Type 2 What educaton courses have you been offered and did you take them up?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in August 2011. I have never been offered a course. I wouldn't even know they existed if it wasn't for this forum.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in August 2011. I have never been offered a course. I wouldn't even know they existed if it wasn't for this forum.
I've also never been offered a course and glad as I would rather not waste NHS funds on something likely to be of limited help.

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed April this year with T2, took me 2 months to find out about Diabetic Clinic Education. Although delayed initially I found it an invaluable experience and education. First session is a drop in, followed up by two further scheduled appointments.
The NHS is a great service when you're in the system and I don't appreciate what's happening to our health service in this country.

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
Down in rural Gloucestershire, they run three courses:
Diabetes and You, Food and You and Insulin and You.

'Diabetes and You' is voluntary, but is 'Highly Recommended (or else)' by TPTB.
It is a primer on the mechanics of Diabetes: What it is, does, what to eat to make best use of your suffering, what you can die of etc.
Learnt- I must have breakfast (Useless, I can't face breakfast at 5AM when I get up for work) and I probably shouldn't pour condensed milk on my bedtime porridge anymore.
Value- 'Better informed, but no wiser.'

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Learnt- I must have breakfast (Useless, I can't face breakfast at 5AM when I get up for work) and I probably shouldn't pour condensed milk on my bedtime porridge anymore.

Why must you have breakfast? Did they say? No condensed milk is excellent advice, but porridge at bedtime is also not to be recommended. Or are you injecting insulin?

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
Why must you have breakfast? Did they say? No condensed milk is excellent advice, but porridge at bedtime is also not to be recommended. Or are you injecting insulin?
For much the same reason I have porridge at night- help pull down my readings. I know from experience, if I don't have supper, then my morning sugar level is over 8, with it, then generally in the low 6's.

What they fail to take into account (others too), is that the twelve hours between getting up and getting home, eating, at best, is a sandwich and a packet of crisps. So supper is my second meal of the day.

And I have been a good boy. I've stopped the milk.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
porridge, sandwiches and crisps are all likely to spike most diabetics.

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
Don't appear to have a problem with porridge.
Besides, they've had the sugar from my tea, the bread from my squidge, and I don't drink. It is my last comfort food, one that I know is not going to block by colostomy. Nobody mention nuts!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't appear to have a problem with porridge.
Besides, they've had the sugar from my tea, the bread from my squidge, and I don't drink. It is my last comfort food, one that I know is not going to block by colostomy. Nobody mention nuts!

Porridge is a funny one, but very high in carbs. As you eat it before bed I expect you haven't tested before and 1 hour, 90 minutes, 2 hours and half hourly afterwards as necessary. I can't find any science that says porridge or anything carb heavy at night will lower fasting levels.

Raygower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors
Porridge is a funny one, but very high in carbs. As you eat it before bed I expect you haven't tested before and 1 hour, 90 minutes, 2 hours and half hourly afterwards as necessary. I can't find any science that says porridge or anything carb heavy at night will lower fasting levels.
Porridge is also very high in fibre, which is essential to me for more pressing reasons.
Too new to Diabetes to argue the science of carbs, only offer the results I get.
Nor am I analy retentative enough to test every few minutes, but the sugar peaks about 1.5 somewhere between two and three hours.
Fasting as I understand it is an extended period before eating- So five to six hours i.e. overnight, I get a lower figure than I started with. 10 hours is usually lower still, 12 hours can get worryingly high and 15 hours can get low enough to be mildly concerning, at least during the working week, making me think external factors are more significant than my midnight eating habits.