Essentially you eliminate potatoes, all grains (breads, cereals, pasta, rice, oatmeal, beer which is derived from barley etc.), dried beans (green beans are OK), and tropical fruits (bananas, pineapple etc.) and eat foods lower in carbohydrates. Are you eating any of these foods for breakfast? What type of dressing are you using in the salads? If the salad dressing is not homemade have you checked the nutritional labels for sugar & carbs? (Mayo is usually ok.) If you are making homemade dressing are you using balsamic vinegar? (check the label, some have sugar in them.) These are just a few suggestions that immediately come to mind.

Foods you can have are most above ground vegetables, meat, cheese, fish, nuts. Be careful with fruit as it is naturally high in sugar (raspberries and strawberries are the best to eat.)

www.dietdoctor.com is a great source of information on low carb eating. I especially find the visual guides of food helpful along with the recipes. (Although this site is not specifically for diabetics, it does have information on diabetes.)

Do you have a blood glucose meter? (It's really important to use it to determine what foods raise your blood sugar.) You can test a food you suspect maybe raising your blood sugar with a glucose meter right before eating and 2 hours after. If you get a blood glucose rise of more than 2.0, you know that food is not for you. (There is a bit of individual variation so testing is helpful.)

I hope this helps. BTW, stress also raises blood glucose levels. Hugs to you, I hope you have better times ahead.

Last edited:

Andy-Annom

Thanks guys for the info.
What I have been eating since last Thursday is, chicken, ham, cheese, and plain salads, no dressings of any kind.
I do not eat white bread just brown wholemeal (with seeds).

You guys have been great, and hopefully as we will see, my blood sugar will drop to where it should be.

Reactions: Prem51 and geefull

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys for the info.
What I have been eating since last Thursday is, chicken, ham, cheese, and plain salads, no dressings of any kind.
I do not eat white bread just brown wholemeal (with seeds).

You guys have been great, and hopefully as we will see, my blood sugar will drop to where it should be.

It sounds to me like your diet has been just fine (except for the brown wholemeal with seeds. Yes, it's a bit better than white bread but the extra fibre isn't usually enough to prevent its effect on raising blood glucose. Except for that, it sounds to be like you are eating low carb. You could test whether or not wholemeal spikes your blood glucose by eating the same meal with and without the wholemeal and testing before and 2 hours after and comparing the 2 post meal readings. Most of us find it does spike our levels although some people's bodies can manage it.

It does take a while for blood glucose levels to drop (it's never as fast as we'd like) but they are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi everyone haven’t had a minute today between diabetes clinic and therapy for my anxiety at diabetes clinic I was told 4.0-5.0 is to tight for now as my dr wants my hypo awareness back so I have been reduced from 12 units in the morning to 10 units as she wants me around 6.0 in the morning. I also got a freestyle libre I was terrified to put it on but no pain at all :D also I’m getting a phone for my birthday next week does anyone know if the Samsung phones are compatible with the libre?

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi everyone haven’t had a minute today between diabetes clinic and therapy for my anxiety at diabetes clinic I was told 4.0-5.0 is to tight for now as my dr wants my hypo awareness back so I have been reduced from 12 units in the morning to 10 units as she wants me around 6.0 in the morning. I also got a freestyle liber I was terrified to put it on but no pain at all :D also I’m getting a phone for my birthday next week does anyone know if the Samsung phones are compatible with the libre?

Here is a link.
https://www.freestyle.abbott/ie/en/libre/compatibility-guide.html

Reactions: ianpspurs

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?
5.8 as a T1 today

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ice?! Emma, where are you located?

Here in Toronto Canada, we've had an unusually hot summer and fall is late coming and has been very warm, hot some days. We are finally are starting to get more typical temperatures, it's a high of 21C today (69 in the old fahrenheit) . I was wearing shorts last week which is unusual in mid Sept. The leaves are quite late turning pretty fall colours (like my avatar which I took several years ago) because the colours need cool nights. (They have fall colour reports because the fall colours are a tourist attraction.)
I’m in the midlands in the U.K. and I’m sure my extremely thin, barely there layer of ice is nothing in comparison to a Canadian winter :) I’m just a very disorganised always running late on the school run mom so even the smallest amount just seems like stress in the morning

Reactions: DJC3

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in the midlands in the U.K. and I’m sure my extremely thin, barely there layer of ice is nothing in comparison to a Canadian winter :) I’m just a very disorganised always running late on the school run mom so even the smallest amount just seems like stress in the morning

I understand - scraping ice off of windshields is a major pain. Ice usually isn't too bad here in southern Ontario (depends on the winter, we did get 2 major ice storms last winter but that's unusual here). BTW, the Great Lakes moderate our winters and we have warmer/milder ones than most of Canada (with the exception of the BC, they get rain, rarely snow) and a lot of the northern inland/continental US. My mom's American family from Iowa couldn't believe our winters were less cold than theirs because of this moderating effect.

Reactions: DJC3 and Emma_369

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone haven’t had a minute today between diabetes clinic and therapy for my anxiety at diabetes clinic I was told 4.0-5.0 is to tight for now as my dr wants my hypo awareness back so I have been reduced from 12 units in the morning to 10 units as she wants me around 6.0 in the morning. I also got a freestyle liber I was terrified to put it on but no pain at all :D also I’m getting a phone for my birthday next week does anyone know if the Samsung phones are compatible with the libre?
Hope you get your awareness back, lost mine a few years ago tried running bloods higher but to no avail, consultant told me it won't return due to length of time I've been type 1.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning! for Hump Day:

upload_2018-9-26_0-16-57.jpeg
Seems this is the name of a real place somewhere called Glenbeigh.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Wednesday everyone
5.2 this morning happy with that after beef stifado dinner yesterday which had a fair bit of onion in it.
Another day of island walking and exploring and swimming planned - there’s a local wind up today but think it’s a hot and dry one no rain in forecast seems its common in the summer. Can hear the sea on the beach from room - lovely relaxing sound. Thinking of those working today.

Last edited: