Type 1 I Feel Like I Speak About Diabetes Too Much

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like everyone is getting annoyed by me talking about my diabetes constantly. I speak about my diagnosis, slow acting carbs, insulin. Maybe I should just shut up? I feel like just everyone is getting sick of hearing about it. Like every conversation is about my diabetes. What should I do?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel like everyone is getting annoyed by me talking about my diabetes constantly. I speak about my diagnosis, slow acting carbs, insulin. Maybe I should just shut up? I feel like just everyone is getting sick of hearing about it. Like every conversation is about my diabetes. What should I do?

Well Alex, without sounding mean I think you should stop talking about it endlessly. Diabetes is not all that defines you. You will find most people are interested only up to a point, beyond that it becomes as boring as someone giving you a blow by blow account of their weight loss diet or their issues with their boyfriend! This site is the exception, you can talk about it as MUCH as you want. Out in the non diabetic world people simply do not care that much. Sorry to sound harsh but it is the reality.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We can become a little obsessed about our condition, give friends and family a rest for a while and chat here instead. So long as the site stays up of course!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Diabetes is a big deal in your life. And it's not in theirs, so yeah, it can make conversations a bit strained. I did slap people over the head with diabetes a lot, at the start, because I was going low carb and people insisted on feeding me cookies, cake etc, because "how bad could it be"... So to inform them and finally stop the plates of carby foods coming, it was, for a while, a constant conversation about T2 and how it impacted me. And it sunk in, after about 6 months. And I could stop talking about T2. Besides being a method to get people to stop trying to kill me with food and love (har har), it was a way to deal with the trauma of diagnosis. And it served its purpose. But you know, you need people to support you. Driving them off with an overdose of diabetes-talk isn't going to help you in the long run. So whenever you do feel like their attention is lagging and you find yourself talking about D again.... Just give it a twist to another subject, and go from there. Try not to be too heavy handed, though I know it can be hard with a subject like this.

I still talk a lot about diabetes by the way, though not that much in casual conversation, save to celebrate little victories with the people who know where I'm at. I just do it here, where no-one'll sigh at me and it's usually actually appreciated. ;)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
When you are newly diagnosed it is a phase that you go through; then people become bored with the topic, usually more quickly than you do and you realise that when you are at work you need to focus on what concerns your colleagues - their families, traumas etc. Try and discuss a hobby, something else that interests you, show that you are more than 'diabetes'. Even a single conversation about football/fashion/languages/music/news/politics/TV/IT makes a difference. There will always a be a wise cracker that will want to draw you back into your usual topic but refuse to be drawn, smile and stick with your new subject. Vent here about your concerns. Then you may find yourself being referred to as being 'the diabetes expert' with people coming to you with questions that they genuine want answers for.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm lucky I suppose one of my beat friends is T2 so never gets bored with it.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can relate. If I'm focused on it, I talk about it a lot. If I'm not focused on it, it's hard not to slide down a slippery-slope into old behaviors. That's one of the reasons I come here. I can "talk" about it all I want to like-minded people, and I can "listen" to other peoples experiences without boring the **** out of my friends and colleagues. I try not to talk too much about it unless it comes up now.

Reactions: Dodo

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You should talk about it less.

sunny_alice

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Feel you, @Alex_B .
It's just a phase, since that's a new diagnosis for you. If you feel like you're talking about it too much, try to stop for a moment and speak about something different (you probably have something to tell, smth that is not related to your condition?). But you shouldn't quit this topic completely, since your close friends, family and other loved ones should be informed about your condition (in case of emergency). Though, there's a big difference between informing someone that you have some issues and talking about it instantly. If you talk about diabetes so often, it wouldn't make any sense to anyone. Be sure, you're more interesting than your diabetes :)

Also, have you thought about the reason behind your talk? Do you feel nervous about it?

Reactions: mondFi

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I only talk about if when I feel sick.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont talk about it hardly ever...the one time i did thier next question was 'you want sugar in your coffee jim'...!!!
Erm i just said i got f•••g diabetes...lol

Reactions: Down-Jai 001

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
T2 diabetes is rather like saying you were gay 30 years ago. Most people did not want to know and many think each of us is personally responsible for our chronic condition so they cannpt empathize/sympathize. There are about 10% of the population that are diabetic, probably a lot more than LGBTQs. We need to make ourselves known not just in this forum but we must not talk about the details as this just turns people off. Sorry bit of a rant here. Not very English to talk about your illnesses too much but en masse we need to make ourselves heard.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spotted myself going on about it when newly diagnosed. Its a natural thing with the shock and realisation of it all. Up to that point I had not really thought about it, as most people do not. To us, its a big thing, a major factor in our lives. Its good to let off steam and talk, but probably best done here, where we all share that interest and some knowledge!

feraljohn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know exactly where you are coming from.. My wife does not want to hear about it or help, my friends are not interested. It becomes a case of me against the world because no one else wants to know about it. Dealing with blood sugar and dietary problems are bad enough without living in a house where there are constantly bad food choices available. Sometimes I feel that having someone to talk to would be the greatest thing ever.

baroque541

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think people understand that you need to talk about something that is as hard to understand as type 1. For me it was a part of understanding more myself, to talk about it with others - although I did bore the pants off my partner for a while. As time goes on, you may find that closer friends with enquiring minds may ask you specific questions. This where I am at now - I don't talk much about it unless it is making life difficult, or I have lost the plot in a major way - but the odd well-targeted question can make me stop and think in a constructive way.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Being diagnosed is a big shock and it runs your thoughts for a while as you get used to it. Try not to worry too much, your true friends will tolerate it, just as you would tolerate them talking a lot about a new hobby or partner. After a while, you will have noticed what works and what doesn't and it will not be on your mind do much

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you joined the forum 2 years ago I take it you are not recently diagnosed with T1 so really can't understand why you still talk about it all the time to everyone of course they will get bored and annoyed with it and you do need to stop. Come on the forum and talk to others who are young like you and have T1 they will be much better listeners and understand how you feel and you support each other there is more to your life than just the diabetes

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, if I was Type 1, I’d join the Facebook group Type1Grit. That group is specifically for Type 1 people, a lot of them younger people who want to ‘tackle’ their condition and achieve truly normal blood sugars, following Dr Richard Bernstein’s principals. Dr Richard Bernstein is truly inspirational.

On that Facebook page you would find motivated individuals pro-actively managing their condition and supporting one another. It would be a good place to just ‘chat’, share concerns etc etc and maybe your normal conversations with people who do not share that common interest, would become less diabetes focussed!

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
A desire to discuss something that has had a huge impact on your life is perfectly normal.
Empathetic people around would show understanding and at least some interest, at least in the beginning, in attempt to show support and comfort to your plight and trials.
If those around you appear uninterested, and if this is the case from the get-go with them, well.... that says more about them than it does you (you may be surrounded by self-interested people who lack of empathy towards others). However, if they showed genuine interest and empathy in the beginning, and now seem disinterested, perhaps you have been going on too long and "barking up the wrong tree", so to speak, and it's time to engage with other diabetics, diabetic groups/communities, etc... such as here... to gain more knowledge and validation.

Reactions: Down-Jai 001

Down-Jai 001

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best place to discuss when we have any problems is here, as we're in the same boat.