How can I sweeten my coffee?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as well about the powdered eggs. For your information: I think you can stop worrying and can leave powdered eggs off your Never to Buy list without risk. I suspect they have long been totally unobtainable.

I suspect as the UK returns to "Blighty" powdered eggs will soon become available.... :(

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as well about the powdered eggs. For your information: I think you can stop worrying and can leave powdered eggs off your Never to Buy list without risk. I suspect they have long been totally unobtainable.
You will find powdered eggs are easily obtainable on Amazon.
I just have a small amount of milk in my coffee, about 2g of carbs a cup.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stevia (aka Sweet Leaf) is as natural as you can get if you grow your own plants and then dry the leaves and convert to powder...:cool: I remember seeing a post on the forum from someone who did/does this

Robbity

Yes, very true, but what you get in the stores, is usually stuffed with this and that, in addition to the stevia extract...

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've looked at Stevia tabs, have to be very careful as some of them have all sorts of nasties in them.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't like coffee or tea without sweetener. I tried various sweeteners and found I like Splenda best. It tastes like sugar to me, but I only use one teaspoonful instead of two sugars.

I also liked Sweet n Low, I used to grab a handful of the sachets when I went in Starbucks, but don't go in there now.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, very true, but what you get in the stores, is usually stuffed with this and that, in addition to the stevia extract...
Which is why you should always read the ingredients lists. Erythritol/stevia combinations won't (usually) have any fillers, but branded ones in supermarkets generally tend to be the worst offenders.

Robbity

Bumley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pettiness and lazy minds
I have really tried to have my coffee with cream without a sweetener. I tried using Xylitol but it gave me indigestion. Does anyone have suggestions.
I like xylitol as a granulated sweetener on porridge and use a xylitol spray to relieve a dry mouth problem when using a CPAP machine. I cant say I have had any tummy problems with it. I had a lecture once from a friend who is a Barista who told me that it was a sacrilege to put sweetener or sugar in a espresso coffee of any description because it deadened the taste of a real coffee. I took this to heart and have now weaned myself off sweetener in coffee altogether. I still have one sweetener in tea and I am reducing that as well. I am also substituting blueberries (defrosted the night before) in porridge and very pleased with the result.

Reactions: Prem51

trollhunter

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
This forum arbitrarily setting me to a type 1 when I am not.
Before being diagnosed I would drink both tea & coffee with a healthy slap of a teaspoon of sugar. After being diagnosed and shifting in to lchf, I stopped drinking both. It was good 8 or 10 weeks before I tried either, and I made an effort not to use sugar in either.

I found that tea with sweetner was too much, so now have a quarter or slightly less in tea.
With coffee i was incredibly surprised to find I could handle without any sugar at all. In fact if I accidentally slurp from the OH cup with sugar in it tastes foul to me. I expected it to be the opposite way round.

I have read that sometimes by not eating something you can 'reset' the tastebuds and your reaction. How true this is i am not entirely sure. It worked with coffee, and I have more appreciation for some foods. Sadly it has not worked for me and jelly babies, but could be worth a try!!

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
According to my research erythritol, which can be found naturally in some fruits or fermented foods, doesn't normally have the same effects as other polyols as our bodies process it slightly differently, (e.g. see Wikipedia entry here) and it's one of two alternative sweeteners - the other being stevia - that are generally recommended as safe for diabetic use. I certainly haven't ever had any issues with it in nearly 5 years use.

Can't stand it. It has an unpleasant bitter cooling effect in the mouth, and whilst it *may* not affect blood sugar, everyone is different in how they react, and it can spike some people. Same with stevia, there are a fair few who are actually allergic to the stevia plant family(can't remember which, may be a ragwort), who should not use it. Try having too much of it........

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
Saccharine. Cheap, tiny tablets to carry around. Tastes like sugar to me - but then before diabetes I never tasted sugar.
I agree Alexandra. However, I have struggled to find
Saccharine. Cheap, tiny tablets to carry around. Tastes like sugar to me - but then before diabetes I never tasted sugar.
I used 'Boots' saccharine tablets for years. However, not been able to find saccharines anywhere locally so I've resorted to 'slimmer' tablets which have not affected by BS or caused any other issues.