Minimed 640g at the Dentist

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all , I’m hoping someone can offer their advice or experiences. Are you able to wear your pump for a standard dentist check up and hygienist appointment?

I’m not going to be having an X-ray taken but in the room they have the X-ray machine which they pull over you in the chair. On the door it states ‘radiation risk’ so I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you all :)

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
I have an Insight pump and have always removed my pumps during x-rays just in case. The assistant usually leaves the room with my pump then returns it after x-rays have been taken. It's a drag and I hate doing it but would hate for my pump to be at risk

Reactions: kitedoc

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the 640G and would always remove my pump for any X-Ray, as we are told to do so.

Reactions: kitedoc

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For an XRay to impact your pump then your pump needs to be in the XRay itself, having a tooth Xray'd unless you keep your pump in your mouth or next to your jaw would have no impact :). When I first went on a pump I was told by the pump rep that for dentistry it was fine to keep wearing it as long as it was not in my mouth.

At the end of the day you need to look after your own pump and do as you feel is right.

Last edited:

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Normally the dentist puts a cover over you for an X-ray. The dental X-rays are very weak and very focussed, they don't even need lead lining on the walls. I wouldn't have an issue, but just to be safe I would disconnect it and give it the dentist before an X-ray. For a normal medical X-ray, I would leave the pump outside . A Dr google search said a dental X-ray is the same as a 1 -2 hr plane flight. For all other dental procedures no issue.