pre-diabetes and very thin

elisa02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, how nice to meet you! two months ago I discovered my A1c 5.8%. since January I had cut sugars but without success, the A1c exceeded the limit. My current problem is that I weighed 53kg at 1.61m in January. and now I'm weighing 46 kg! Everyone says I'm too thin, eating too little. I would like to regain my weight without affecting glucose. I'm doing bodybuilding. by the personal experience of each of you, could you tell me what foods you eat without affecting glucose? I would like to test and discuss with my nutritionist. I'm 39 years old.about physical activity, which do you think is most effective in controlling diabetes? walking, running, bodybuilding, aerobics, work out?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes control for type twos is really all about the carbohydrate in the diet - trying to control it by being active isn't really all that effective.
Building muscle is probably a good thing, just for everyday life in general, but eating so your blood glucose is in safe limits is how many people achieve control.
You can eat any meat or fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese, low carb dairy - including the natural fat they might have, low carb veges and salad stuff, also berries, though it seems best to eat small amounts, with cream.
Eating higher carb foods in small amounts is probably not a good idea, as it restricts the calories and the nutrients.
Have you been tested for Type one?

Reactions: elisa02

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you been tested for Type one?
Yes, I know T2s can be thin but I've got to think that T1/LADA seems very likely given @elisa02 's symptoms. If she's not producing insulin, then diet and exercise really aren't going to make a difference....

elisa02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @EllieM @Resurgam
well, I did not do exams to know if I am t2 or t1, nor did I know that I could be LADA, I still have a lot to learn, but I realized that glucose is higher after 30 minutes of the meal (the highest I measured was 172 ). 1h after the meal is already at normal levels (111 + -), I imagine that insulin still acts. but as a precaution I will research t2 t1 with the doctor.
I keep eating bread every other day, because I realized that it does not increase so much, but I will consider cutting the bread and replacing it with other food. I always ate bad, sweets, cakes, pizzas, I'm a fan of bread. Maybe my mistake is there.
my nutritionist recommended brown rice, oat bran and yam, potatoes with peel. but I'm not so sure they're good choices.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like it's quite possible you are LADA and in the honeymoon period where you are producing some but not enough insulin. The body will therefore burn body fat instead of carbs. Have enough fats and proteins whilst keeping the carbs down. Ask the GP to do the two tests that help diagnose LADA (T1) i.e. GAD for antibodies and c-peptide to measure your insulin production. If you are LADA you will need to at least start relevant tablets and move on to insulin sooner rather than later