Regular moderate exercise log

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10k steps and a couple of 10min intensive squats and core exercise sessions.

Mr C was in the garden lastnight having a sneaky cig and he said he could see me making strange shadow puppets through the closed blinds - he wondered what on earth I was doing til it dawned on him it was my evening exercise routine!

Reactions: RuthW and kev-w

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Leg much better today. Enjoyed a couple of short walks along the Regent’s Canal in the sunshine on the way to and from work meetings, totted up 12,132 steps. Swerved swimming given problems on Friday and hopefully further improvement tomorrow.
Oh I love the Regent’s Canal. I used to cycle from Islington to the park every weeken with my son (and the zoo sometimes, which he loved) when he was small. And for a couple of years I used to cycle the other direction to work in Whitechapel. In the winter there’d be herons and the like on the ice.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m finishing the week on my bike at 80 miles. I was hit by a car last week, and it has slowed me down. Need a new TT bike as result, and road riding vibration is painful. Fractured pelvis is what I have, but the leg that was smashed by the car REALLY, REALLY hurts.

My pump was destroyed in the accident. Medtronic sent me a 90 backup. Monday I meet with a pump trainer to discuss a new one. Not excited about having to change pumps.
Your pelvis and leg were smashed and it has only ‘slowed you down’? Are you Superman?

Reactions: Geoffno6

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I love the Regent’s Canal. I used to cycle from Islington to the park every weeken with my son (and the zoo sometimes, which he loved) when he was small. And for a couple of years I used to cycle the other direction to work in Whitechapel. In the winter there’d be herons and the like on the ice.

I was on the section between Haggerston heading towards Islington. Becoming very trendy with lots of little cafes, bars and restaurants. A bit crowded. The Limehouse Cut is a lot more peaceful.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing much to report. Still taking care of leg and just ticking over. 8.5k steps today. If sunshine continues tomorrow may try stepping it up again.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A small swim for me with child, about 30 lengths various strokes and splashing and stuff :)

Fun tho.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10k steps and the couple of 10min bursts of squats, lunges and core exercises. Another 10min due before bedtime.

@Goonergal I thought of you today when reading a newspaper article about runners’ techniques causing injuries such as achilles tendinopathy and shin splints, it was something to do with side to side pelvis drop. The study was from the university of Salford and published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine but I haven’t searched for it in full.
I wondered if the fact you have been walking so much, and if you happened to have one of these ‘common biomechanical patterns’ whether it might have a similar result as for these runners that were studied.

Reactions: ickihun and kev-w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10k steps and the couple of 10min bursts of squats, lunges and core exercises. Another 10min due before bedtime.

@Goonergal I thought of you today when reading a newspaper article about runners’ techniques causing injuries such as achilles tendinopathy and shin splints, it was something to do with side to side pelvis drop. The study was from the university of Salford and published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine but I haven’t searched for it in full.
I wondered if the fact you have been walking so much, and if you happened to have one of these ‘common biomechanical patterns’ whether it might have a similar result as for these runners that were studied.

Thanks @DJC3 there are definitely issues with my gait, but not sure how to fix it. Need to find an osteopath. The one recommended to me isn’t practising at the moment so on the hunt.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Walked out early yesterday but sat longer with lunch but was able to walk the afternoon school run.
Still not able to power myself on an incline without pushing myself off with crutch. MSK may not be happy. Also dizziness is at its worst at mo so need a blood pressure check but seeing 800cals dietician again on Monday as may be lack of salt or need blood pressure meds reducing.
Form filling and telephone calls all day today as urgent now.
Tomorrow is a walking planned day. Sat too with swimming/walking Sunday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 there are definitely issues with my gait, but not sure how to fix it. Need to find an osteopath. The one recommended to me isn’t practising at the moment so on the hunt.

Can the diabetes podiatrist refer you to a gait clinic I wonder? I didnt know such a thing existed but last time I went, the podiatrist said he would refer me simply because of some hard skin on my feet.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm told I waddle like a duck as far as it goes, I'd say I don't but anyway :)....

1150m Breaststroke & 50m crawl in 30.11 non stop then into the gym to do legs, I only did 2 light sets of squats as my left knee was complaining but I did loads of sets of single leg extensions as a workround then a leg press machine, leg curls and calf raises and warmed down with 5 minutes on a rower,

Tired now....

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I'm told I waddle like a duck as far as it goes, I'd say I don't but anyway :)....

1150m Breaststroke & 50m crawl in 30.11 non stop then into the gym to do legs, I only did 2 light sets of squats as my left knee was complaining but I did loads of sets of single leg extensions as a workround then a leg press machine, leg curls and calf raises and warmed down with 5 minutes on a rower,

Tired now....
God that sounds like a lot!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can the diabetes podiatrist refer you to a gait clinic I wonder? I didnt know such a thing existed but last time I went, the podiatrist said he would refer me simply because of some hard skin on my feet.

I’ve never seen a diabetes podiatrist. Will see if there is one at the surgery.

Leg is feeling much better and somehow got up to just over 20k steps today.

Will attempt swimming again at the weekend.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never seen a diabetes podiatrist. Will see if there is one at the surgery.

Leg is feeling much better and somehow got up to just over 20k steps today.

Will attempt swimming again at the weekend.

That’s interesting, my surgery aren’t v good at diabetes so it must be down to the local Health Authority, but all diabetics get called for podiatry appt every 6 months in my borough.
I’d say it was definitely worth nagging them about

Well done for the step count - don’t know how you manage it with working too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s interesting, my surgery aren’t v good at diabetes so it must be down to the local Health Authority, but all diabetics get called for podiatry appt every 6 months in my borough.
I’d say it was definitely worth nagging them about

Well done for the step count - don’t know how you manage it with working too.

Will definitely check out. Build the walking around my day - off train a stop early this morning and then walked the longer way to,the office from there, took long route to a post-lunch meeting (lapping up the sun), on the way home took train to station a bit further away and took the scenic route to and from Waitrose. The rest is just general moving around.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
God that sounds like a lot!!!

It perhaps reads that way :) but really it's some aerobics before a weights session, weights of course being anaerobic, if I'm 'just' swimming I'd swim faster, longer or try to at least :p and same with the weights if I'm not swimming I'd train heavier.

It does help that the local sports centre is less than 5 minutes walk from me and I work in the locality..

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now term's well and truly underway I am congratulating myself on getting well ahead with my walking targets! Also on getting more general physical activity in during the course of the day.

Having clearly established I am as fast, if not faster, walking than getting any variation of the "improved" bus routes, I'm definitely going down the line of walking as much as possible on the commute, but getting a bus if it appears at an opportune moment when I am by a bus stop!

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoffno6 and kev-w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feel like Idle Jack'z indolent brother reading other people's posts. Forgot to put pedometer on first thing so missed steps up to 11.30 still made 10k so probs about 12.5. Physio basically said ignore naysayers and go ahead with all types of exercises, weights etc no probs. Argues other Drs being over cautious . Colour me confused.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
12k steps for me today and 1/2 hr of the squats and core type exercises broken up into bite size 10 min sessions.
Bgs still rising though.