More questions about pumping with Medtronic

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following the info meeting last week, the DSN will ring me tomorrow to confirm I wish to proceed and my choice of pump. I've decided on the Medtronic Veo.

Do people find their hypo symptoms change when they start pumping? If so, does this happen if you're on the same short-acting insulin you used to inject?

Is the Bayer Contour Link meter (with wireless link to the pump) a significant advantage? It's a lot bigger than my trusty Freestyle Lite. Remembering my last meter change, I don't fancy the stress of getting my GP to correctly change my prescription, but if necessary I'll face that. If I'm going to change though I'm attracted to something like the OneTouch Ultra Easy which is small, neat and brightly coloured - much like myself :wink: - unless the wireless link makes a big difference.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi and good choice dylan loves his veo :D

he has not mentioned feeling different more that he recognises them more often now being better in control and he is using rapid like he used for MDI.

we dont have a link altho one has been ordered for us just waiting for it so cant comment on how useful it is, but i cant see any problems in not using it if u dont want to we have found the veo easy to use and dylan does it mostly by himself

anna marie

ZACNEMMA

Hi,
Medtronic-good choice. Zac has been pumping for just 4 weeks but I know he would never give it up, he is doing just great.
Hypo's; Zac is 15 and verbalises his hypo experiences well. He has this to say... 'hypos when I am injecting can be quite aggresive and you feel the energy draining rapidly and know you are in trouble' 'with the pump you are still very aware of a hypo but it is more of a gentle Lo, obviously needs treating immediately but you don't feel that overwhelming drain'.
I would add that you don't need to follow your fast acting glucose with a carby snack, unless of course your going to bolus.
Emma

spideog

Have only been pumping a couple of weeks and I wasn't sure if the hypo symptoms were different or if I was imagining it. That explanation of them coming on less suddenly makes sense though and could explain why I've felt as if they have been sneaking up on me a bit.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
LittleSue said:
Following the info meeting last week, the DSN will ring me tomorrow to confirm I wish to proceed and my choice of pump. I've decided on the Medtronic Veo.

Do people find their hypo symptoms change when they start pumping? If so, does this happen if you're on the same short-acting insulin you used to inject?

Is the Bayer Contour Link meter (with wireless link to the pump) a significant advantage? It's a lot bigger than my trusty Freestyle Lite. Remembering my last meter change, I don't fancy the stress of getting my GP to correctly change my prescription, but if necessary I'll face that. If I'm going to change though I'm attracted to something like the OneTouch Ultra Easy which is small, neat and brightly coloured - much like myself :wink: - unless the wireless link makes a big difference.

Hi,

I've not found my hypo's are any different really. Mine are usually very mild as i usually catch them in the high 3's.

My hypo's are only bad really if i wake up with one or have one due to exercise, but still they are tolerable and easily treated. But i find with the pump they are eventually becoming less frequent too :)

I don't use the Veo, i use the accu-chek combo which has a 'remote' meter which i find is brilliant as you can keep your pump tucked away and just use the remote device for bolus advice and changing your basal rates, it's quite bulky too but i'll sacrifice that for the things it does :)

I'm afraid you'll probably have to change a few things on your prescription, as you may need to change the insulin pens you use as you will need a medium long acting insulin for your 'back up' and you will need to add insulin vials, and it's necessary you can use blood strips for ketone testing as with the pump ketones can rise quickly as you are only using fast acting insulin.

I simply wrote a list of all things i would need and how many per month, made a doctors appointment and made sure it was correct all at once it took a whole ten mins and was easy peasy.

When my nurse originally faxed over a list of what needed to go on my prescription they added on the different insulin pens i would need but TOOK OFF the insulin pens i needed to use for another 4 weeks! and it took 4 phone calls to 3 different people to get it back on! so i thought easier to do it in person so i knew it was all sorted :)

You may also want to keep your freestyle lite for a back up meter and keep the strips on prescription but reduce the strips to 50. This way you have a back up meter if you do decide to use the meter that comes with your pump.

My back up meter is the one touch ultra in pink :wink: very pretty. But not as useful as the meter that comes with my pump!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ZACNEMMA said:
Hi,
Medtronic-good choice. Zac has been pumping for just 4 weeks but I know he would never give it up, he is doing just great.
Hypo's; Zac is 15 and verbalises his hypo experiences well. He has this to say... 'hypos when I am injecting can be quite aggresive and you feel the energy draining rapidly and know you are in trouble' 'with the pump you are still very aware of a hypo but it is more of a gentle Lo, obviously needs treating immediately but you don't feel that overwhelming drain'.
I would add that you don't need to follow your fast acting glucose with a carby snack, unless of course your going to bolus.
Emma

Thanks Emma
Zac's comments reflect what I'd noticed on starting DAFNE - less intrusive and easier to correct. If pumping makes them even milder that's great. It was the actual symptoms I wondered about, but clearly as spidog says one has to beware of signs being generally more subtle.

Has Zac noticed any change to the ravenous hunger that makes you want to overeat when hypo? Not normally a big issue for me but just lately it's happened a few times.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ams162 said:
we dont have a link altho one has been ordered for us just waiting for it so cant comment on how useful it is, but i cant see any problems in not using it if u dont want to we have found the veo easy to use and dylan does it mostly by himself

anna marie

I thought I'd have to decide now whether I want the Contour Link, but from the website it appears you order it separately. Think I'll stick with my freestyle and see how I go. At least I know the Link exists so if I find entering the readings a bind (or keep forgetting) I can get the Link later. By then hopefully the essential prescription changes will be sorted and I can do the strip changes separately.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ebony321 said:
Hi,
I don't use the Veo, i use the accu-chek combo which has a 'remote' meter which i find is brilliant as you can keep your pump tucked away and just use the remote device for bolus advice and changing your basal rates, it's quite bulky too but i'll sacrifice that for the things it does :)

I'm afraid you'll probably have to change a few things on your prescription, as you may need to change the insulin pens you use as you will need a medium long acting insulin for your 'back up' and you will need to add insulin vials, and it's necessary you can use blood strips for ketone testing as with the pump ketones can rise quickly as you are only using fast acting insulin.

When my nurse originally faxed over a list of what needed to go on my prescription they added on the different insulin pens i would need but TOOK OFF the insulin pens i needed to use for another 4 weeks! and it took 4 phone calls to 3 different people to get it back on! so i thought easier to do it in person so i knew it was all sorted :)

You may also want to keep your freestyle lite for a back up meter and keep the strips on prescription but reduce the strips to 50. This way you have a back up meter if you do decide to use the meter that comes with your pump.

Thats like the hassle I had when I changed my meter before. I'd already decided to make an appt to sort out the changes essential for pumping when the time comes, but changing the meter seemed like adding an extra layer of hassle. I'd bet money on them reducing me to one pack of strips just when I need extra! I found before that having 2 different strips on my prescription meant they always gave me the wrong ones. It's an option, I suppose, but I'd be more comfortable with a spare meter that uses the same strips.

The combined meter and remote sounds the best solution really, but doesn't apply with the Veo. The DSNs suggested hardly anyone bothers with a remote. If I wore the pump in my bra (not likely, but you never know) I'd definitely want a remote!

Good point about the ketones, that suggests you need a meter that does ketones as well, or do you have a separate meter for ketones?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Thats like the hassle I had when I changed my meter before. I'd already decided to make an appt to sort out the changes essential for pumping when the time comes, but changing the meter seemed like adding an extra layer of hassle. I'd bet money on them reducing me to one pack of strips just when I need extra! I found before that having 2 different strips on my prescription meant they always gave me the wrong ones. It's an option, I suppose, but I'd be more comfortable with a spare meter that uses the same strips.

The combined meter and remote sounds the best solution really, but doesn't apply with the Veo. The DSNs suggested hardly anyone bothers with a remote. If I wore the pump in my bra (not likely, but you never know) I'd definitely want a remote!

Good point about the ketones, that suggests you need a meter that does ketones as well, or do you have a separate meter for ketones?[/quote]

You actuallay might want to ask to increase your test strips for a while as you will be doing more frequent testing especially in the beginning! in the first week i was testing around 10-15 times a day! sounds excessive but it sure helped!

I guess it all depends on the user, i like my pump to be safely tucked away and i use my remote much easier for me :)

I think there is only one meter which uses ketone blood test strips and thats the optimum Xceed. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong :)

It does sound a pain with all the different stuff you need, but it's all for the best and you get used to it pretty quick!

Once you decide which meter you want to use and get your prescription sorted most of the hassle is out the way!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
sue

u wont forget to add in the readings on the veo if u use the easy bolus button as it asks for ur meter reading then the carbs ur about to consume then works out the bolus u need based on ur ratios easy peasy :D so really wouldnt worry about the link i see from the website u can phone and order a free meter if u have a medtronic pump so that would suggest u could do that anytime should u change ur mind.

as for a meter for ketones i have an xceed meter for that i dont use it as a blood tester altho u can if u want to, but i have used it alot more since being on a pump so i would suggest u find one of those as its saved us when we had issues with bubbles in the tubing, we had a high reading that was so unexpected i tested ketones and he had 0.6 so primed bubbles from the tubbing and bolused so crisis diverted by being vigilant. i really would ask ur DSN about the Xceed before u get the pump if possible

anna marie

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ebony321 said:
You actuallay might want to ask to increase your test strips for a while as you will be doing more frequent testing especially in the beginning! in the first week i was testing around 10-15 times a day! sounds excessive but it sure helped!
I guess it all depends on the user, i like my pump to be safely tucked away and i use my remote much easier for me :)
I think there is only one meter which uses ketone blood test strips and thats the optimum Xceed. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong :)
It does sound a pain with all the different stuff you need, but it's all for the best and you get used to it pretty quick!
Once you decide which meter you want to use and get your prescription sorted most of the hassle is out the way!

I already get more strips per month than I usually use, so gradually building up a reserve supply. Will ask for extra each month though.

I think I'll just change meter etc as I go along, rather than make a change in advance and find it's not what I need after all.

A neck injury last year made my shoulders weak for months, so I cut down what I carried to the minimum. I'm stronger now, but more aware of what I carry. I could get 2 Optium meters, leave one at work so I don't carry it back and forth just for work. Leave the other at home on work days but take it with me elsewhere.

So much to think about!

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ams162 said:
sue

u wont forget to add in the readings on the veo if u use the easy bolus button as it asks for ur meter reading then the carbs ur about to consume then works out the bolus u need based on ur ratios easy peasy :D anna marie

Sounds good, I probably won't bother with the Contour Link in that case.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LittleSue said:
Sounds good, I probably won't bother with the Contour Link in that case.

Yeah my DSN asked me if I wanted the Contour Link but when she showed me the quick bolus button I decided not to go for it either. It's really not needed as it asks you to put in your BG and it's just so quick and easy on the pump!

I went for the Accu-Chek Mobile instead :) Nifty little thing, don't have to mess about putting testing strips in it anymore as it works on casettes. I can just whip it out anywhere now and quickly test even whilst walking! Don't have to find somekind of flat surface anymore like before ;)

Anyway, hope you will like your pump! When will you get it (if you haven't already got it in the meantime). I've had my Veo for almost a week now and already I would never want to go back to MDI anymore! It's just so easy. My basal and bolus doses still need tweaking but I have already noticed a massive difference in my levels :)

cjw

I would just like to add that I have the Contour Link but I also have a sensor which requires that meter. I have lost my hypo awareness so I am on the pump/sensor regime to help sort that out. If you need to have a a sensor then the Contour Link is excellent and though it is more to carry around than my old Freestyle Light it is worth it for the extra assistance as it transmits the BS level to the pump without having to type it in.

meela83

I use the contour and love it, yes it is bigger but worth it. I went back to my one touch for a while and was forgetting to enter the blood sugars that I tested when I wasn't eating a meal. When I got my pump you automatically got the contour in the box with a few strips, so I would probably order one and try it.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

Quick update - I'm still waiting for confirmation of funding approval. They said it takes 2-4 weeks and that was over 5 weeks ago. I'll ring the DSN who's handling it when she's back, on Wednesday.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi unfortunatly the road to a pump is a slow one but honestly its worth wait, the trouble is when u hear everyone raving about it it makes u want it even more and makes the wait even more unbearable, i hope u hear soon tho good luck

anna marie