What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think members here are definitely outliers in terms of knowledge and control of our condition. In terms of what I know of the general population it would not have surprised me at all if the DESMOND congregation did not know what type of diabetes they had. I have never been offered any of the courses nor would I ever have taken one. I am personally satisfied for my DN to confirm my weight and tell me what I already know from online records. I quite like the extra checks being classed as diabetic confer - eye screening etc so I am in no hurry to ever be classed as in remission or anything else. However, I agree the advice given at dx ranges from poor to harmful and needs to be sorted. I just have low expectations of many of my fellow coutrymen and women. I fully expect them to just want tablets/injections and be allowed to carry on as before.
As I said, by virtue of being here we self identify as far from the norm. Taking control of one's health and wellbeing in not a British trait IMHO. You can never underestimate the intelligence of the general public. In an age dominated by "the market" we get what the lowest common denominator can stand - no interference with how they want to live - just treatment to mitigate effects for a while. The cost is the advice and courses people here complain about.
I am not saying don't cast your pearls among swine, just don't be surprised if not everyone is as receptive as members here. Could be TLDR

Ian I disagree with much of what you say here...why on earth would you have such low expectations of your fellow countrymen...or women... 'fully expect them to want tablets/injections and just carry on as before'...for me that implies an element of self infliction...an 'I'm alright mate' scenario has never sat well with me...the fact is having been a recipient of a Desmond Course I can assure you the whole group were aware it was a course designed for T2's...that's what it said on the 'label' for type 2 diabetics...I don't consider myself any different or more intelligent than those diabetics who are not members of this or any other forum...the fact is the advice we are given is shockingly poor...many T2's are actively advised not to SMBG...those that wish to are often denied the necessary equipment... the eat well plate is heavily promoted...we are directed to charities for advice & assistance...there is a general public assumption T2 is self inflicted...every T2 is overweight...lazy...brought it on themselves...a popular myth trolled out by the media time after time...we are often identified as the impending cause of possible NHS bankruptcy... a condition that can lead to such dire consequences is treated so casually is a shameful indictment of how many of us are viewed by the uninformed...the ill informed...it's not the cost of the courses we should be concerned about it's the quality...the efficacy for the attendees...as for ' the market' I would say a laissez fare attitude is not applicable nor appropriate here...how much do these useless courses cost...many of the educators are DSN's...health care professionals...yet the advise they give is shamefully inadequate...downright misleading...what price the CCG's...the HCP's who make no or little effort...that what we should be questioning...diabetes is big business & there's a lot of money to be made from it...the least we should expect is value for money a good return on such a large investment

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian I disagree with much of what you say here...why on earth would you have such low expectations of your fellow countrymen...or women... 'fully expect them to want tablets/injections and just carry on as before'...for me that implies an element of self infliction...an 'I'm alright mate' scenario has never sat well with me...the fact is having been a recipient of a Desmond Course I can assure you the whole group were aware it was a course designed for T2's...that's what it said on the 'label' for type 2 diabetics...I don't consider myself any different or more intelligent than those diabetics who are not members of this or any other forum...the fact is the advice we are given is shockingly poor...many T2's are actively advised not to SMBG...those that wish to are often denied the necessary equipment... the eat well plate is heavily promoted...we are directed to charities for advice & assistance...there is a general public assumption T2 is self inflicted...every T2 is overweight...lazy...brought it on themselves...a popular myth trolled out by the media time after time...we are often identified as the impending cause of possible NHS bankruptcy... a condition that can lead to such dire consequences is treated so casually is a shameful indictment of how many of us are viewed by the uninformed...the ill informed...it's not the cost of the courses we should be concerned about it's the quality...the efficacy for the attendees...as for ' the market' I would say a laissez fare attitude is not applicable nor appropriate here...how much do these useless courses cost...many of the educators are DSN's...health care professionals...yet the advise they give is shamefully inadequate...downright misleading...what price the CCG's...the HCP's who make no or little effort...that what we should be questioning...diabetes is big business & there's a lot of money to be made from it...the least we should expect is value for money a good return on such a large investment
@Bubbsie I don't think I ever implied T2 was people's just deserts or I'm alright mate but there. I have what I consider to be very poor control and limited knowledge yet my DN tells me she wishes others took their own care as seriously. From that and the fact that this site only has a tiny fraction of the diabetics in this country I conclude the majority do not take such an active part in their management as we do. I don't feel that the current advice or help are at all adequate but I do feel we have created for ourselves a culture where we expect everything to be treated/cured by someone else. The Dr will give tablets and I can carry on is not an uncommon attitude.
I am not looking to censure anyone or disagree, especially about the need to improve the standard of advice offered. Quite happy to delete posts or leave the forum. I fully agree with your unhappiness about the current advice and courses but also accept it is the logical endpoint of recent history. Nudge theory and spreadsheet medicine. Now, as for people like yourself and others as change agents - there is some hope.

Last edited:

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: the poor quality of diabetes "education" for Type 2
Although there are and will be a certain % of people who will not make changes in their diet, despite knowing the consequences*, I think that everyone should be given the knowledge to make the choice which most are not today. (@ianpspurs I know you'd also like better education. You raised any interesting point about what to do about people who have no desire to anything about their health. These people sadly do exist everywhere, including Canada.)

Most people today are not given the choice as they are advised to eat lots of "healthy" whole grains/"complex carbohydrates" and high carb foods. (The courses are similar here - Ontario Canada.) Many of these people believe the erroneous information they've been told and mistakenly think that they are doing the right thing for their diabetes. Most people do not know that carbs are composed of long chains of sugar and when digested, have the same effort on blood glucose as sugar (or worse, depending on the particular carb.)

My best friend who was diagnosed 1 1/2 years before me with the very high hb1ac of 26% went to one of these courses, was given multiple meds and followed their advice. (She was given a booklet about "healthy eating" for Type 2s sponsored by the Canadian Wheat Marketing Board! ) Following their suggestions (1/4 plate carbs), she could not get her glucose levels below 9. She then found low carb eating. She now has levels usually below 5, has discontinued all the meds except for a very small amount of insulin at bedtime for dawn phenomena. Her family doctor (who is also my doctor) is thrilled. The same doctor told me to reduce my carbs to get my blood levels down. The doctor also did not send me to one of these courses (unlike she had earlier with my friend.)

*I'm not sure what you do about those who know the consequences of eating foods that will spike their blood sugar but continue anyway.

I know several people with Type 2 in this category. For example, a couple both with Type 2. The husband from the beginning has refused to modify his diet at all and stopped testing his blood early on. His wife did eat low carb for a while but now has stopped trying to reduce carbs. Neither of them ever tests their blood now (she did), they are content to get a hb1ac every 3 months and they get med increases and new meds. :( It's sad.

I also know someone who refused to change his diet and had uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes for over 10 years with failing kidneys. He was saved recently by a kidney transplant and has finally decided to change his diet after getting a new kidney.

Although I believe meds can slow down the progression of Type 2 (not all people with Type 2n need them) relying on them alone and continuing to eat foods that spike your blood glucose will not stop the disease from progressing and causing complications. You need to change the diet, that is key with Type 2 diabetes.*

edited to add:
I realize not everyone gets complete control. There are other factors than can affect one's diabetes and it's progression (ie. length of time one has had diabetes, how advanced it was when diagnosed, other medical conditions, meds taken for other conditions etc.)

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie I don't think I ever implied T2 was people's just deserts or I'm alright mate but there. I have what I consider to be very poor control and limited knowledge yet my DN tells me she wishes others took their own care as seriously. From that and the fact that this site has a tiny fraction of the diabetics in this country I conclude the majority do not take such an active part in their management as we do. I don't feel that the current advice or help are at all adequate but I do feel we have created for ourselves a culture where we expect everything to be treated/cured by someone else. I am not looking to censure anyone or disagree about the need to improve the standard of advice offered. Quite happy to delete posts or leave the forum.
Lack of basic knowledge among diabetics & many of their health care teams is to a large extent responsible for the myths & misconceptions in type2 diabetes management Ian...Many DSN's & other HCP's make those comments 'if others took their care as seriously' that is shifting the responsibility without acknowledging how little accurate information/advice/support we are given...I speak from experience...I have friends who several years post diagnosis had no idea what an HbA1c test was...they had never heard of LCHF...or alternative diets...they were advised not to test...to rely on the bi-annual or annual HbA1c test...some were advised they would progress to insulin anyway & complications would follow... they took their GP/DSN's advice...after all those HCP's would want what's best for them surely...we need to question the vast amount of money that is wasted in failing diabetes education...a more positive approach would be beneficial...convincing T2's they could make improvement in their diabetes management...achieve good control that would avoid or delay complications...we have to address the lack of care overall...I am not a medic...I therefore need to be treated by my GP...we all need a cure...I feel confident I can manage my diabetes...others may not be so confident or effective...they need support not judgement as given by your DSN...I work in a profession which is publicly funded...every year I have to complete continuing professional education...be assessed...demonstrate I know what I am doing...surely that's not too much to ask of our HCP's...why you feel I would want you to delete your post or leave the forum I have no idea...there are bound to be opposing views in any forum...a robust discussion very often opens doors & should be encouraged.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: the poor quality of diabetes "education" for Type 2
Although there are and will be a certain % of people who will not make changes in their diet, despite knowing the consequences*, I think that everyone should be given the knowledge to make the choice which most are not today. (@ianpspurs I know you'd also like better education. You raised any interesting point about what to do about people who have no desire to anything about their health. These people sadly do exist everywhere, including Canada.)

Most people today are not given the choice as they are advised to eat lots of "healthy" whole grains/"complex carbohydrates" and high carb foods. (The courses are similar here - Ontario Canada.) Many of these people believe the erroneous information they've been told and mistakenly think that they are doing the right thing for their diabetes. Most people do not know that carbs are composed of long chains of sugar and when digested, have the same effort on blood glucose as sugar (or worse, depending on the particular carb.)

My best friend who was diagnosed 1 1/2 years before me with the very high hb1ac of 26% went to one of these courses, was given multiple meds and followed their advice. (She was given a booklet about "healthy eating" for Type 2s sponsored by the Canadian Wheat Marketing Board! ) Following their suggestions (1/4 plate carbs), she could not get her glucose levels below 9. She then found low carb eating. She now has levels usually below 5, has discontinued all the meds except for a very small amount of insulin at bedtime for dawn phenomena. Her family doctor (who is also my doctor) is thrilled. The same doctor told me to reduce my carbs to get my blood levels down. The doctor also did not send me to one of these courses (unlike she had earlier with my friend.)

*I'm not sure what you do about those who know the consequences of eating foods that will spike their blood sugar but continue anyway.

I know several people with Type 2 in this category. For example, a couple both with Type 2. The husband from the beginning has refused to modify his diet at all and stopped testing his blood early on. His wife did eat low carb for a while but now has stopped trying to reduce carbs. Neither of them ever tests their blood now (she did), they are content to get a hb1ac every 3 months and they get med increases and new meds. :( It's sad.

I also know someone who refused to change his diet and had uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes for over 10 years with failing kidneys. He was saved recently by a kidney transplant and has finally decided to change his diet after getting a new kidney.

Although I believe meds can slow down the progression of Type 2 (not all people with Type 2n need them) relying on them alone and continuing to eat foods that spike your blood glucose will not stop the disease from progressing and causing complications. You need to change the diet, that is key with Type 2 diabetes.
I do agree with many of your points Chronicle cat...part of the problem is how many are now being diagnosed with T2...we are told there is an epidemic & we may not have the funds to control it...other health issues are in the same position...mental health services...diabetes...social care...geriatrics all underfunded...not in my view particularly' fashionable' conditions often inferred that these are due to life style choices (oh how I hate that phrase)...instead of pointing the finger of blame (the press, our health care professionals etc) give support...once diagnosed surely the emphasis should be about how we can manage it...control it...not whether we are responsible or if it's self inflicted...there is a particular stigma attached to our condition...we have no screening programme for it...many like myself have probably been diabetic for several years before diagnosis...the tiredness...the craving for carbs...never getting enough carbs...the need to eat more...knowing what I know now if I were a GP & was presented with a patient with those symptoms...I would immediately test for diabetes...spend money now make an investment in those areas where real effective care is lacking...we should think of it as an investment...not a drain on our resources.

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lack of basic knowledge among diabetics & many of their health care teams is to a large extent responsible for the myths & misconceptions in type2 diabetes management Ian...Many DSN's & other HCP's make those comments 'if others took their care as seriously' that is shifting the responsibility without acknowledging how little accurate information/advice/support we are given...I speak from experience...I have friends who several years post diagnosis had no idea what an HbA1c test was...they had never heard of LCHF...or alternative diets...they were advised not to test...to rely on the bi-annual or annual HbA1c test...some were advised they would progress to insulin anyway & complications would follow... they took their GP/DSN's advice...after all those HCP's would want what's best for them surely...we need to question the vast amount of money that is wasted in failing diabetes education...a more positive approach would be beneficial...convincing T2's they could make improvement in their diabetes management...achieve good control that would avoid or delay complications...we have to address the lack of care overall...I am not a medic...I therefore need to be treated by my GP...we all need a cure...I feel confident I can manage my diabetes...others may not be so confident or effective...they need support not judgement as given by your DSN...I work in a profession which is publicly funded...every year I have to complete continuing professional education...be assessed...demonstrate I know what I am doing...surely that's not too much to ask of our HCP's...why you feel I would want you to delete your post or leave the forum I have no idea...there are bound to be opposing views in any forum...a robust discussion very often opens doors & should be encouraged.
I would also say some of us are looking to shift blame just as much as we claim DNs etc are. I also feel many on here have a very rigid idea of what constitutes basic knowledge and what good care would look like.. If those criteria aren't met nothing will be considered adequate. I don't think you are like that but certainly some are. There is a prevailing orthodoxy on these boards which is almost as resistant to any dissent as the NHS orthodoxy. I know people on here are confident in managing their condition which was a major part part of my first post. I also know fellow diabetics who definitely fit the "I take my medicine so I will be ok" criteria no matter how much I or anyone else explains. I am absolutely certain things can be improved and equally certain many diabetics will believe they can be medicated and continue living as they always have.

ding79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit late i know but ive been rushing around like a demented rushing around thing all day. 6.1 at 7.00 this morning - burger with bacon and stilton (no roll) and 2 or 3 cheeky chips last night so im ok with this reading. Heading back home to the frozen north now after a fairly glorious bit if weather in the world's greatest capital (thats London btw, not Paris as Mrs I seems to think). Some really deep posts to re-read during my 2 hours with Virgin, this site should be worth hours of CPD to GPs and DNs!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also say some of us are looking to shift blame just as much as we claim DNs etc are. I also feel many on here have a very rigid idea of what constitutes basic knowledge and what good care would look like.. If those criteria aren't met nothing will be considered adequate. I don't think you are like that but certainly some are. There is a prevailing orthodoxy on these boards which is almost as resistant to any dissent as the NHS orthodoxy. I know people on here are confident in managing their condition which was a major part part of my first post. I also know fellow diabetics who definitely fit the "I take my medicine so I will be ok" criteria no matter how much I or anyone else explains. I am absolutely certain things can be improved and equally certain many diabetics will believe they can be medicated and continue living as they always have.
I have friends who have the same view Ian...they have been prescribed medicine by a DSN/GP and they rely on that to their detriment...a friend refers to me as the diabetes police and will not make changes to her lifestyle despite my advice...she had been badly advised & is now so far down the line she has serious complications...she doesn't believe she can make any improvement...we need to remove the negative advice...the failing advice...not every thing in diabetes world is rosy...we need consistent solid reliable advice & care meted out to T2's...continuity is essential not the piece meal conflicting approach we have at present...there are two major diabetes forums in the UK...here & DUK...one is a charity the other a commercial site...members of those forums make great progress yet those organisations do not have the funds resources or the reach of our NHS...a strange dichotomy indeed...if DCUK & DUK can get members off to a good start why shouldn't we expect the same or better from our NHS...yes of course there are those who would not take advice...be in denial somehow think it won't happen to them...however there are many more that want to be in control of their conditions...they should have that opportunity which is lacking at present.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
part of the problem is how many are now being diagnosed with T2...we are told there is an epidemic & we may not have the funds to control it...other health issues are in the same position...mental health services...diabetes...social care...geriatrics all underfunded...not in my view particularly' fashionable' conditions often inferred that these are due to life style choices (oh how I hate that phrase)...instead of pointing the finger of blame (the press, our health care professionals etc) give support...once diagnosed surely the emphasis should be about how we can manage it...control it...not whether we are responsible or if it's self inflicted...there is a particular stigma attached to our condition...we have no screening programme for it...many like myself have probably been diabetic for several years before diagnosis...the tiredness...the craving for carbs...never getting enough carbs...the need to eat more...knowing what I know now if I were a GP & was presented with a patient with those symptoms...I would immediately test for diabetes...spend money now make an investment in those areas where real effective care is lacking...we should think of it as an investment...not a drain on our resources.

Bubsie, I agree. We have exactly the same issues (epidemic levels, neglect of diabetes, mental health, geriatrics, concerns about funding for the future) in our health care system (Ontario, Canada - health care is a provincial responsibility but other provinces also have the same issues.) We also have the same attitudes and stigma to Type 2 and there is no screening problem here either. (There are voluntary screening programs now here for colon cancer, breast cancer and cervical cancer but none for diabetes.)

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit late i know but ive been rushing around like a demented rushing around thing all day. 6.1 at 7.00 this morning - burger with bacon and stilton (no roll) and 2 or 3 cheeky chips last night so im ok with this reading. Heading back home to the frozen north now after a fairly glorious bit if weather in the world's greatest capital (thats London btw, not Paris as Mrs I seems to think). Some really deep posts to re-read during my 2 hours with Virgin, this site should be worth hours of CPD to GPs and DNs!
I agree it would be beneficial for GP's & DSN's to read this forum ding...as an ex-Londoner born & raised there... I agree... London is the greatest capital...I'm not biased at all...honest;)

Reactions: Cumberland

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bubsie, I agree. We have exactly the same issues in our health care system (Ontario, Canada - health care is a provincial responsibility but other provinces also have the same issues.) We also have the same attitudes and stigma to Type 2 and there is no screening problem here either. (There are voluntary screening programs now here for colon cancer, breast cancer and cervical cancer but none for diabetes.)
Occasionally people will ask me what type of diabetes I have...sometimes the response is 'oh the easy one all you need to do is lose weight'...I don't react to that Chronicle Cat it does disappoint me that no account is taken of any genetic pre-disposition...or familial link...I have a brother who was diagnosed over ten years ago had I know or been advised it can run in families I certainly would have had myself tested for diabetes...I once saw a question here that was so relevant to how I feel about my condition...the poster asked whether his weight had caused his diabetes or his diabetes had caused his weight gain...we need to remove the stigma stop those that have no understanding of how/why it develops pointing the finger of blame...we need to stop that...do you have anything equivalent to our NHS in Canada...or is it private health care?

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have friends who have the same view Ian...they have been prescribed medicine by a DSN/GP and they rely on that to their detriment...a friend refers to me as the diabetes police and will not make changes to her lifestyle despite my advice...she had been badly advised & is now so far down the line she has serious complications....if DCUK & DUK can get members off to a good start why shouldn't we expect the same or better from our NHS...yes of course there are those who would not take advice...be in denial somehow think it won't happen to them...however there are many more that want to be in control of their conditions...they should have that opportunity which is lacking at present.
I agree good advice is key. I am more ambivalent about what that is but I do see testing as a key part of this. I also see where you are coming from with the dislike of the lifestyle choices mantra but feel that unless we take some responsibility for our situation we will end up like those who rely solely on medication. By being on here and testing we have at least tacitly accepted responsibility and agency in this process. Even with good advice we must all make changes and take responsibility. I think we actually agree to a large extent. Maybe I am too kind to the HCPs but I think someone with a spreadsheet has calculated the cost of good courses and strips against known/estimated numbers who would follow/use them and told them it is not worth it:arghh:

Reactions: geefull

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bubsie, I agree. We have exactly the same issues (epidemic levels, neglect of diabetes, mental health, geriatrics, concerns about funding for the future) in our health care system (Ontario, Canada - health care is a provincial responsibility but other provinces also have the same issues.) We also have the same attitudes and stigma to Type 2 and there is no screening problem here either. (There are voluntary screening programs now here for colon cancer, breast cancer and cervical cancer but none for diabetes.)
Occasionally people will ask me what type of diabetes I have...sometimes the response is 'oh the easy one all you need to do is lose weight'...I don't react to that Chronicle Cat it does disappoint me that no account is taken of any genetic pre-disposition...or familial link...I have a brother who was diagnosed over ten years ago had I know or been advised it can run in families I certainly would have had myself tested for diabetes...I once saw a question here that was so relevant to how I feel about my condition...the poster asked whether his weight had caused his diabetes or had his diabetes caused his weight gain...we need to remove the stigma & stop those that have no understanding of how/why it develops pointing the finger of blame...don't vilify diabetes support them...do you have anything equivalent to our NHS in Canada...or is it private health care?

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
@Bubbsie I don't think I ever implied T2 was people's just deserts or I'm alright mate but there. I have what I consider to be very poor control and limited knowledge yet my DN tells me she wishes others took their own care as seriously. From that and the fact that this site has a tiny fraction of the diabetics in this country I conclude the majority do not take such an active part in their management as we do. I don't feel that the current advice or help are at all adequate but I do feel we have created for ourselves a culture where we expect everything to be treated/cured by someone else. I am not looking to censure anyone or disagree about the need to improve the standard of advice offered. Quite happy to delete posts or leave the forum.[/QUOTE
I agree it would be beneficial for GP's & DSN's to read this forum ding...as an ex-Londoner born & raised there... I agree... London is the greatest capital...I'm not biased at all...honest;)
The biggest issue I see, and it does just apply to diabetes, is that belief is preached as knowledge and taken as science when often its voodoo with a cult following but has amazing PR

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
The biggest issue I see, and it does just apply to diabetes, is that belief is preached as knowledge and taken as science when often its voodoo with a cult following but has amazing PR

Reactions: HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree good advice is key. I am more ambivalent about what that is but I do see testing as a key part of this. I also see where you are coming from with the dislike of the lifestyle choices mantra but feel that unless we take some responsibility for our situation we will end up like those who rely solely on medication. By being on here and testing we have at least tacitly accepted responsibility and agency in this process. Even with good advice we must all make changes and take responsibility. I think we actually agree to a large extent. Maybe I am too kind to the HCPs but I think someone with a spreadsheet has calculate the cost of good course and strips against known/estimated number who would follow them and told them it is not worth it:arghh:
Ian I have my testing strips on prescription now having initially self funded for almost a year...on a point of principle I asked my GP to prescribe them...he agreed but advised the CCG would stop him...so we both agreed I would write to my local CCG...justify my need to have them prescribed...I read the NICE guidelines...digested the minutes of every meeting of the CCG where they discussed this issue...I challenged them & was successful...we need to ensure good advice is available for those who want it...it's the opportunity I want made available...clearly opportunities are given or taken...if some choose not to take responsibility there is little we can do about that...there have been no valid clinical studies on the benefits of SMBG...the Farmer et al study where the participants were given a diet to follow for three months (I think it was 3 months) without testing...then a f another three months testing their BG but on exactly the same diet...that study found there was no overall benefit to that group from SMBG...of course without a change in diet the testing was entirely redundant from the start...their HbA1c's would be exactly the same...it was a complete waste of time...apart from the Framer study I know of no others...so until there is some objective clinical trial the mathematicians who make those calls are basing them on supposition.

Reactions: geefull

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Occasionally people will ask me what type of diabetes I have...sometimes the response is 'oh the easy one all you need to do is lose weight'...I don't react to that Chronicle Cat it does disappoint me that no account is taken of any genetic pre-disposition...or familial link...I have a brother who was diagnosed over ten years ago had I know or been advised I certainly would have had myself tested for diabetes...I once saw a question here that was so relevant to how I feel about my condition...the poster asked whether his weight had caused his diabetes or his diabetes had caused his weight gain...we need to remove the stigma stop those that have no understanding of how/why it develops pointing the finger of blame...we need to stop that...do you have anything equivalent to our NHS in Canada...or is it private health care?

Bubbsie, I agree with you. However, I'm an obese Type 2 who doesn't have a strong genetic family history, although I believe I had a maternal greatgrandfather who may have had Type 2 (my mom told me he was told to stop eating "starchy" food as it was bad for him by doctors - this was pre the discovery of insulin.) I've always put on weight easily (in comparision to some family members who ate more food and more junk food than I did.) I believe the factors that cause me to store fat so efficiently and become obese also caused me to eventually develop Type 2. Certainly my metabolism has always been different than some family members.

Yes, Canadians have a public health system similar to the NHS*, unlike Americans. It is provincially managed. The Canadian government gives money to all the provinces (and territories) and they manage health care. The provincial systems are very similar to each other and portable (if I get sick or need a hospital visiting another province, I don't worry about paying, my province pays their province what it would cost here.). This is an issue when Canadians go to the US, our system isn't as expensive as the USA, so most Canadians purchase travel health insurance to cover the extra costs there beyond what our system will pay. (We have to wait to be reimbursed for the US, unlike within Canada where no money changes hands if we need medical care outside our home province.)

*there are differences, ours is less comprehensive than NHS. Ours does not cover dental or foot care for diabetes or prescription drugs, although my province does have a program for low income people called Trillium for prescription drugs and test strips (depending on your Type of diabetes), Type 2s who are low income and use diet only only get 100 test strips per year covered. We buy our test strips at the pharmacy, doctors don't supply them or meters. For the low income prescription drug plan, you have a deductible based on your income (last tax return) and they pay when you pass that deductible. edited to add: everyone over 65 and people on welfare ("Ontario Works") and people on the disability support also cover similar coverage for prescription drugs with a deductible based on income. A previous provincial government put in free prescription drugs for those 25 and under. The newly elected government tightened up the rules on that, it now only applies to 25 and under if they have no coverage through their parents' insurance. There is a separate provincial program to cover 75% of the costs of "assistive devices" (ie. wheelchairs, etc - I think insulin pumps for Type 1s are funded under this although there are certain criteria they have to meet for funding.)

Last edited: